Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Late-Night Transportation
Posted: 2006-01-18, 4:56 pm

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hello all,

Along the lines of another post regarding tram travel and public transportation, I'd like to inquire as to the various means of late-night transportation in Amsterdam's city centre. As the trams stop running around midnight, what are the available options for public, or paid transportation in the eep hours?

I've never used a taxi in Amsterdam as I usually am happy riding my fiet along the scenic canals, but as this next visit I have is planned for February, the coldest month on average in Amsterdam (and thankfully least rainy technically, but you know how that goes), I'd like to have some other tricks up my sleeve for covering ground after 12.

I believe there are nacht buses running, but does anyone have experience riding them?

Any assistance will of course be appreciatied :-)

Dank u wel!
~uber.
Re: Late-Night Transportation
Posted: 2006-01-18, 5:20 pm

veloria
Check the gvb website, this gives you a route map and timetable for the nightbuses. They all leave from Centraal. I've used the srevice and found it to be fine, the odd drunk, but no problems.
Posted: 2006-01-19, 5:45 am

Larry
The night buses are just as easy as the trams. There's 1 or 2 per hour depending on the season and day of the week. They mostly run along the tram routes that serve Centraal Station and cost either EUR 3 or use an hour pass. Strippen are not accepted for night bus fare.

The gvb site has a crappy night bus map but great schedules. The same map and schedules are at the night bus stops.

I'd check in the daylight for your stops. The nearest to the RLD is on Damrak across from the department store and in front of McDonalds. These buses are somewhat like the 4, 9, 16, 24, and 25 trams.

The stop for the 1, 2, and 5 like night buses is on Nieuwzijds Vorburgwal behind the Royal Palace and North of Raadhuistraat which they turn onto on their roundabout way to Leidseplein.
Posted: 2006-01-19, 4:42 pm

uberchef
Larry, thanks so much for the detailed scoop. I'll have a visit on the gvb site and see what I can see.

Cheers!
~uber.
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: