Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
De Oude West - Supermarkt Coffeeshop
Posted: 2006-02-02, 11:59 pm

uberchef
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Just read an interesting bit online about a coffeeshop that I haven't had the pleasure of visiting as of yet...De Supermarkt (owned by the same people as Siberie). What I read described it as being an airy, well-lit place that displayed changing art exhibitions from local artists, like another favorite shop of mine in De Pijp, Yo-Yo, which also offers those particular amenities.

After visiting the website I think I may just have to add this spot to my 'to-do' list for an upcoming trip. Has anyone else been here?

DE SUPERMARKT COFFEESHOP
Frederik Hendrikstraat 69 . 1052 HL . Amsterdam
Tel: 020 - 4862497 . E-mail: info@desupermarkt.net
http://www.desupermarkt.nl

The Supermarkt, the youngest member of our family, opened in mid-September 2000 after a major six-week renovation which transformed the coffeeshop into a light, open, and welcoming space.

Modern, spacious and well-lit, with a large assortment of reading materials, art videos, and easy internet access, the Supermarkt offers a relaxing atmosphere with your favorite background music. Just as at Siberie (www. siberie.nl) we offer young and established artists an opportunity to exhibit their work through a series of changing exhibitions, underscoring the creative, dynamic atmosphere of De Supermarkt.

~uber.
Re: De Oude West - Supermarkt Coffeeshop
Posted: 2006-02-03, 1:44 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I went in last year. Still have the lighter. I don't remember it being all that big or airy, but in Amsterdam, I guess big is a relative term. Cute bartender. It was my first morning in town, only a couple of hours removed from the plane. I chose some Hawaiian Haze, and ended up so stoned that I had to go nap--hence the limited memory.

Posted: 2006-02-03, 1:06 pm

amsterdamfan
webcam >>>>>>>>> http://www.desupermarkt.net/webcam.htm

Posted: 2006-02-03, 1:36 pm

withnail Power Kat
i shall call over there this weekend and report back. i just noticed another shop i had never seen which is literally round the corner from where i live - name is coffeeshop milena, so i think i need to check out a few of these. will also aim to check out the dream, coffeeshop 154 and cheech and chong which are all less than 10 minutes from home. after all, if i keep buying at coffeeshop millennium i think ill be looking for equity in the place.

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-02-07, 11:27 am

lester
Not to steal anyone's thunder, but I got by this place Sunday night. Not really that hard to find: just locate the Anne Frank House, then the Bloemgracht which is right across the Prinsengracht from Anne's place and then go straight (southwest) until you hit Frederik Hendrikstraat, turn right and it's about 50 or so meters on the right.
Nice, clean, well-lighted place (Hemingway would have loved it) that looks more like a small cafe than a coffeeshop. Long, wooden tables, Dutch magazines to read, a large chess set, and one PC (but as it is a stand up situation, you are probably not meant to surf hours on end) provide the visitor with items to amuse themselves.
The dealer was pleasant enough and the menu looked the same as the Siberie, which makes sense as they are part of the same outfit.
Weeds topped out at 7 euro (Mango being the most expensive: a great, fruity taste, but the high was not particularly strong), and there were more hashes available than weed. I old-schooled it and went with a nice little red Lebanese (sp?) for 7 euros that had a nice taste and day-time type of high (for a veteran smoker).
Music was eclectic, but laid back.
If you want to read or do mindless paperwork, this would be a great place to work.
Also, because I have a distaste for paying 2 euro for a small cup of tea, I am pleased to note here that a tall cup (double dose) of loose leaf tea costs only 1.30. Nice!
Overall, a laid back place with much to like. And for those Anglophones that are self-conscious about going to places where Dutch is the operative language, have no fear: of the six people that were there, including the dealer and yours truly, three of us were speaking with North American accents.
Posted: 2006-02-07, 5:03 pm

uberchef
Well done Les, excellent re-con work! Sounds like a fairly glowing review. A nice place, off-center, to have a smoke and relax in a comfortable non-touristy environment.

Cheers!
~uber.
Posted: 2006-02-07, 6:25 pm

DELETED
DELETED
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: