Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
What going on the last two weeks of April
Posted: 2006-03-05, 5:45 am

Gas pedal
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
It's been a year and a half since I've been there The Rike was only partially open. What Should I see when I'm here this time. When is the best time to go to Anne Frank's to avoid the Lines?
Saw the RLD already any other suggestions? What about street markets when will they open in late April? Any suggestions for anything else in Netherlands to see or do that I shouldn't miss?
Re: What going on the last two weeks of April
Posted: 2006-03-05, 5:38 pm

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Definitely check out the Keukenhof. It's only open from the end of March until the end of May. Magnificent flower gardens. Take the train to Leiden, then buy a bus and park ticket outside the station. Well worth the trip.
Posted: 2006-03-06, 2:52 pm

Puffin13Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Queen's Day happens, this year, on April 29th. Alot of Amsterdam and other major cities of Holland shut down for a HUGE swap meet / party or would that be party / swap meet. ;) Public transport stops in city center. Most street traffic (autos, bikes, etc) stops as well. The streets fill with people selling merchandise and the dutch sell unwanted items aka junk. Hoards n hoards of people come from all over the world to experience this day. Lots of drinking, music, smokin and havin a good time is what Queen's Day is about. If you havent had the pleasure..you must experience Queen's Day just once. ;) Peace.
Posted: 2006-03-06, 3:04 pm

Whytwatr
I usually don't miss a few hours at the Van Gogh Museum. Four floors of pure Van Gogh with a nice cafateria big windows view.

Best during the week days early, opens at 10:00.
Posted: 2006-03-07, 4:50 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Currently the Rijksmuseum and the Van Gogh museum are presenting a major Rembrandt exhibit. The Van Gogh works are relegated to the top floor.

The Rembrandt exhibit is well worth the visit, though (actually Rembrandt, Rembrandt's students and his contemporaries such as Vermeer). Get a combined ticket (25 euros) so that you can visit both museums. After looking at Rembrandt reproductions and images on the web for many years, I had kind of forgotten why these painters were held in such high regard. After visiting the exhibit I am once again clear as to the reason. These painters used light and detail in a way that has to be seen to be appreciated. Reproductions don't do it. The canvas almost glows with light.

Oh, and BTW, end of April should put you smack dab in the middle of flower season. For heaven's sake get out of town and go see some posies.

the dogs
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: