Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Can I bring a pizza?
Posted: 2006-02-20, 10:10 pm

ottomabotto
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hello,

Bringing my sister over for the first time tomorrow. We are staying with a friend and my sister wants to bring him a pizza from Chicago(frozen of course). Does anyone know if this is a no no or not.? The consulate here is closed and no one seems to really know the answer. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ottomabotto
Re: Can I bring a pizza?
Posted: 2006-02-20, 11:05 pm

BUTTHEADSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Pack it in a freezer bag in your luggage. Whats the worst that can happen, they take it away.

BUTTHEAD
Posted: 2006-02-21, 1:54 am

Luther Head
As long as your delivering: I'll take a large pepperoni, extra cheese, no anchovies. And please don't foregt several packets of crushed red pepper.

PS- Unless it's from Garcia's in C-U, then just bring me a Gutbuster!
Posted: 2006-02-21, 4:36 am

anydaySupporting Member
Supporting Member
you seriously thought of contacting the consulate over a pizza? not being funny but i would be surprised if they hadn't got slightly more pressing matters to deal with.

luther - i'll have the anchovies. cheers.
Posted: 2006-02-21, 4:49 am

LaszloSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I don't know the answer whether or not it's legal. As long as the frozen food bag, which might not be friendly to x-rays, doesn't trip some draconian security alarm when boarding and you don't wave the frozen pie in the face of the customs agent when you arrive it's unlikely to come up in your entry chat.

NL Customs agent: "Good day sir, may I have your passport please? Thank you. Are you carrying any guns or frozen foods today? Oh I see, a pizza. Chicago style. Of course it is. Yes, well, please step over here while we prepare the bullet nosed flashlight."

Unless someone chimes in here with definitive answers I say bring it. If they confiscate it, c'est la vie. If they don't, you and your sister will have brought your hosts something pretty special.
Posted: 2006-02-21, 5:05 am

hutchings
I say bring it. Either your friends or dutch customs officers will be dining on some lou malnati's. Good karma either way. =)

H
Posted: 2006-02-24, 12:33 pm

CalicoJack
I believe there are restrictions on the movement of meat products:

Quote:
Restrictions of particular interest to international passengers
1. Products of animal origin
Apart from some exceptions the Community rules do not allow the importation of meat, meat products, milk and milk products by travellers.

I wonder if that covers pizza cheese, too?

Found on THIS SITE.

Hope that helps!

I guess that ignorance is the best defence to adopt, and the worst they'll (probably) do is confiscate your pizza.
Posted: 2006-02-24, 5:56 pm

simplyjim
I once brought a fresh sandwich (well, it was fresh when I purchased it) back to the states that I bought at ams centraal station. I was in a hurry to catch my flight and simply forgot I still had it in my carry-on and no one seemed to care or ask if i had a sandwich on my person or baggage. When I drove home from the airport I was able to enjoy one last taste of the train station grub.

In my experience the dutch have been more relaxed regarding what you are bringing with you and so I doubt you will have any issue entering the Netherlands with a pizza inside your carry-on. More likely to have a problem going thru security when at home when leaving. Again, it is only a pizza and the worst that would happen is it would be taken away... I seriously doubt you would be detained and have any type of violating search performed on you.

Although I do recommend that you wait until after you land to put mushrooms on the pizza! :)

Posted: 2006-02-25, 11:18 am

ottomabotto
Thanks for all of the advice, you really made me laugh. Well, it turns out that the person we are staying with doesn't have an oven! So, we ended up bringing him something else instead.

Thanks again.
Posted: 2006-02-25, 2:46 pm

nonnayo
For future reference, I'd suggest buying something cheapish in the duty free shop in the airport and putting the frozen pizza (or whatever other non-cannibistic congestibles you want to bring along) in the duty free bag.

This is also a decent method of giving yourself an extra carry-on bag without having to wrangle with anybody during check-in.

Also, who needs an oven to heat up a pizza in Amsterdam? Just use a BFB ("Big Fucking Bong"). Either it'll get the pizza "piping hot" . . . or you kinda won't care. ;)

[ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: