Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 3 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
2nd Week in February
Posted: 2006-01-16, 9:10 am

zsdeadbaby
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi,
Am coming to the Dam 6th Feb. I am more than capable of finding my way round the RLD & cafés, but would like to know if there's anything else going on then.
Did the Rijksmuseum last time, and might go to the Stedelijk (spelling?) gallery this time - but just wanted to know (esp from locals) if there's anything else I really shouldn't miss. Is the Heineken Experience worth it?

Thanx.
Re: 2nd Week in February
Posted: 2006-01-16, 6:19 pm

uberchef
The Heinekin Experience has to be one of the most commercial experiences Amsterdam has to offer. Consider this: a brewery tour at a place where no beer is in fact being brewed. That's what the 'Experience' is!

One of Amsterdam's unique and special aspects are it's many gezzelig--a sort of Dutch coziness concept--bars and brujn cafes located throughout the city. The latter of those spots offer the visitor a portal of sorts, to step back in time in a way. The windows and walls are stained brown from decades of tobacco staining leaving an antiqued effect that simply can't be duplicated. Plus, the local and regional beers from nearby Belgium perhaps, are some of the worlds finest. As Heinekin is likely available to you where you live, I suggest trying some of those very special local bevvys...highly recommended!

And if you are on the market for a brewery tour, I'd suggest a visit to the Brouwerij'IJ, a local Amsterdam institution that has it's tiny brewery located within and below the DeGooyer windmill--the oldest windmill in Amsterdam--on the Oost (East) side of town. It's an easy 10 minute tram ride from the Leidseplein, or a pleasant bike ride alternately. They offer a tour of the brewery on Fridays at 4pm, I do believe!!! And this place not only has excellent brews, but also you're sure to meet plenty of locals kicking off the weekend at their local bar, which is a real cultural experience that is in my opinion better than a visit to Freddie Heinekin's joint.

Cheers!
Uberchef
Re: 2nd Week in February
Posted: 2006-01-16, 7:31 pm

Luther Head
Culturally, the city is celebrating its favorite son, Rembrandt and his 400th birthday on July 15, so there should be plenty going on all year with that (The large copies of his paintings on the sides of the Westerkerk are impressive, especially under the influence of mushrooms during a snow storm). There is the Rembrandt Museum, where his home has been restored to the way it was during Rembrandt's 17 years there.
As far as a beer drinking experience, I suggest De Widleman on Kolksteeg. Lots of brews, including Belgian and German, on tap, and loads of bottled beers. Nice "gezellig" atmosphere, with a cozy area on a landing that has a warm stove.
 [ 3 posts ] 

Jump to: