Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 2 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Cheap cell phoning to the States
Posted: 2006-01-10, 4:30 pm

Luther Head
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I wanted to remind those who need cheap cellular service to the States how to do it. I picked this up from this board but can't remember who gave out the tip, but thanks, it's saved me a lot of money.
First, you need a cheap phone. I got mine from Vodaphone for 50 euros and it includes voice mail (you will need to replace the Sim card every 12 months). Then you buy some "top off" minutes, usually sold in 10 euro increments. When it's time to call the States (or other wonderful places abroad) get a Budget Phone card, load it, then every time you call abroad, first dial 020-8000100, which is a local call, wait for the operator to tell you in Dutch how much money you still have available and to dial your #, and off you go. It seems like a 15 minute call costs no more than 3 euros or so.
Re: Cheap cell phoning to the States
Posted: 2006-01-10, 6:40 pm

Frans Hals
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I think you can do it rather more cheaply than that. Using a service like

http://www.gorillamobile.com/

you can make calls from the Netherlands to the US for 6 cents per minute, so a 15-minute call would be 90 cents. (There is an annual sign up fee of $5.99.)

Also you can pick up an unlocked GSM cell phone in the US via E-Bay for rather less than $50.

If you want to make overseas calls from your cell phone FROM the US, I would definitely recommend a service like Tel3

http://www.tel3advantage.com/?AgentNumber=744466

which I use with my cell phone to make calls from my car to the UK for only 2 cents per minute. This is particularly useful if you have a cell plan that allows unlimited calling at nights and/or weekends, because then you pay only for the 2 cents a minute. Similarly cheap rates are available all over the world.
 [ 2 posts ] 

Jump to: