Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 14 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Absinth Bars
Posted: 2006-03-28, 9:27 pm

markcheech
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi everyone, I cannot remember for 2 yrs back so I wanted to ask here.

I think I remember seeing an Absinth bar in A'dam. I think it was near one of the grasshoppers. Can anyone help me out on this? Returning in may and wanted to go there.

Thanks
Re: Absinth Bars
Posted: 2006-03-28, 10:27 pm

withnail Power Kat
the absinthe bar is at nieuwezijds voorburgwal 171, by club NL. opens 8pm - 4am i believe. i have vague recall of a very drunken ignatzmice outing there some months back...

doog!

withnail
Posted: 2006-03-29, 1:04 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I've twice been to Absinthe on the NZV. Not a very exciting scene, and quite expensive for their Absinthe concoction which was made with Creme de Menthe I believe. It was something like 10 euro a shot. Also, the clientele seemed to be made up almost entirely of single men standing around waiting. For what? I'm still not sure.
Posted: 2006-03-29, 4:18 am

heynow1210
So what you're saying is that it wasn't real Absinthe? I remember reading sometime back that you can't real absinthe in Amsterdam.
Posted: 2006-03-29, 6:44 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
It's a mixture of Absinthe and Creme de Menthe. I think you can buy straight Absinthe at liquor stores.
Posted: 2006-03-29, 5:24 pm

DELETED
DELETED
Posted: 2006-03-29, 6:04 pm

Rainer
In the alley behind the Victoria Hotel there is a liquor store that sells absinthe. When I tried some I too ended up in a bar drinking all night and having wild conversations with other single men, so the scenario described by Bonejockey sounds perfectly rationale to me.

My advice to a novice is to tdrink absinthe while you are sober, and don't smoke any weed until after you have tried the stuff and see how it affects you. I had already drunk about 6 beers and smoked 3 joints before I drank absinthe, and I think that was a mistake. That's how I ended up in a bar with a bunch of single guys.

Posted: 2006-03-29, 8:21 pm

markcheech
thanks everyone. We will check this place out. I know this might sound crazy, but is there a web site for this place? What is the name of the place that you speak of? Is it better we go out and drink it or buy a bottle and have it in our apartment?

Thanks again!
Posted: 2006-03-31, 5:18 am

heynow1210
Where is the Hemp Hotel?
Posted: 2006-03-31, 1:48 pm

smuler Power Kat
Hemp Hotel is by Frederiksplein
Posted: 2006-03-31, 6:40 pm

Joecaddy
In general you will find two types, Absinthe with the 'e' and Absinth. From what I have noticed the Absinth comes from Czech Republic and Absinthe from France. Wikipedia will have some good facts:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe
Type Absinthe in a Google search and you will find many sites. Make sure Wormwood is in your Absinthe, otherwise it's not the real deal.

Lang Leve Nederlands!

Joecaddy.....
Posted: 2006-03-31, 7:43 pm

markcheech
^^^^

Thank you a ton! Appreaciate it!
Posted: 2006-04-02, 11:50 pm

AustonSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Hi --

The liquor store Ranier references is located at Nieuwendijk 75. You can't miss seeing all the bottles for sale (including, of course, Absinthe) displayed in the windows as you walk by.

It's a nice upscale store with plenty of options to choose from and a rather helpful staff to assist. They sell in it all sizes, so you can purchase just enough to give it a try.

Last time there, we purchased a brand called "King of Absinthe" and it made for a fun, albeit blurry evening. It was a higher cost brand, but well worth it, in my opinion.

I know I'll be back!

Enjoy.
Posted: 2006-04-03, 4:57 am

420 Power Kat
The current version of Absinth is a diluted version of what used to be a very strong halucinogenic concoction. The potent wormwood version is only sold on the black market and private bars in places around Europe. This is the illegal version, the legal version of what they sell in Amsterdam, Prague, and other European Cities is just a very lame version of the orginal elixor. The alchohol content varies between 120 - 160 proof, some have very slight amounts of Wormwood but in general, the major buzz is due to the alchohol.

[ 14 posts ] 

Jump to: