Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 19 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Cheap Airfare !!!
Posted: 2005-12-18, 7:18 pm

funfor2houston
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
What has happened we cannot find airfare to Amsterdam this year for under 700.00 U S from Houston. I quess the higher fuel costs have impacted things badly.. Last year we flew in May round trip from Houston for 375.00 including al fees. How are the higher air fares affecting Amsterdam ???? Now everyone is telling us to go to Las Vegas for cost reasons........Guess we will continue to watch Hotwire and Travelzoo..
Re: Cheap Airfare !!!
Posted: 2005-12-18, 7:25 pm

StarrDluX
wow that is surprising...

we paid about $450 with everything from Atlanta in late September..

Posted: 2005-12-18, 9:59 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Recently paid $495 from Chgo. Check www.mobissimo.com and www.1800flyeurope.com
Posted: 2005-12-18, 10:40 pm

snowultra
you get much better than that. i found on a last minute airfare for $400 and $230 in taxes so $630 total. google as many airfare site you can find i think the cheapest i found was $600 but thats better than what your paying. i hope you goto more than just those two sites? there is like 20 or 30 of them i remember finding a deal that was 850 for two plane tickets to amsterdam, but i always fly solo so i just checked it out and i think it was in febuary. right now im seeing so many deals for like $400 to ireland. you may be able to fly to ireland cheap and than pay another $100 to amsterdam thats better than the $750. it may cut into your time a little, but if you plan it all out on internet it should waste maybe a half day.

heres some websites with airplane information--travelpunk.com( scroll down the page and click on cheap flights--they have a section for european air travel only)
goto frommers, lets go, travel talk, virtual tourist, fodors they always deals on there pages---i forget the name but there is that last minute deal site ---i would google last minute travel deals and see what comes up

Posted: 2005-12-18, 11:02 pm

snowultra
i dont know when your flying so i cant pick a dates, but in may of this year i cant find anything less than $723------so your $700 airfare just maybe pretty cheap
they have some deals in the $600 something but none of them leave from houston

if you leave your dates when you travel i will also check my usual sites from time to time and if i find something cheap i will post it for you.

Posted: 2005-12-19, 4:13 am

germanicus
From Boston and JFK right now for january you can fly from 390-500usd RT
I got mine with a voucher for 211$ Unheard of I know but I got the receipt to prove it.
Does KLM fly out of Houston or is it a straight up continental shop?
Posted: 2005-12-19, 6:57 am

greta
i think that the airlines are cutting back on theur flights coz of fuel costs, they'd rather have one full flight and turn some customers away than two below capacity flights.

we've always found that the best thing is either to get to a larger city with more transatlantic flights - eg NY, Boston, DC, or to fly via London which has plenty of cheapo flights (look up BMI website)

happy trails

greta
Posted: 2005-12-22, 2:37 am

funfor2houston
We want to travel in Mid May and just checking today we are seeing 720.00 that is with taxes . Hotwire always includes taxes . But like I said last year we went in May for 375 .00 RT with taxes a heck of a lot better then 720.00. I am going to have to contact the Wizards Of Winter !! I can fly right now out of Houston for 520.00 but we don't want to go now . Someone find cheap rates in May '
Funfor2Houston
Posted: 2005-12-22, 10:57 pm

Joecaddy
Try travelocity.com, when you register for free you can set up a profile/destination preferences, such as Amsterdam, e-mail alerts are sent to you automatically when the price fluctuates up or down from the airlines and upon receipt of price change you can book your flight direct from the carrier's own website so to eliminate middle-man fees. I am always notified of the price changes and jump on the cheap airfares. Northwest Airlines/ KLM is my choice with frequent flyer miles I buy three round trips and get one free.

Lang Leve Nederlands!

Joecaddy.....
Posted: 2005-12-23, 7:39 am

sun-n-fun Moderator
asked 1800flyeurope.com for flight info.

for my dates and city it provides 27 flights. all sold out.

what kind of 'user friendly' site is that? Does not take a whole lot of effort to elimiate 'sold out' flights.

I will not visit that site again.
Posted: 2005-12-23, 1:52 pm

germanicus
I'd hold off on the may 720$ right now. northwest usually drops prices around january. Icelandair is also an option if you don't mind a free layover in reyjavik
Posted: 2006-02-02, 3:20 am

dutchi
Air fare is more expensive this year than recently between US & Europe for my experience, so it goes. Not to mentione the conversion rate.

You can go to Yahoo travel and set up alerts for when flights drop a certain % or to a dollar amount, and get e-mails to book a flight during a range of days.

There are a slew of budget air lines serving Europe, too. If you find a cheap flight to Paris or somewhere else, you can then book a cheap flight, 1-way or round trip, to other sites in Europe.

Check Frommer's web site or Smart Travel to look for articles identifying these cheap airlines. Beware than in some (many?) cases they are secondary airports to the city, and can be quite a distance from the central city.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 3:44 am

Whytwatr
Take a look at this web site, fares seem competitive.

http://www.cheaptickets.nl/2.0/lijndienstvluchtene.asp
Posted: 2006-02-02, 4:38 am

dutchi
European cheap air sites include

http://www.easyjet.com/en/book/index.asp
http://www.ryanair.com
http://www.smartwings.com/

& articles include
http://www.frommers.com/articles/2978.html
http://www.frommers.com/articles/2879.html
Posted: 2006-02-02, 5:02 am

daveinadam
We are going this year mid May instead of April. We are going from Pensacola Florida to Houston then Amsterdam. We got $670.00 per person round trip.Continenal airlines lowest we could find. If your going don't delay inside line they will be going up more very soon.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 6:42 am

kidnotorious2001
Hi everyone! I just checked www.1800flyeurope.com, and found $448 roundtrip from atlanta.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 10:30 am

Quinn63
Nonstop detroit to ams costs me 665 roundtrip. Up about 200 from my usuall fair. And I have to fly on a Airbus A330 instead of my usual Boing747( I cant wait to fly on a dreamliner...
Posted: 2006-02-02, 10:35 am

Quinn63
This thread just had to make me check, It figures, the $665 flight I booked 2 weeks ago has droped to $609...
Posted: 2006-02-03, 7:59 am

Mr.Plug
Hi guys,

I really enjoy these kinds of threads, but it would benefit all of us so much more if everybody could be extremely clear about the following when quoting flight charges:

1) Is the flight quoted in US dollars, Euros, Sterling, etc.?
2) Between what cities exactly is this fare valid for?
and most important:
3) Does the fare include all taxes and fees?

Example: to say, "I found a fare to A'dam for 679" doesn't tell us anything!

Here's my contribution:

Phoenix to AMS, Feb. 9-13, via Houston on Continental: TOTAL cost was $443. (including all taxes and fees). Unfortunately I could have booked this last week, and the fare is no longer available (as of today). But it was an AWESOME deal, considering I first flew to A'dam (from PHX) in Dec. 2000 for $435. all included (which was also a great deal at that time).

Check out the fare watcher function on Travelocity to find these great deals. Northwest has been the leader in initiating these kinds of fares this winter, with Continental and Delta frequently matching.

-- Mr. Plug
 [ 19 posts ] 

Jump to: