Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Where to eat?
Posted: 2006-02-08, 10:31 pm

tukayaway
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I've got plenty of info of who to fuck and what drugs I should be taking, but can anyone recommend places to eat?

I went last Easter, and we ended up eating snacks for the whole stay. I don't mind the odd hotdog and kebab, but I would prefer something a bit more substantial. Although we did find a steakhouse with three beautiful waitresses in.
Re: Where to eat?
Posted: 2006-02-08, 10:55 pm

withnail Power Kat
www.iens.nl
Posted: 2006-02-08, 11:10 pm

uberchef
Top site Withnail, I'll have to peruse it's contents in the coming week...

For you Tuk, I've got loads of quality recommendations...! To paraphrase that estimable pioneer of the palate, Tom Waits, I've wined, dined, sipped and supped at some of the most demonstrably beamer, appitomable bistros in the [Amsterdam] area! I love food man, and all Tom Waits aside, a great bite to eat can be had in Amsterdam within a broad range of prices. Seems from your email though, that you've experienced the snacky selections of Amsterdam--the best frites, FEBO, all you can eat falafel and Turkish schwarma galore. Perhaps now you're ready to move on up to the next level and have a proper sit down dinner!

Forewarned, the Dutch have a different eating schedule than other people. On the whole, they eat a bit earlier and many restaurant kitchens are closed by 10pm. Also, Amsteram is a relatively small city full of people who love good food. They make reservations in order to do so, and I'd advise you follow suit. If you find a restaurant you want to eat at, make reservations in advance or you may find yourself shut out! Nothing worse than that...

Anyways, provide the forum with some food genres you are into and we'll be better suited to providing you with a recommendation. The Dutch history for colonizing has lead to some amazing and delicious exotic international cuisine. Suranamese, Thai, Indian, etc. options are abound, but you should skim through the many to find the cream of the crop. Despite a somewhat bad reputation, typically Dutch cuisine can be delicious as well! There are several michelen starred restaurants in the Amsterdam vicinity...if you are looking for a high-end gourmet option. The choice is yours and the sky is the limit!

~uberchef.

ps. Use the search function to search for food related keywords. There are many posts from the past regarding restaurant recommendations etc. When we're not talking about the hottest shag in the wallen, us Ignatzmice also discuss where to eat as well ;-)
Posted: 2006-02-08, 11:31 pm

withnail Power Kat
other food thingamees...

on my hit list for this weekend is de zotte which is a belgium proeflokaal serving some very fine looking food indeed. i popped in there last night for a couple of hours 'researching' and the offerings looked mouthwateringly good. they also stock my current favourite trappist brew 'orval'. this place appears to be a nice alternative to the two cafe gollems both of which i have been handcuffed to of late. de zotte is to be found on raamstraat, just off leidseplein.

among other places i have dined this past week have been cafe de klos (uitstekand), the bird snack bar (heerlijk), a newly opened italian on jan pieter heijestraat (goed) and donorland on kinkerstraat (traditional ;-)

in my opinion, for lunch the best broodtjes in town are to be found at de penguin, in the 9 straatjes. i forget which exact street, runstraat perhaps? i only go there every day after all...

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-02-09, 12:40 am

uberchef
Not to forget the simple yet delicious meatball broodje at Prins Hendrikkade, eh Withnail? Just opposite Centraal Station, really.

Withnail, when the location of that tasty Penguin does eventually come to mind, let me know. My flat will be just strides from the 9 straatjes...knowing your golden palatte for broodjes, I wouldn't mind sampling your new fave!

Cheers,
Uber.
Posted: 2006-02-09, 4:20 am

a9g7dom
My favorite expensive restaurant:

Christophe http://www.diningcity.com/ams/christophe/

My favorite vegetarian:

Green Planet http://www.greenplanet.nl/index2.htm

My favorite indonesian:

Sarang Mas http://sarang-mas.orientalrestaurants.nl/
Posted: 2006-02-09, 6:03 am

ncg8r
Thanks for the link to Green Planet! We'll definitely have to hit it a few times... Any other Vegetarian recommendations? Also, we love Thai... Chinese... anything you can order without the meat! Thanks

Posted: 2006-02-09, 7:49 am

dutchi
Coupla other sites

http://www.diningcity.com/

http://www.seethru.co.uk/zine/guides/am ... snacks.htm

Posted: 2006-02-09, 1:01 pm

lester
The Koh-i-noor Indian restaurant across the street from the Westerkerk on Raahuisstraat is excellent. I've been going there off and on for 23 years.
Posted: 2006-02-09, 8:39 pm

lester
I haven't tried it but it looks intriguing and inexpensive: foodism, a couple doors to the left of the Grey Area. Vegetarian fair (not sure about vegan) that got a good write up in the Amsterdam Weekly.
Posted: 2006-02-12, 4:01 pm

tukayaway
Thanks for the help people!
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: