Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
The Chowhound is Loose!
Posted: 2006-01-07, 12:26 am

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Greetz dear Ignatzmeese, and a happy nieuwe jaar to all.

Happy to report that against all better judgement I impulsively booked a trip back to good old Amsterdam for a long weekend in February....!

Getting back in the Amsterdam mindstate is always a welcome sensation....there's loads to get excited about, obviously....the city some of all call 'home' in reality (and others call 'home' in their dreams of course!) serves up a hedonistic smorgasbord of debauchery, topped with a provocative sauce of European sensibility...what's not to love? All that being said, the place is simply titillating.

Between now and my departure, I'm incorporating the best of my pursuasive tactics in order to convince any one of my noncommital mates in to joining me for the trip....Although it would be nice to have a good buddy along for the ride, it just doesn't look all that promising at the moment. Regardless of prospective travel companions, I've already got a tidy looking flat reserved for the weekend in an area of town I haven't stayed in all my previous visits...it's a gezzelig-looking apartment located on the corner of Marnixstraat and the Rozengracht, just south of de Jordaan...only 4 stops on the tram from Centraal Station, and looks quite equidistant from the RLD as the Leidseplein, perhaps. I'm psyched either way, because it's something fresh and new. Might anyone have some experience staying, strolling and/or most importantly, eating in this part of town? If so, please be so kind as to drop me a dime with information...I'd appreciate it!

On the lines of eating, well, I'm on the market for some tasty wintertime epicurean treats as per the usual. I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who could share some recent-ish reports from the Amsterdam field....what's tasty these days? And I don't just mean fine dining either. Amsterdam's glorious tradition of colonialism equates to delicious ethnic cuisines coming out the yin-yang so be your restaurant a saturday-only burrito cart on the Nieuwemarkt or a Surinamese noodleshop in de Pijp, bring on the chow! My stomach is growling at the prospects....

Although I was just passing through town in August, it seems as if it's been an eternity since then...I'm looking forward to ending the hiatus. Warm regards to the Ignatz literatti who have peppered my orevious visits with a welcoming kindness--I hope to again share some lekker biertjes with you this February. 'Till Amsterdam!

~Uber
Re: The Chowhound is Loose!
Posted: 2006-01-07, 1:01 am

withnail Power Kat
...and we look forward to greeting you once again, mr.uberchef.

regards from amsterdam

withnail
Posted: 2006-01-07, 1:51 am

GrijpstraSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hello Uberchef and any others interested.
A few of us have a tentative meet planned at Cafe 't Arendsnest ( Herengracht 90) for Dutch beer tasting at 6pm or across the canal at Coffeeshop Amnesia @ 7pm on February 16th.

Seeing new parts of the city each trip definitely adds depth to the experience.
Posted: 2006-01-07, 3:01 am

greta
>On the lines of eating, well, I'm on the market for some tasty wintertime epicurean treats as per the usual.

damn! I won't be in the Dam! And I had something special in mind for you to eat ;-)/
Posted: 2006-01-07, 7:24 am

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
The tomato soup at Paradox is outstanding (kitchen open until 3pm). They sometimes have a shitake mushroom soup that's even better. The soup is served with a large warm roll. I can't imagine a better wintertime lunch. I'll be back in Amsterdam this coming Friday for 4 days with a friend who's a bit older than me. He grew up in Holland, coming to the US when he was 18. I was talking to him tonight and he promised to take me on a tour of the Dutch cuisine he loved as a boy. I don't know whether to be excited or very scared.

Last edited by abc123 on 2006-01-08, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2006-01-07, 2:04 pm

StarrDluX
dang it ya'll i am so jealous!

we met up with BigBen & uberchef last February and had quite a good time.

if ya'll find yourselves there on the 17th have a drink/smoke/fuck in my honor please as it will be my 25th!

Posted: 2006-01-08, 7:12 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Uberchef,

I'm staying on Reestraat. The neighborhood is great. No neon, no hustle.
I recommend Carumba on the corner of Lindengracht and Lindbahngracht.
TexMex and Central American food, great Margueritas.

FreeCity is just up the street. The pool room in the back has a stunning view over the canal, and the weed is very reasonable.

Weasel

Posted: 2006-01-09, 4:38 pm

uberchef
Its always nice to come back to work after the weekend and have a solid follow-up to your post, so thanks to all for the replies!

Ben, I won't be arriving 'till the 17th so I'll be a day late for the tasting unfortunately....I've not been to Arendsnest yet, but am very interested in BeNeLux brews! I hope to do a happy hour 'round the same time the following day (Saturday 18th) at the Brouwer'ij T'IJ. Feel welcome to join!

Greta, ah, um....well yes, I think had our timing been more coordinated, I would have been willing to prepare a special chef's tasting menu for YOUR delight ;) Alas, perhaps another time.

Mr. ABC, Paradox sounds like a gezzellig spot if ever there was one...there's nothing better than a delicious bowl of soup to warm you up in Winter's heart...I had a delicious one on my last trip at a small eatery on the Herengracht serving up Organic fare in simple surrounds...the place is called t' Buffet van Yvette & Odette (longest name ever), but the "BLT" Soup (Creamy tomato soup topped with smoky, crispy bacon chunks and a handful of micro arugala) was memorable. Please be so kind as to report back to us with the current state of Dutch cuisine upon your return! and have yourself an excellent trip.

Dear Starr, well of course I'll do my best to accomplish all three of your requests in honor of your birthday :) Gonna miss you this time.

Finally, Weas, I hope to have a game or two of pool/billiards over the weekend, so FreeCity might just turn in to my evening chill spot! Thanks for the recommendation mate.

Thanks again all--cheers!
~uber.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: