Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Hotel strategy: Anyone try this?
Posted: 2006-02-03, 2:29 am

dutchi
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hallo, I have visited Amsterdam several times. I am visiting in late March.

I'm a single male, and unfortunately, expense is important. I'd do an apartment but they do not seem cost competitive for a single person.

On one low season visit, I used the hotel services at the tourist office for a room.

This time I was thinking about booking a hotel now for the weekend, but to plan to use the tourist hotel services to get a last minute deal for the following Monday thru Thursday or thru Friday.

Would anyone make a suggestion on if they have done something like this, or how iffy they think this would be on getting a good room fairly cheap? I'm thinking late March, nothing in particular is drawing people to Amsterdam, & maybe I could get a 3 star hotel for around 60-70 Euro/night this way.

Bedankt in advance. Hope springs eternal.
Re: Hotel strategy: Anyone try this?
Posted: 2006-02-03, 3:19 am

HCSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I’ve done similar.

If I can’t get a good deal for the duration of my stay I’ll just book the first night at one of my shortlisted hotels offering the best rate.

The next morning I pop into the others (they’re all within walking distance of each other) and ask their rate. Occasionally it’s been cheaper than the on-line rates so I check in, sometimes worse though.

If they’re all worse then it’s back to homebase and ask if I can extend my stay and would the rate be the same. Usually the answer is yes even when the on-line price has been worse for the subsequent days? And even when the booking site shows the hotel fully booked!

I once did this at the Ramada/Cok/City Centre/whatever they’re now called and whilst informing me that of course I could stay another night at 80 euros the receptionist was asking 130 for a walk-in standing next to me.

This plan can of course backfire but it hasn’t yet. It works for me as I book short stays, usually mid-week and travel light so changing hotel is no biggie.

HC
Posted: 2006-02-03, 6:23 am

amsterdamfats
i just got the NH Barbizon Palace for 2 nights 3/23-3/25. the price was $128 per room per night. this is a five star hotel. priceline is awesome! expedia has this hotel at $208 per night. if you are looking for something less i'd give priceline a try. instead of paying 70 or 80 dollars you'll probably pay about half. book early though. amsterdam fills up quick. especially on the weekends.

good luck!
Posted: 2006-02-03, 6:48 am

Mr.Plug
dutchi,

I think your strategy is excellent!

If I'm reading you correctly, you're arriving to A'dam on a Friday (?), and leaving the following Fri. or Sat.?

By reserving a room for the first weekend, you are guaranteeing that you will have a definite booking when you arrive, and also that you won't have to subject yourself to waiting in line at the VVV (with jet lag, assuming you're coming from Canada), and with the uncertanity that comes without having a room already reserved.

On Monday morning, you can probably score a great deal (at that time of week and at that time of year) for the remaining nights.

-- Mr. Plug
Posted: 2006-02-03, 4:57 pm

uberchef
Greetz,

The least expensive room I ever stayed at while in Amsterdam was a single bed, shared bath at the Greenhouse Effect hotel on Warmoestraat....it couldn't have been more than 50 euro/night! Simple, clean and it even had a window (all the amenities, baby!)

Your strategy sounds fine, just wanted to offer that suggestion :-)

Cheers,
~uber.
Posted: 2006-02-06, 10:01 pm

Bxboy56
I usually stay at the Winston for 50 Euros per night during the week and 55 for the weekend and that's with a private bathroom
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: