Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Phone Card/SIM card to use my cell phone in Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-03-26, 7:21 pm

krautinz
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi guys, and here a question of a slightly different nature.

I'd like use my cell phone in Amsterdam for local calls and get around the high rates my US carrier would charge me.

Was wondering if I could get some kinf od prepaid SIM card that gives me my own number while I'm in Amsterdam. Was able to find that in the UK from Vodafone but I'm not sure if it's possible in the Netherlands as well.

Would be great if somebody could help me there.

Needless to say that I'm always interested in meeting fellow punters, so if anybody is interested in a beer and s stroll through the RLD let me know. I'll be in Amsterdam from Wednesday, March 29. until Monday, April 3.

Thanks

Krautinz
Re: Phone Card/SIM card to use my cell phone in Amsterdam
Posted: 2006-03-26, 10:02 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
They're all over the place, you should have no problem finding one.
Posted: 2006-03-26, 10:19 pm

krautinz
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've seen a few place in the Spiegelquartier (hmm, guess the spelling ism't quite right, is it) but so far haven't seen anybody that had Mucha originals.

I'll keep searching and I'm sure will find something, otherwise the windows are never too far away.

Thanks again

Krautinz
Posted: 2006-03-26, 11:37 pm

banana61Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Mucha originals? Do you mean you want a dutch number or your current (presumably US) number?

If the former, then you can get prepaid SIM cards from phone and electrical shops, of which there are many varieties including Vodafone, and top-up cards from even more places including supermarkets such as Albert Heijn.

If the latter, I do not know but I doubt it.
Posted: 2006-03-27, 12:14 am

vicgoo
If you like,you can get a Holland sim card right here in the US before you leave,it,s a bit more than buying it in Amsterdam but you,ll have service from the moment the plane arrives at the gate when you,re allowed to turn your phone-here,s their site www.cellularabroad.com

Just make sure you have an unlocked phone or have it unlocked before you leave,do a google search for cell phone unlock,many ones out there.Also even more important,make sure your phone is a tri band or quad band with at least one of these bands- 900,1800 or it will not work in Europe even if it,s unlocked.Unlocking only frees it from accepting only 1 carrier,s sim card

[ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: