Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Bike laws?
Posted: 2006-01-25, 4:05 pm

freakpa
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
OK I have a question - and I'm kind of ashamed for having to ask it.

Does anyone know what the laws are for bicycles in Amsterdam? I have been thinking about getting one, but I have seen police pulling bike riders over. I've been walking and tramming but that doesn't help much when you're a couple km from home. Plus the tram costs money.

Are there zones or streets where you are not allowed to ride? Are you allowed to walk the bike or not even have it on that particular street? What are the rules about lighting? Where can you park it without getting it ticketed if they have tickets (or confiscated)? Where is it allowed to park? What can you and can you not chain it to? Can it be outside overnight? Is there a speed limit? A one passenger limit? Do you have to stay on the bike lanes? Do cars have to yield to bikes? Are bike lanes one way or two? Do they give out DUI tickets to cyclists? How bad are the fines? Do you pay them on the spot? Can you pay with cash? Credit card? Are you required to have equipment on you when operating, such as a screwdriver, helmet, etc?

Thanks
Re: Bike laws?
Posted: 2006-01-25, 4:52 pm

uberchef
No shame in asking a question, all's fair here-- that's the intended beauty of this forum.

Though I don't live in Amsterdam, I can say I've always rented a bicycle and had a great time covering long distances riding all about town on a two-wheeler. I'm sure a local will be able to provide you with more first-hand knowledge about the city laws for bicycles, but suffice it to say bicycles outnumber cars by a wide margin in Amsterdam. It's been the preferred means of transport by countless Amsterdammers for a century.

Per Withnail's post, it seems the Polite have been pulling people over for not having proper lighting on the front and back ends of their bikes after dark--a reasonable expection for bikers, I'd say, for obvious safety reasons. If you buy a bike, equip it with the right safety precautions.

As for zones where you are not allowed to ride, sure, take the Leidseplein for example. The Leidsestraat is a designated pedestrian zone, I believe from Konningsplein all the way down to the Leidseplein. You are likely to get a ticket if you get caught on a bike riding through that narrow street. Regarding parking, since Amsterdam is such a bike friendly city, I believe you can lock your bike up to mostly anything, anywhere, as long as it's bolted down else your apt to return and find your bike long gone! Look for where other people lock their bikes up...

Finally, regarding two passengers, that's never a problem as long as the person riding on the back/front/your lap is a cute girl ;-)

I just realized you have about 10 other questions, so I'm going to let the peanut gallery follow-up on those :-)

Happy riding!
~uber.
Posted: 2006-01-26, 1:40 am

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-01-26, 2:00 am

axxxtw Founder
Quote:
Try not to fall off when drunk and or stoned.

Falling off...that's the bit we use to sober up. It works a treat ;-)

Posted: 2006-01-26, 9:13 am

katertje78
Bike laws???
Never realised there were any laws whatsoever regarding bikes in Amsterdam....
Posted: 2006-01-26, 9:57 pm

Roland Power Kat
No bike to be ridden on Leidseplein or Leidsestraat, Reguliersbreestraat, Rembrandtplein (except in the bike lane or Amstelstraat), Waterlooplein and Albert Cuyp unless market is gone or Kalverstraat and Nieuwendijk (even after shopping hours though many of us do). They can be with you in hand but must be walked especially on busy streets like the Flowermarket on the Singel. Night lights on the front and rear are required. Crossing at the Munt is frowned upon.

You can tie your bike pretty well where you like unless there is a posted sign like there is in the Iguana garden on Rembrandtplein or to a gate (look for the sign). They don't like you locked to a tree as it hurts the tree. Best bet is to use a bike rack or stall.

Yes you can chain it and leave it out overnight. No one goes fast.

Car vehicle speed limit is 50 kms but most people go like 15-20. Bikes are more nimble as the traffic flow is better.

You can have someone on the back if there is a carrier. Late at night on the cross bar or the handle bars when you are drunk is fine as long as no one stops you. Seriously only children in a carrier ca be carried in the front.

You don't HAVE to stay in bike lanes as you sometimes cross over outside of them. However it is recommended and desired. Bikes have right of way in their lane. Also there are special bike lane lights. Brommers (engine powered 2 wheelers under 49 ccs) are allowed to use bike lanes. So note that a car beside you moves with a green light but your bike lane may have a red light. Look. Lots of "accidents" do occur the most common is "the front tire in a tram track flip" or a "skid on ice" but people rarely get killed or seriously hurt. Helmets are not worn.

Regards. Roland
Posted: 2006-01-27, 12:35 am

uberchef
Ooooooooh Roland, great call on those tram tracks....BEWARE of the tram tracks dear riders....one should avoid them if possible, and if not, cross them riding perpendicular because if you should fall into one while riding parallel....you'll find yourself flat on your ass, at best.

Cautiously,
UC.
Posted: 2006-01-27, 12:33 pm

DELETED
DELETED
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: