Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Dutch Immigration Test
Posted: 2006-03-16, 3:57 pm

420 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Dutch immigrant test gets naked
New cultural film part of application

Bruce Mutsvairo
Associated Press
Mar. 16, 2006 12:00 AM

AMSTERDAM, Netherlands - The camera focuses on two gay men kissing in a park. Later, a topless woman emerges from the sea and walks onto a crowded beach.

For would-be immigrants to the Netherlands, this film is a test of their readiness to participate in the liberal Dutch culture.

If they can't stomach it, no need to apply. advertisement

Despite whether they find the film offensive, applicants must buy a copy and watch it if they hope to pass the Netherlands' new entrance examination.

The test, the first of its kind in the world, became compulsory Wednesday and was made available at 138 Dutch embassies.

Taking the exam costs $420. The price for a preparation package that includes the film, a CD-ROM and a picture album of famous Dutch people is $75.

"As of today, immigrants wishing to settle in the Netherlands for, in particular, the purposes of marrying or forming a relationship will be required to take the civic integration examination abroad," the Immigration Ministry said in a statement.

The test is part of a broader crackdown on immigration that has been gathering momentum in the Netherlands since 2001.

Anti-immigration sentiment peaked with filmmaker Theo van Gogh's murder by a Dutch national of Moroccan descent in November 2004.

Both praise and scorn have been poured on Immigration Minister Rita Verdonk, architect of the new test and other policies that have reduced immigration by at least a third.

"If you pass, you're more than welcome," Verdonk said. "It is in the interest of Dutch society and those concerned."

Not everyone is happy with the new test.

"Today is a black day for the people intending to bring their partners to Holland," said Buitenlandse Partner, a lobbying group for mixed Dutch immigrant couples.

Dutch theologian Karel Steenbrink criticized the 105-minute movie, saying it would be offensive to some Muslims.

But Mohammed Sini, chairman of a national Muslim organization, defended the film, saying that homosexuality is "a reality."

A censored version had been prepared because it is illegal to show such images in some countries, filmmaker Walter Goverde said.

Posted: 2006-03-16, 4:01 pm

420 Power Kat
"Taking the exam costs $420" Interesting number eh????

Posted: 2006-03-16, 5:54 pm

ChokDi
$420 ≈ €350

I guess the report came from a US paper . . .

Planning on changing your handle?

Chok Di

Posted: 2006-03-17, 4:22 am

420 Power Kat
Associated Press is in fact a U.S publication. Good catch! And no, don't plan on changing my handle but may consider Immigrating some day!

Posted: 2006-03-19, 8:21 pm

albany
To be honest, here in the UK, The Netherlands is seen as a sort of odd country with quite odd people. We respect their footballers and some of us respect the tolerance and open mindedness of the Amsterdammers, but that is as far as it seems to go for your average uneducated Tommy.

I guess it is stuff like this that fuels the odd view. Despite gay civil unions recently becoming a fact here in England, I suspect most people would raise eyebrows at the Dutch way of approaching the immigration issue.

But there you go, I wonder which attitude is really the more odd? The primeval and wild British attitude to immigration deserves only scorn and contempt.
Re: Dutch Immigration Test
Posted: 2006-03-19, 8:22 pm

albany
p.s. I never believed the idea of a liberal Dutch culture. Amsterdam yes. The rest of the country seems to be as conservative as the worst of the Germans. My experience only.
Posted: 2006-03-19, 8:42 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Albany - I would not go that far but I do think that (collectively) they are not as liberal as they think (or thought) they are which has led to a lot of soul-searching over Pim Fortuijn and the issues he raised - B61
Posted: 2006-03-24, 1:44 pm

DELETED
DELETED
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: