Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 12 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
View your TV on the road - yes, watch US football in AMS
Posted: 2006-01-10, 9:11 pm

sun-n-fun Moderator
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
slingbox is the answer!

http://www.slingmedia.com/

Simple enough. Install it on the output of a cable box or whatever. Install and set the remote so that it can control the cable device.

At the remote site (your PC), you just use a browser to connect and enter the code string. Then you can control the channel selected. Bascially, any function available on the cable (or satellite) is available via the 'remote' on the screen.

I watched several shows last night via a cable box connected to comcast in Minneapolis. You even can access premium channels if available on the cable box.

Two days ago they announced that device (PAL) will now be available in Europe. Lowest price I found in the states was amazon.com.

Great deal for out of US folks or anyone who travels.

Specially good now for hockey season, etc.

My US contact wants me to get the PAL version so they can see Olympics live.

By the way, only one connection at a time to the slingbox.
Re: View your TV on the road - yes, watch US football in AMS
Posted: 2006-01-10, 10:00 pm

freakpa
If you want to order a slingbox, I have a coupon code that will give you $50 off. You go to slingmedia.com and use coupon code CES2006 - this code lasts until 11:59pm 1/11/06, so order quick.
Posted: 2006-01-11, 11:35 pm

JBIG
ok, I don't quite understand what this does?

I have always hated TV in the dam, but then again, I am not there to watch TV... still it would be nice to be able to sit and watch something I am interested in at the end of a hard day or night

would I need to hook this thing up to my hotel's TV? or is this something that works on its own

and also, what does it do? does it just give you access to anything offered on the box, ,kinda like a black box for cable? or can I watch my US shows somehow? more explaination please I am somewhat interested
Posted: 2006-01-12, 12:52 am

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
In a nutshell...

You hook the Slingbox to your home TV (cable box, satellite box, TiVo, etc.) and your internet connection (hard wired via ethernet cable or wirelessly).

Then, you log on from anywhere and you can control and view your home television signal via the Internet on any computer. Requires a high-speed connection at both ends and only one connection can be made at a time (i.e., you can't broadcast your TV signal to multiple "receivers").

It's a pretty cool gadget.
Posted: 2006-01-12, 1:00 am

sun-n-fun Moderator
Could not agree more. Really easy to set up. I get to watch all the high class shows such as 'Blind Date', "Cheaters', etc. Actually I leave it on all the time - CMT, VH1, etc.

Course this weekend I will watch the Steelers. If you want to know what I can watch on my setup, just go to comcast.net and see the channel list for Minneapolis.

I have installed the receiving software on a high speed game PC and a run of the mill Compaq laptop. Works fine on both.

My internet connection is DSL or cable (wireless). No problem.

All you need is a friend to set it up in the states. Of course, for those who travel, just leave it on when you hit the road.
Posted: 2006-01-12, 1:05 am

Dave
Details at

www.slingmedia.com
Posted: 2006-01-12, 1:41 am

JBIG
DAMN this sounds sweet, co if you have a Tivo, can you use that too? the reason I ask is cause of the time differences. I would love to be able to watch shows at other times, basically so I don;t have to watch whatever happens to be on at 2am or whatever time it migh tbe back in the states

thanks for the help
J
Posted: 2006-01-12, 6:02 am

sun-n-fun Moderator
I have not tried the TIVO yet (want to just no time). But there are instructions at slingmedia website.

Setting up an HD TiVo to work with a Slingbox -
http://www.slingmedia.com/support/searc ... eID=154111

Maybe someone could try it and let us all know.
Posted: 2006-01-12, 4:05 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Here's a link that can provide more insight from TiVo/Slingbox users.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sh ... p?t=280306
Posted: 2006-01-12, 10:18 pm

floydpink
Yes, the Slingbox will work with Tivo. Actually, it will work with any video source that is connected to it.

floyd

Posted: 2006-01-15, 11:10 pm

sun-n-fun Moderator
Is a slingbox worth it? I am watching the Steelers/Colts live. Guess that says it all!
Posted: 2006-01-16, 12:45 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Just be sure your home upstream speed is AT LEAST 256Kbps, preferably higher, or you'll be disappointed in the quality.

You can test it at a site like www.dslreports.com, under their tools/speed test option.
 [ 12 posts ] 

Jump to: