Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 3 of 3
 [ 53 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: KLM vs Easyjet (from UK)
Posted: 2014-05-10, 6:36 pm

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I posted a reply in October 2012 and said easyJet was cheaper by 50-100% than KLM.. my only other option at my local little airport. Now KLM have buggered off, so it's just easyJet again. For flights in July sunday-friday, it is still dirt cheap.. £60-70 return. Can't really go wrong with that tbh.

As for gate H at Schiphol.. I've never had an issue with it, other than security not letting people through if they're too early for the flight - the gate H area is too small for lot's of people to hang around for hours on end, so this is understandable of course. I just watch the screen right after security and then casually walk up to my departure gate, no fuss.
Posted: 2014-05-24, 1:52 pm

loolz Power Kat
Can anyone remember when KLM close their gates?

I'm considering booking a flight for next week but I will be going to the airport straight from work and would arrive (at the gate) about 20-30 mins before departure time. Too close?
Posted: 2014-05-24, 3:54 pm

Alice Beeblebrox
loolz wrote:
Can anyone remember when KLM close their gates?

I'm considering booking a flight for next week but I will be going to the airport straight from work and would arrive (at the gate) about 20-30 mins before departure time. Too close?

10 minutes

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=klm+gate+closing+time
Posted: 2014-05-24, 6:22 pm

loolz Power Kat
Alice Beeblebrox wrote:

Ha ha... Thanks (you dick) :D

Although the KLM website states "At other airports, these times can differ." so I guess there's no definitive answer. Think I'm gonna book it anyway - hopefully it works out lol.
Posted: 2014-05-25, 9:44 am

Alice Beeblebrox
I should have placed a smiley in my previous post. Humour was intended, hopefully no offence taken.
Posted: 2014-05-25, 11:24 am

loolz Power Kat
Yep, same goes for mine. :)
Posted: 2014-05-31, 2:48 pm

drizzle
I think you'll be fine - as I said up thread, this is one of the things I prefer about KLM, that they don't get you threough really early just to stand/sit about. Not in Glasgow at any rate. I'm normally in the bar until about 10-15 mins before departure.
Posted: 2014-05-31, 4:23 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
drizzle wrote:
I think you'll be fine - as I said up thread, this is one of the things I prefer about KLM, that they don't get you threough really early just to stand/sit about. Not in Glasgow at any rate. I'm normally in the bar until about 10-15 mins before departure.

I guess the following isn't too relevant to this discussion (flying UK <-> NL) but it reminds me of the time around four years ago when the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in Iceland and screwed up many flights around Europe. I was flying AMS -> JFK that day, with KLM. The flight had already been delayed two hours so I arrived at Schiphol with the new flight time in mind, leaving myself plenty of time. Wanted to relax, have a beer (or seven), etc. As I'm walking around the terminal, I get an automated phone call from Delta (I'd booked the flight through them) informing me that the flight is now delayed an additional two hours. Okay... fuck... but nothing I can do, so at least I have some more time to drink, explore the shops, etc. Nope. They page me: "Passenger [Bluto], immediate boarding please at gate [whatever]." Super! So, even though it was another 2.5 hours until we'd be allowed to push back, they were demanding I rush to the gate so that I can go sit in the miserable, crowded metal tube for the duration. Got to the gate, they skipped the usual stupid interview they do when you're flying to the US, got on the plane and just fucking sat there, until we finally departed 2.5 hours later. It wasn't a question of pulling away from the gate to free it up because we didn't move the entire time. The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to close the door, because the time the door is closed counts as their official departure time, instead of, you know, when the plane actually leaves the ground (ridiculous but this is how it works in the airline industry.) So, I can't say I was too thrilled with KLM that day. Overall though, I can't think of an airline I like better than them. Air travel just sucks a giant mule dick...

Posted: 2014-05-31, 5:33 pm

kingconan
Hey, Bluto.

I can offer a bit of an insight into why airlines do this. An ATC slot is usually an automated time that is generated by ATC software which will look at how busy the airports/airspace is.

When the aircraft is fully boarded, doors closed and holds closed the airline can then send what is effectively a "ready message" to ATC.

If the slots suddenly reduce or if a lot of airlines cancel resulting in free slots then it is usually those aircraft that have ready messages that will be able to get an earlier pushback/take off time.

Regards,

Conan
Posted: 2014-05-31, 6:01 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Ah, that makes sense, thanks for the insight. Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they didn't just do it to deliberately annoy customers, not that it wasn't annoying all the same! I know there's a reason for everything... there's just nothing I enjoy about air travel though.

Posted: 2014-06-01, 2:56 pm

loolz Power Kat
drizzle wrote:

Yeah I made it and had a little time to spare - they appear to allow very late boarding. It was the first 'cityhopper' flight I've been on though, which seemed to be the same as usual until we got to Schiphol. The plane landed right beside the building which was nice but it then proceeded to park at the KLM cargo area, so we had to be bussed to the terminal :/ It also took ages going through passport control as there were around 300 passengers and a lot of control points were closed. The easyjet area (arrivals 3, I guess) is never that busy.

On the way back I departed from one of the D gates which was worse than H imo. After security the waiting area was small and there weren't that many seats - most people were standing. Then we had our passports and boarding passes checked and were moved into a tiny area with like 20 seats and everyone was standing, crammed together - now that felt like a herd :/

Thumbs down for KLM this weekend... :P
Posted: 2014-06-01, 10:44 pm

drizzle
Uh oh! Just booked one of those! Hopefully they are not all that shitty.
Posted: 2014-09-01, 11:32 pm

rugbywill78
Out curiously I checked out BA And KLM websites and compared it to easy jet .both are from Heathrow and similar times to what I'm going with easy jet . both were more expensive than easy jet . I live 10 miles from Luton so for me its a no brainer that ongoing from Luton .
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 3 of 3
 [ 53 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: