Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
warning for cyclists!
Posted: 2006-01-21, 5:27 am

withnail Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
police are everywhere in the city right now stopping people for lack of lights or for going through red ones. today i have seen them stopping cyclists on bilderdijkstraat, kinkerstraat, rozengracht and muntplein. i myself was just stopped on rozengracht at 3.45am for having no front light - upon telling the cuntstable that i was here on holiday (; -)she said 'well, do you have something with your name on it?' at which point i produced my UK passport. she says 'ok, you are on holiday so i will pretend to write you a ticket and you must walk the rest of the way home.' ok, says i (35 euros better off).

i should point out that when stopped i was incredibly drunk, cross eyed drunk in fact and stoned to within a hairs breadth of mental illness. aboard my trusty oma fiets with no front light and having just left the greenhouse effect on the grounds that they were closing at 3am.

i just hope axxxtw made it home without incurring the wrath of the politie ...?

doog!

withnail
Re: warning for cyclists!
Posted: 2006-01-21, 6:55 am

peptoSupporting Member
Supporting Member
The good news is, withnail finally extricated his fiets from some stanger"s who had lashed the two together. I thought this was going to be the warning before I clicked on this thread.
The bad nieuws is that Amsterdam seems to be slowly becoming a politie stadt. I take it they cleaned up all the beggars and vagrants before they started working on the fietsen.

Doog
pepto
The Accidental tourist!
Posted: 2006-01-21, 9:00 am

420 Power Kat
What nerve! If they only knew how much financial clout this site contribute's to the welfare of their local economy (The Dutch!)

You locals should have a "Supporting Member" ID badge to avoid these infringements on your right for " Safe Passage" along all common pedestrian canals, bike` path's, and RLD's. Maybe they would be better served patrolling the bridge troll's, vagrants, and pimps!

Your tone sounds like you wrote this post immediatley after your encounter with the local establishment (and a few beers, splif's and other tolerated local vice's! You may have to start using Radar Detectors's to avoid the speed traps along the Tromp!

Dooooog from a very stoned and drunk tourist :-)

Posted: 2006-01-21, 12:45 pm

axxxtw Founder
We did not encounter any police traps or even tricky basement steps propelling us backwards off our bike to land on our backs resulting in intercourse between our head and an iron railing inflicting possible brain damage. But then, we do not remember anything after crossing Spui...

Posted: 2006-01-21, 2:53 pm

StarrDluX
oh my gosh that is so funny. who knew?! i didn't know there were enough polite to "pull" people over. the only time i saw a large congregation of them was by one of their stations...and they were all inside keeping warm!! :)

Posted: 2006-01-27, 8:48 pm

conman
I'm currently not in AMS so I have a question . Can bicyclists legally have flashing lights on their bicycles in Amsterdam? Say for example they have a steady red light on the back of the bike. can they also have a blinking red LED light? What about various colors of flashing lights?
Has anyone here been stopped or heard anything about flashing lights not being allowed?
I've been looking on the internet for bicycle safety laws in Amsterdam but have not found anything, if someone could point me to that I sure would appreciate it.
Thanks in advance
Posted: 2006-01-27, 9:21 pm

withnail Power Kat
yes, so far as i am aware you can have flashing or static. all the lights which i have bought always had both options. in answer to the colour question - well, the back is always red, naturally, the front can be white / yellow / green - you see all kinds of variants. my latest ten kate market 2.50 special came in yellow.

far too cold for cycling this evening, mind. het lijkt wel noord pole buiten vanavond!

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-01-27, 9:34 pm

uberchef
Seems like Withnail's dutch lessons have been paying off! Zorgvuldig ben in uw fietsreizen...het zwarte ijs is gevaarlijk!

groetjes~
uber.
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: