Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 53 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: KLM vs Easyjet (from UK)
Posted: 2013-06-05, 9:18 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
billybob69 wrote:
Generally I get the impression that KLM are trying to reposition themselves in the airline market. They have realised that they aren't able to compete with the Middle Eastern airlines such as Etihad, Emirates etc on quality and won't be match the budget airlines on cost, so are trying to take some kind of middle ground.

I'd say that was an accurate assessment of their current strategy.
There are some months when the site of yet another bag of pretzels or a glazed waffle makes me bilious.

Posted: 2013-08-02, 6:44 pm

drizzle
Afternoon return flights for mid October with KLM, £114 pp. Looking forward to not being called to departure gate before the plane has even arrived a la Sleazyjet :-)
Posted: 2013-11-10, 1:58 pm

loolz Power Kat
I took my first ever KLM flight this weekend after around 25 easyjet trips to Amsterdam. Overall, they are both very similar and I didn't see any big advantages of using KLM. I guess the whole process felt a little bit 'nicer' and I liked that you get a couple of free snacks on board though it's not much. The plane still landed on one of the far-away runways and took off from the same. I'll just keep using the cheaper option for the future which will most likely always be easyjet.
Posted: 2013-11-11, 12:55 am

Shinken69 Power Kat
It's always worth checking that Easyjet is the cheapest option.
I fly from Edinburgh and sometimes find that KLM are cheaper, especially if you like to choose your seat.
If booking several months in advance, it's usually Easyjet, but when you find yourself drunkenly planning a last minute trip to our favourite city, it's often KLM that wins.

Posted: 2014-02-11, 12:54 pm

rugbywill78
i live 10 miles from Luton airport so its easier for me to hop on a train /or car to Luton and fly with easy jet . its cheaper than any other companies .

will
Posted: 2014-04-14, 3:55 pm

kingconan
Working within the aviation industry I get the chance to fly with a range of low cost and flag bearer airlines.

In terms of service there is very little difference between KLM and easyJet. Sure on KLM flights from the UK to AMS you get a drink and a packet of biscuits but it's hardly something that I would base my travel plans on.

Where KLM do tend to do better is the flight times and frequency of the flights. For me this is worth paying an extra £30-40 to ensure I can make the most of my time in AMS.

Performance and reliability wise both are around the same. easyJet has some of the best on time performance figures in Europe and KLM will very rarely delay a flight too.
Posted: 2014-04-14, 4:38 pm

stix
kingconan wrote:
Working within the aviation industry I get the chance to fly with a range of low cost and flag bearer airlines.

In terms of service there is very little difference between KLM and easyJet. Sure on KLM flights from the UK to AMS you get a drink and a packet of biscuits but it's hardly something that I would base my travel plans on.

Where KLM do tend to do better is the flight times and frequency of the flights. For me this is worth paying an extra £30-40 to ensure I can make the most of my time in AMS.

Performance and reliability wise both are around the same. easyJet has some of the best on time performance figures in Europe and KLM will very rarely delay a flight too.

KLM give far better service and I feel like I'm not in cattle class, also if you sign up for their flying blue scheme (free) you get free hold baggage and can book your seat rather than paying with sleazy jet or flybe, also for me klm are often cheaper- easyjet are cheap from a couple of uk airports, Luton and Liverpool but more expensive from anywhere else. Oh and I detest Luton airport!

Also klm offer a Better range of departure times
Posted: 2014-04-14, 4:44 pm

drizzle
Yeah, it's the frigging queing and calling you to your gate before the plane has even landed that gets me, not the lack of nuts.
Posted: 2014-04-15, 1:46 pm

loolz Power Kat
After 30 easyjet and 2 KLM flights to Amsterdam...

KLM is better because:
- Staff treat you better
- Don't have to take out earphones during take-off and landing
- No chavs on board
- Staff communication with passengers is way better (not pre-recorded crap played 10 times over)
- Run up to 6 flights on some days (vs. 1 for easyjet)

Easyjet is better because:
- Nearly always on time (and at least half my flights arrived ahead of schedule)
- Infinitely cheaper than KLM for same-day trips - KLM double or triple the fare if you want to return the same day :\

I wish easyjet did airmiles, I'd probably be due a free flight by now :)
Posted: 2014-05-08, 9:18 am

bm99
Hi all, first post on this site and thought id jump straight in to a easy topic

6 of us are going on a stag to dam next month, half the boys like smoking and the other like a bit of charlie so hopefully everyone will be satisfied one way or another

We were debating heavily between either, BA, Easyjet, or KLM on this trip. BA started of the best think it worked out to be something like £120 per person return and that was going from gatwick and return to heathrow best option for us but as we were lazy upon booking the price went up to almost £400

In the end it was a tossup between klm or easyjet and the only difference was approx £10 cheaper to go on easyjet BUT klm was going and returning from heathrow and we would have paid more than a tenner for a taxi plus you get a little snack lol

Have only been on easyjet once before and it was alright, 1st time going on klm so will try and report back. At least we managed to select our seats on klm dont think easyjet do that either
Posted: 2014-05-09, 12:44 am

hnbcm
Personally I always prefer Easyjet. Seats are bookable in advance. They also permit you to change (foc) on to an earlier flight home (if seats available).
Posted: 2014-05-09, 9:04 am

kingconan
hnbcm wrote:
Personally I always prefer Easyjet. Seats are bookable in advance. They also permit you to change (foc) on to an earlier flight home (if seats available).

The policy to change on to an earlier flight is strictly just for Scotland to London flights. You may get lucky with trying to change an Ams to UK flight for free but it would be the exception rather than the rule.
Posted: 2014-05-09, 10:54 am

hnbcm
Actually it is Easyjet's policy to permit this. And they have changed my flight numerous times.

This is taken today from Easyjet's website:

If you arrive at the airport early and wish to transfer to an earlier flight we can offer you a free of charge transfer on the same day subject to flight availability. You must have already made an outbound flight with us on the same booking and be returning to the original point of departure from the original destination in that booking. The free transfer can be made at the easyJet airport sales desk only.
Posted: 2014-05-09, 11:50 am

kingconan
hnbcm wrote:
Actually it is Easyjet's policy to permit this. And they have changed my flight numerous times.

This is taken today from Easyjet's website:

If you arrive at the airport early and wish to transfer to an earlier flight we can offer you a free of charge transfer on the same day subject to flight availability. You must have already made an outbound flight with us on the same booking and be returning to the original point of departure from the original destination in that booking. The free transfer can be made at the easyJet airport sales desk only.

Oh wow, I apologise about that! They have really opened up the early transfer policy since I last looked at it, fair play to them!

I guess if you are flying to somewhere like Gatwick with multi flights a day this could be worth it, for me travelling to/from Edinburgh with only 1/2 flights a day, KLM will always be a winner.
Posted: 2014-05-10, 11:22 am

Shinken69 Power Kat
Most of my trips are Friday morning to Monday night, from Edinburgh. This year KLM have been cheaper than Easyjet, which is the only thing I really care about. Although now that the EDI flight lands on THAT runway most of the time, the appeal has been tarnished a little.

I do think that EasyJet have improved their service lately, but their setup / departure gates at Schiphol are like a cattle yard. This is my main gripe. Why can't they board in a more orderly fashion now that they have allocated seating and prevent that ugly scrum? At any other airport, no issues, EasyJet every time.

I know some people will see this as a negative point, but I've been voluntarily bumped from the KLM flight a couple of times as it was overbooked. This means another night in the Netherlands and money to spend on our favourite vices all at KLM's expense. I also had 2 extra days food and lodgings at their expense during the Icelandic volcano incident. Despite European legislation, try getting any compensation from EasyJet when shit happens.

Last edited by Shinken69 on 2014-05-10, 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2014-05-10, 12:03 pm

kingconan
Shrinken we have probably been on the same flight as eachother and not realised!
Posted: 2014-05-10, 12:28 pm

loolz Power Kat
kingconan wrote:
Shrinken we have probably been on the same flight as eachother and not realised!

Haha, probably me too, I fly from Edinburgh as well (mostly on Fridays and Mondays) :P

Shinken69 wrote:
I do think that EasyJet have improved their service lately, but their setup / departure gates at Schiphol are like a cattle yard. This is my main gripe. Why can't the board in a more orderly fashion now that they have allocated seating and prevent that ugly scrum?

Is this not the fault of Schiphol rather than Easyjet? It's just the way gate H is setup. I generally now always have speedy boarding (free with their flexi flights) so I can arrive at the gate 20 mins before takeoff and just walk on to the plane without any waiting or at least get a seat if I have to wait a little.

They do seem to be constantly improving - I noticed on my flight last week that they have relaxed their rules on electronic devices.

Quote:
This year KLM have been cheaper than Easyjet

I have found it to be the opposite :S

Anyway, I'm surprised this thread is still going lol. For a one hour flight, it really doesn't matter who you pick - just go for the cheapest :)
Posted: 2014-05-10, 1:03 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
Yes, for me the hotel choice/price is more important than the airline.
My old favourite Hotel Bellevue seems to think it can charge more than the Kras now that it's an Ibis. WTF?

The KLM vs EasyJet differences are truly minor, but who doesn't like a moan?
I'm not sure who is responsible for the H Gate setup, perhaps it's down to KLM pressure on Schiphol, I tend to think that EasyJet are responsible for how their boarding is run though.
Speedy boarding is advisable, but that brings the price closer to KLM. One tip if you don't want to pay for speedy boarding is to use the Schiphol App as it announces the gate before the boards do. If you wait through security and watch the App, you will be first in the cattle yard.

I book well in advance. March, June, Sept & sometimes Dec when I'm paying and as often as possible when work are. I often take some circuitous routes to be sure there is an AMS stopover. (8~>).
My upcoming June trip was booked in early Feb. Closer to the event I'm sure EasyJet would win on price.
Whoever's cheapest wins.

I too am surprised that this topic still has legs. LOL

Posted: 2014-05-10, 4:41 pm

izziehurix
I prefer KLM because they have flights to Schipol from the London City Airport, which is in Central London.

I have hated every one of my EasyJet flights. The check-in staff treat their customers with contempt, as if we are just little children. I absolutely detest the way they handle the check-in and carry-on luggages, particularly the way they weigh each carry-on luggage at the departure gate before boarding the plane.

I hate EasyJet so much that I now hate that stupid and cheap orange color they use.

On the other hand, I understand that one often has no choice when it comes to the cheapest price and the more convenient schedule.

Addendum: Looking back, I haven't actually taken an Easyjet flight to Amsterdam, so my 'rant' is probably uninformative. All of my Easyjet flights were within the British Isles and have been terrible.

Last edited by izziehurix on 2014-05-10, 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2014-05-10, 5:02 pm

loolz Power Kat
Shinken69 wrote:
but who doesn't like a moan?

True, it's what makes us British :D

Quote:
I book well in advance. March, June, Sept & sometimes Dec when I'm paying and as often as possible when work are. I often take some circuitous routes to be sure there is an AMS stopover. (8~>).

Ah, I usually book anytime from a couple of weeks before to one day before my trip, which is when KLM are most expensive. Your work pays for some flights? I've seen some others on this forum mention they get work-paid flights and even other expenses paid for their trips. Lucky buggers - I need one of these jobs!
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 2 of 3
 [ 53 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: