Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 1 post ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Short Layover ? No problem! - Directions and Walktime
Posted: 2006-03-13, 5:54 pm

gg_austin
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Howdy people!

First I want to thank the community for helping out a newbie
This forum, The Device and Maps really are a great asset when trying to find your way..

Many people like me have a layover in Amsterdam and have that question in their head- Will I have enough time to visit the RLD or perhaps get a smoke?

This was my first time and I will give my pointers (no smoke for me but a nice lady):

I landed and had a total of 3 hrs until I needed to be back for boarding and that was enough time even after really messing around in the airport and wasting precious time trying to get some Euros, finding storage, buying a train ticket and really being confused of where I would actually find the trains- there are almost no signs in the main area that actually points you there.
Here’s an overview though:
http://content.schiphol.nl/info/platteg ... ningen.htm

When you first land, go through the passport control and when inside the main "Plaza", look up your departure gate so that you know exactly where to go. There are storage lockers nearby the entrance to the gate areas so it’s easy to store your stuff.
Then you want to go downstairs and will pass the passport control, once you get down just look for the exit that will take you outside where you will se a lot of stores and people waiting for the Arrivals.
Just go for the Train signs and either stop at a train ticket machine or look for the Ticket booths- which is t recommend if you feel uncertain because they can also point you to which exit you should take to get to your train ( I got a ticket in a machine and maybe I was stressed but I do not think it said where the train left from so I ended up at the train info booth anyway)
There's always a first time, so once you’ve gone through all this- you look back and go- man, it’s not that hard, but if you’re in a rush and new to the airport it is a little messy.

Get on to you train- pay attention so you don’t end up on the wrong one.
There is 2-3 stops before the Central Station and it is Very Obvious when you’re there- many tracks all around you and a lot of people leaving your surrounding seats. (Not to mention the obvious Central Station signs) ;O)

Hopefully you studied the Maps on this site, print them as well for the area you’re interested in.
Sure- reading reviews is a good thing and get a couple of choices of girls in case you have time, but if you don’t, no worries- once you get there, its filled with girls to choose from so you might even get a little "off track" and end up with someone else..

Now- the walk time once you get to the Central Station you ask?
Its very close- tops 15min to The Walletjes.
Here’s another map you can use other than the ones on this site:
http://www.flyingpig.nl/locations/downt ... nMap.shtml

I would recommend just walking straight down from the Central station on the big DAMRAK street. Once you pass through the first couple of traffic lights- cross over DAMRAK so you’re walking next to the canal on the left side of DAMRAK (south)
After about 10 minutes you won’t see the canal but instead have buildings to your left and soon you will see a little square (Beurs plein I believe) to your left and at the end of it there’s a street called Pep Brugel or Pep Brupel . Make a left here and when you’re at the end of it you see Warmoesstraat- make a left , then a quick right onto St Annenstraat and voilla! You’re there (see Wallen OudeKerk map)

Alternative- just find the Oude Kerk (old church) that you see on almost every map (it is a nice old church) and find out how to walk there, once you have the canal on your left and the church on the right – go down a bit and KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN for Dollebegijnensteeg and turn in there..( I missed I at first- it’s a narrow little opening and not a huge street)

When you’re done- back track or if you’re confused still – ask the lady how to get back on DAMRAK- it’s very easy and it takes you all the way up to Central Station again.

Once there, just go to the Train helpdesk (straight ahead from the front doors) and just ask to be sure (some trains do not stop at the airport so make sure you get on the right one)
Mine was track 10A which I’m sure is a regular..
Of course- when you first get to the CS, make sure you know what time your departure is back to the Airport.
I left the airport at 10:15AM, it took about 15 min to CS, and I walked to the Walletjes. In about 15 minutes (since I missed the street I was looking for) and my train left to the airport at 11:35 so it was about an hours worth ..

Once you get back, there is only one stop for the airport and you will get right back to where you were- so look for departure signs- Now you have to pass through the passport control again- When I got there I was tight on time and there was A LOT of people in line and I did not see an opening straight down to the passport control- If this is the case just try to get hold of someone and tell them that you’ve already have the tickets and just want to get to the gates and they'll tell you to pass under the ropes straight to the control. (just remember where you are departing from)

So if you have 3 hrs- NO PROBLEM!
If you’re more efficient at the airport (not like me) you can do it like 2 hrs

Good luck!!
GG
 [ 1 post ] 

Jump to: