Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Visiting Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-02-03, 1:25 am

Matt_06
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I have a trip coming up and have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam. I would like to visit both a coffeshop and treat myself to a window girl and experience the RLD. Help with my questions:
1. Is it doable in that time?
2. I am there 10:00-2:00 are these places open at these times?
3. Do you have any recommentaion?
4. How much do I need?

Greatful for your answers.
Re: Visiting Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-02-03, 1:47 am

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
A four-hour layover is tight, but doable, IMO.

Stow your luggage in a locker at the airport (if it's not checked through) then take the train to CS. It's the quickest, most direct and cheapest way to get there. Then make the short walk to a nearby Coffeeshop near the RLD for a nice smoke. I always enjoy the Greenhouse because it's central to all the fun, but most will be open then, so pick whichever you choose.

Time wise here's my estimate:
Landing to Central Station: 45-60 minutes
Central Station to Greenhouse: 10 minutes
Greenhouse relaxation: 30 minutes
Greenhouse to RLD: 3 minutes
Choosing a girl: 20 minutes
Time with a girl: 5 minutes :)
RLD to Central Station: 5 minutes
Train to Airport: 20 minutes

All totaled, that's about 2.5 hours. Again, it's tight, but as long as you don't have too much luggage you need to tend to and you don't get caught up in all that the city has to offer, then you should be OK. And that time of day, security lines tend to be shorter than in the morning, so that'll help upon your return.

Have fun!
Posted: 2006-02-03, 2:07 am

Matt_06
Your advice is great. Thanks a bunch. Some more questions

Any idea on the cost (what range), specifically with the girl.
Any you recommend? Do they have specific addresses, rooms?
Are you in Amsterdam? How is weather in Mid march?
How to get to the Coffeshop you mentioned from CS.
I remember going out of cs, go straight for 1-2 miles and make a left turn in one of the streets. Is this the best way to get there?
I have previously taken the train to CS and I am hoping my familiarity would speed things up.

Thanks again
Posted: 2006-02-03, 3:17 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Matt --

You'll find a lot of information on girls by searching the board for locations, recommendations, etc. Use "The Device"...it can be your best friend. Cost-wise, figure 50 euro.

As for directions, the site below has a nice map of the coffeshops... for Greenhouse Centrum, essentially you'll head up Damrak to Dam Square and turn left, but it's definitely closer than you think.

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com/

Nope, I'm not in the city, but weather-wise, you should plan for showers, sun and wind.

And yes, familiarity will help speed up the process.

Enjoy! And don't forget to contribute to this site, as its value is imeasurable!!
Posted: 2006-02-03, 5:07 pm

uberchef
I might add that you won't have to walk 1-2 miles before hanging a left toward the RLD...Upon exit from Centraal Station's front doors, walk straight down the Damrak approximately 200 meters (fair estimate?). When you see the famous (and touristy) Grasshopper coffeeshop on your left, across the canal, hang a left. Cross the canal and walk approximately 50 meters to Warmoestraat. Several coffeeshops await you there, and I'd recommend the Greenhouse Effect based on location, quality and comfortable environment. After your smoke, simply continue in a Westerly direction to the heart of the RLD!

To confirm, it IS possible to accomplish the goals you have set out within the time period of your layover...I've done it before with time to spare! Just have all your ducks in a row before setting out.

Cheers,
Uber.
Posted: 2006-02-03, 11:40 pm

Matt_06
You guys are great and have provided invaluable advise.
I promise to provide report on my trip.
You should hear from me by Mid April.
Thanks again and this site is incredible
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: