Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 19 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Good places to watch American Football?
Posted: 2006-01-08, 9:01 pm

germanicus
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Does anyone know a cool place where you can watch the NFL playoffs next weekend? My local team has made it to the next round :)
My fear is that even if I find out it might be closed due to the time difference.
Re: Good places to watch American Football?
Posted: 2006-01-08, 10:58 pm

djs26961710
I watched regular season NFL at The Bulldog Palace at Leidseplein. Because of the time difference you might not be able to watch it all. Many coffee shops have internet for only a couple of Euros, you can at least get an update. If your a Gaints fan it won't matter now!
Posted: 2006-01-08, 11:49 pm

clubted
There's a sports bar in the area across from the old church that has the games on......even the late game you should still be able to catch next sunday, since the place will still be open until around 2 when the game will end. I'll be there....can't recall the exact name of the place but wander around during the day....they'll have it advertised on a board outside. Look for clubted....I'll be there!@
Posted: 2006-01-08, 11:56 pm

ebony69
Having gone to Amsterdam during "March
Madness" a few years ago, you'll be better off
taking djs' advice: use the Internet. You'll be
able to see some highlights, but I doubt that
you'll be able to see whole games. The place
next to the Bulldog in the Leidseplein would
be your best bet, IMHO. I think it's called the
Pancake House or something to that effect.
The time difference is the biggest obstacle, that
and the fact that the Dutch or anyone else for that
matter don't give a rat's ass about American
football.
Good luck.
Posted: 2006-01-09, 12:13 am

Dave
The Globe Sports Cafe on Oudezijds Voorburgwal is open 24 x 7, and has 9 TVs and 2 large screens. They have shown NFL games in the past. Email or call them for more info.

http://www.hotel-theglobe.nl/
Posted: 2006-01-09, 1:07 am

germanicus
ha! thank god not a giants fan. Pats all the way. Basically I know if the Bengals win then the pats game is on sunday 1pm EST. No problem for the pancake house. However if the Steelers win (probable at this moment given Palmer being injured) then the Pats play 8pm in denver saturday night. Which amsterdam time is a joke. It means kickoff at least at 3am. So unless the hotel has a sports channel showing it i'm condemned to drunken friends sending sms.
Posted: 2006-01-09, 2:41 am

Luther Head
I don't think you can beat Satellite Sports on Leidseplein. Just got back from there watching my ill-fated Bengals (too bad the Steelers didn't get to play against the first team).
They are very friendly here, don't pressure you to keep buying drinks, and the girls that work there are nice, friendly, and beautiful. If you're serious about watching the game, go there.
Posted: 2006-01-09, 3:05 am

germanicus
Thanks Luther. sorry about your bengals. I was really rooting for them to win a home game, but hey congrats on finally climbing out of the gutter!
The Pats will play 3am Amsterdam time next saturday it appears. So hopefully the 24hr place will be open as we take on the Broncos.
Posted: 2006-01-09, 5:31 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I doubt they are open at 3AM, but I saw NFL playoffs at Coco's a few years ago. Very loud and busy place, but it had surprisingly good ribs. Off Rembrandtplein.

Weasel

Posted: 2006-01-09, 11:36 am

blunt
...or at home puffing a blunt, that is if you have subscribed to the digital television offered by Casema and have NASN (North American Sports Network). As a ex-Bostonian I really hope that you'll manage to find yourself a sports bar that will show the game and stay open. GO PATS!!!

Usually, the "better" hotels will show a game in the bar. Even if the bar closes you can always try to convince them to let you finish the game.

I

Posted: 2006-01-09, 10:41 pm

mgresh
Germanicus,
I believed you posted earlier saying your gonna be in the dam this coming weekend jan 13th. us too... hopefully we can met up as me and my 3 friends are also Pats fans from boston..
Our research has basically come down to this: with the 6 hr difference the game should be coming on at 2am (someone please correct me if the time difference is more or less than 6). the globe says it open 24 hrs 7 days a week..
the satellites sports club is open 'til 4 so that atleast gives us the first half and some second half.. and the nice lady at the Marriott (where we r staying) has said if we talk with the bar manager the day off they will not close down the bar at 3 and let us what the whole thing..

anyone know where u can blaze up and watch sports at the same time
Posted: 2006-01-10, 1:15 am

Luther Head
You can smoke up at Satellite, but for your purposes and the time the game is, you might be better at a 24 hour joint(Yes, that's a bad pun).
Posted: 2006-01-10, 4:50 am

sun-n-fun Moderator
Probably too late for this season but consider one of the 'devices' which permit remote viewing.

I just installed such an item. Simple enough. A box connected to a signal in the USA. Then use your browser to access the device. The one I use includes a remote which allows me to change channels, see schedules, etc.

For example, while writing this I am watching 'Las Vegas' on KARE in Minneapolis. While the image is not great at full screen, it is certainly viewable (not jerky). Boy, I forgot how many commercials there are on US tv!
Posted: 2006-01-10, 5:12 am

germanicus
thanks mgresh. Be happy to meet up. PM me. Hell we might even be on the same flight over.
It'd be fun to get a Pats AMS contingent. Not sure if i'm interested in the bears game b4 hand. 5-3 football games aint my thing. Makes soccer look interesting :)
Posted: 2006-01-10, 4:01 pm

mgresh
We will visit the ladies early on in the evening...Sleep during the Bears game... And rest up for the Pats game that way we can go full tilt for the game.. We have some BUD in boston but the dam is on another level.. we're that klm flight on thurs night.. the countdown is on!!!

dont know who is into the music but Method Man has a concert in amsterdam on jan 13
Posted: 2006-01-10, 11:04 pm

BigDan
It doesn't matter because the Pats are going to LOSE!!!!
Posted: 2006-01-11, 1:17 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What's wrong with a 5-3 Bears win? That would be an offensive explosion compared to the rest of this season.

Weasel

Posted: 2006-01-11, 1:54 am

germanicus
Yah I just heard bout that. Anyone know if tix are still available for Meth?
i'll be on the thurs flight as well..prolly bump in to y'all in the irish pub in terminal E
Sleep during the bears game? Come on! And miss the Rex Grossman "Era" begin?!
Posted: 2006-01-11, 5:15 pm

kendo
I think back home in the US of A may be your best bet to watch American Football.
 [ 19 posts ] 

Jump to: