Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 11 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Train ticket machines....Need some help!!!
Posted: 2006-02-09, 4:05 pm

block
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
My next trip over I am determined to try and use one of those ticket machines that dispense train tickets.Can someone give me a quick refresher on how to take advantage of them and not have to stand in a que for tickets? I have mastered the strippenkarts for busses but the train tickets still befuddle me....

Miles Davis
Re: Train ticket machines....Need some help!!!
Posted: 2006-02-09, 4:23 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Here's a nice little interactive demo that walks you through it. Be sure to click on the language you want at the bottom.

http://webdemo.ns.nl/e2000.html
Posted: 2006-02-09, 4:52 pm

sun-n-fun Moderator
To the best of my knowledge, the machine required pincards, bank cards, or coins.

They do NOT accept currency (euro notes) or credit cards. Take lots of coins with you.

snf
Posted: 2006-02-09, 7:11 pm

uberchef
Hailing from States-side, I must say that I've not once been able to use the automatic machines at Schipol or CS with my debit card (MC) or credit card (AMEX). It's possible a VISA may work though.

Instead, upon arrival at Schipol, I use the manned counters to purchase whatever train tickets I'll need for the duration of the trip (ie: 1 RT to CS and 1 RT to Alkmaar). You pay a nominal 'service charge' (<1 euro) for dealing with a human, but for me, that's the only way! Gives you a good opportunity to practice your Dutch ;-)

Cheers and happy riding of the rails,
~uber.
Posted: 2006-02-09, 10:27 pm

fredSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't like standing in lines and pay the service charge. It's actually not that difficult:

You find the 4 digit code and enter 1000 for Amsterdam CS, then it will display Amsterdam and you move to the next step.

Travel today or a future day. Press either button if you are going to use the ticket the same day.

Full fare or discount (kortings)

One way, round trip (re-tour) or weekend return.

Then you see the amount on display and you start feeding the coins.

Then you get your ticket and change (if applicable).

You can always ask a cute Dutch girl for help. Gives you a good opportunity to practice your Dutch and learn the Dutch words.

Regards,
Fred
Posted: 2006-02-10, 1:14 am

willstewart
Quote:
Hailing from States-side, I must say that I've not once been able to use the automatic machines at Schipol or CS with my debit card (MC) or credit card (AMEX). It's possible a VISA may work though.

Instead, upon arrival at Schipol, I use the manned counters to purchase whatever train tickets I'll need for the duration of the trip (ie: 1 RT to CS and 1 RT to Alkmaar). You pay a nominal 'service charge' (<1 euro) for dealing with a human, but for me, that's the only way! Gives you a good opportunity to practice your Dutch ;-)

Cheers and happy riding of the rails,
~uber.

I had the same problem at Schiphol. Wouldn't accept any of my Visa debit, credit or Mastercard. Some machines only take cards, and others coins. The coin machines do say somewhere on them what to press for non-dutch speakers. I just queued the first time and paid the €3.70? for a 2nd class ticket to Centraal Station, then sat in 1st class anyway.
Posted: 2006-02-10, 8:00 pm

markcheech
could someone tell me if the GVB has a week long tram pass? I've noticed they have a 72 hour one.

Thanks
Posted: 2006-02-11, 3:07 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
They used to have passes for as many days as you wanted, but now 72 hours is the most you can buy at one time.
Posted: 2006-02-11, 11:40 am

ThailandMan
The debit card it takes is Maestro. Dunno if you American guys have that, looks like a Mastercard but the 2 balls are Blue and Red instead of Yellow and Red.

I was under the impression, it was a Europe card only. Also, it wont accept Visa debit cards because there Visa, Europe don't like Visa that much, Mastercard and its debit cards have always being used in Germany for example.

TM

Posted: 2006-02-11, 6:49 pm

gezellig
Uber

I thought you couldn't get a Schipol-Centraal return for your trip as both journeys needed to be taken on the same day? I was told this once at the booth and have bought singles ever since. Anyway, not quibbling over the few Euros I may have overspent, but it would be nice to have that ticket already in my pocket when I'm running down my last few coins on the day of my flight.

Rgds
G~
Posted: 2006-02-12, 12:31 am

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Both types take debit (e.g. Maestro) or cash cards (local stored value system). None of the machines take notes, only the push-button variety take coins. None take credit cards which makes them useless to most visitors - which I think is crazy but reflects the local attitude to service.
 [ 11 posts ] 

Jump to: