Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Amsterdam to Paris by train.
Posted: 2006-01-30, 7:47 pm

amsterdamfats
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I know there is a train that takes 4 hours to go from Amsterdam to Paris. It is called the Thalys. I think that is the correct spelling. I want to go from Amsterdam to Paris on March 25, a Saturday. Can anyone give me some suggestions about the best way to book reservations and how much I can expect to pay. I am only going one way. Any ideas and sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Re: Amsterdam to Paris by train.
Posted: 2006-01-30, 7:59 pm

axxxtw Founder
Go to the NL railways site, select English, then International, from the links at the top.

Enter "Amsterdam Centraal" in the departure info box, and fill out the other information as requested. You'll then get the schedules and fares, and you can also book in advance if you wish.

Trains from NL to Paris are all Thalys.

Click here

Last edited by axxxtw on 2006-01-30, 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2006-01-30, 7:59 pm

aldo
www.ns.nl

enjoy
Posted: 2006-01-30, 8:02 pm

Anglofil
Hi!
I have no clue how much a ticket is (as I always buy a railpass as to have more freedom to go virtually anywhere within certain countries),
but you should be warned that the Thalys is unusually expensive compared to other European trains.
If price matters, you' d better choose other options, e.g. a 'slow' train from Amsterdam to Brussels, then the French TGV from Brussels to Paris. Alternatively you could take a 'slow' nighttrain with couchette bed and wake up in Paris.
Good luck!
Carl
Posted: 2006-01-30, 8:17 pm

abc123Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I've taken this train many times, most recently last October. The trick to getting the best fare is to go on line at least 30 days in advance. Use the French railroads web site, www.sncf.fr . I assume that you're interested in a one way fare. In that case, check out an advance purchase return ticket. The advance purchase return fare is cheaper than a one way ticket. Just buy Paris-Amsterdam return and throw away the Paris-Amsterdam ticket. By the way, you can now print SNCF tickets at your own computer.
Posted: 2006-01-30, 8:21 pm

amsterdamfats
First, thanks all for the quick response. I went to the site recommended on this post. You can not price out this ticket through the dutch railway site. I had tried this in the past as well with no success. That is the reason I was asking here. I have found third party sellers on the internet. Their prices are twice what i wanted to pay. I was hoping to pay around 50 euro per person and I am only going one way.
Posted: 2006-01-30, 8:27 pm

amsterdamfats
nice abc123 THAT'S what I'm looking for!! pulled up a round trip ticket for 167 euro for 4 people.

great idea!!!!!

thanks!
Posted: 2006-01-30, 9:09 pm

sun-n-fun Moderator
Here is the Thalys website

http://www.thalys.com/
Posted: 2006-02-03, 12:39 am

aldo
amsterdamfats, it is on the dutch railway site

97.5 euro
Posted: 2006-02-15, 4:40 am

amsterdamfats
booked 4 adults and 1 child for 292 euro round trip. thanks abc123 for the tip. that was a lot less than even one way fare. i was pulling up the 97.5 euro fare wherever i looked. that would have been 400 euro just one way!!! the child's ticket may be refundable so i can get half of that back. I will try to sell the one ways from paris to amsterdam for pocket change. i was not asked for names when i booked these tickets, so i imagine they are transferable.

thanks again abc......!
Posted: 2006-02-15, 11:58 am

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
No checking of names, just whether you have a valid ticket (and are in reserved seat). I think there is actually a kiddies section so you may be surrounded with monsters en route to Euro-disney - enjoy!
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: