Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Stardust/Ignatzmice floats gently to Earth
Posted: 2006-01-16, 3:00 pm

axxxtw Founder
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
We were watching the return of this spacecraft rather closely, the spacecraft which yesterday returned bearing samples from comet Wild 2. Seven years ago before it launched, a call went out from NASA inviting the public to include ones name on an on-board microchip. Over one million names were collected---among them "Ignatzmice" ;-)

Ignatzmice was our cat, for whom we named this server, and Ignatzmice was named after the chief protagonist in an old comic strip, beloved by us, by the name of Krazy Kat. "Ignatzmice" was not his proper name, but on occasion "Krazy Kat" who was whimsically ungrammatical, mispronounced his proper name, Ignatzmouse.

Although the real "Ignatzmice" left this earth in 2001, it gladdens us to know that the spacecrafts sample capsule bearing his name has returned finally, floating gently to earth...our tiny tribute to a beloved comic strip, our dear cat, and this site.

(A second chip remains on board the mothership, which will remain in in space forever)

Ps: now you know where our funny name came from ;-)

cheers.

Last edited by axxxtw on 2006-01-22, 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Stardust/Ignatzmice floats gently to Earth
Posted: 2006-01-16, 6:01 pm

COOTERSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Cool.....I always wondered what it meant. I've never claimed to be the smartest guy on the block. So what does " There's no place like 209.17.160.33. " mean?.........One of the things that make you go, Hmmmmmm?.......Cooter

Posted: 2006-01-16, 6:04 pm

nolan1000
It's an ip loopback address
Posted: 2006-01-16, 6:06 pm

uberchef
During a lunchtime stroll around the neighborhood this past week, I discovered a certain book on display at Midtown Comics in NYC, the complete Ignatzmice comic collection under one cover! Certainly looked cool, and of course seeing the background of the mouse behind the mask was an enlightening read :-) Funny stuff.

~uber.
Posted: 2006-01-16, 7:55 pm

axxxtw Founder
Cooter:
209.17.160.33 = our server address.

Posted: 2006-01-17, 11:29 am

nuggy
I always wondered about the name,.......and a very nice tribute to you cat :-)
Posted: 2006-01-17, 6:32 pm

COOTERSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for answering one of life's little questions. Great site and I agree "There's no place like 209.17.160.33.".....Cooter

Posted: 2006-01-19, 7:23 pm

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Thanks for explaining the site's name, axxxtw! And now I understand why you knew about the Kattenkabinet museum of art about cats which I thank you for introducing me to - just one of many things I've learned from this site. To walk through a beautiful 17th century home on Herengracht filled with creative paintings, drawings and sculpture about cats is a very nice break for me when I visit AMS. And I hope you got a new cat sometime after the furry Ignatzmice departed.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: