Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
February 19th to the 22nd Events
Posted: 2006-01-02, 9:01 pm

Kraut
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
What type of events will be taking place during February? I have read that Carnval festivals will be going on in Amsterdam. Thanks
Re: February 19th to the 22nd Events
Posted: 2006-02-02, 8:43 pm

drew71
The only thing going on is the festival of Man-(ville). Should check it out.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 9:25 pm

Kraut
Funny I guess
Posted: 2006-02-02, 9:50 pm

uberchef
I don't know of any 'events' per se, but I do know of several cultural points of interest--museum exhibitions and otherwise--that I'll be making an effort to experience over the weekend...

1. Indonesia: The Discovery of the Past
Nieuwe Kerk, Dam (+31 (0)20 638 6909/www.nieuwekerk.nl).
10am-6pm Fri-Wed, 10am-10pm Thur. €10. Cash only. Date Dec 17-Apr 17.

In tribute to the Netherland's most sprawling of former colonies, over three hundred treasures from the National Museum of Indonesia in Jakarta and the Museum of Ethnology in Leiden have been brought together at the ancient 'New Church'. Highlights include six huge sculptures from the 13th Century Singasari period and stunning gold and palace masterpieces from Sulawesi, Bali and Lombok.

2. DEALING WITH THE GODS - Rituals in Hindu Religion @ The Tropenmuseum
Until t/m 10 September 2006 in the Light Hall

For Hindus, the gods are everywhere: in temples, at work, in the car and in nature. Dealing with the Gods is a show that reveals how Hindus live with their gods. At important moments in life, like birth, marriage and death, but also in mundane, everyday existence. An exhibition full of fascinating rituals, colours and fragrances, bringing you face to face with gods such as Lakshmi, Vishnu and Ganesha.

Who wants to know everything can choose between the path of love, wisdom or wealth. All paths provide astonishing insights, spiritual wisdom and small presents. Make contact with the gods and find the key to happiness.Looking for love, wisdom and wealth? Come to the Tropenmuseum and make a deal with the gods ...

3. Colour! Among the Greeks and Etruscans
Allard Pierson Museum, Oude Turfmarkt 127 (+31 (0)21 525 2556/www.uba.uva.nl/apm).
10am-5pm Tue-Fri; 1-5pm Sat, Sun. €5 . No credit cards. Date Dec 1-Mar 26.

All those ancient marble columns and sculptures we thought populated the Classical World were in fact not a pristine white but a cacophony of florid colour. While Michelangelo assumed that he was being inspired by antiquity when he started on his David, he was in fact being inspired by an antiquity so old that the paint had long fallen off. That’s right: the ancients were just as kitsch as we are and this wonderful exhibition at the University of Amsterdam’s archaeology museum lets you see many classics of lost times as they were truly meant to be seen. Bring your sun glasses.

Have a great weekend in Amsterdam!
Cheers,
~uber.
Posted: 2006-02-02, 10:14 pm

uberchef
I'd add that Carnival IS taking place the following week and weekend (Thursday - Monday) in Koln, Germany!

Certain members of this board would smile to know that Thursday is officially designated as the one day of the year when all the girls are obliged to accept a kiss from any dude ;-) I'm sure you can stretch that right out to varying degrees of success throughout the weekend!

~uber.
Posted: 2006-02-03, 5:54 pm

drew71
dick bruna huis, a home for miffy
Opening on February 18, 2006
Centraal Museum, Utrecht

I also hear than some privehuis exist in Utrecht, or maybe its the 6'5" dutch woman near the dock. I'm there on sunday or Monday. How far via train is utrecht from Amsterdam?
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: