Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
learning Dutch?
Posted: 2013-08-17, 2:09 am

stix
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi all, has anyone got any recomendations for learning materials for learning basic conversational Dutch, i've set myself the challenge of learning a foriegn language so i'm not the typical Brit abroad! i guessed dutch might fit with my travel plans!

I'm not that great with languages (typically poor!!) and the usual linguaphone lessons dont seem to stick, any suggestions? i've trawled the free stuff online and some of the vocab in written form makes sense, spoken not a chance!
Re: learning Dutch?
Posted: 2013-08-17, 7:36 am

potlover
I started with this app for smartphone https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... d.nl&hl=it
it's good for learning some pronunciation and basic conversation

Posted: 2013-08-17, 8:44 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
IMHO there's not much point in learning Dutch unless you are going to seek employment in the Netherlands. Most everyone in the cities speaks it well enough to get by, including most RLD girls from other countries. It's a matter of economics to learn English there.

A better bet would probably be German. Then when you inevitably seek out the FKK scene you will be able to converse with just about every girl you meet regardless of where she's from. FKK girls are under less pressure to learn English, especially in the smaller clubs.

Posted: 2013-08-17, 2:21 pm

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
You can't just learn a new language, even at "only" conversational level, without months of solid tuition or years of casual learning.. it just doesn't happen.
Posted: 2013-08-18, 12:40 am

jefke
I would say try to find ways to immerse yourself in dutch (or any other language).
Music, movies, newspapers, tv shows, etc... Doesn't matter what as long as it's in dutch. Subtitled in english even better. This will also make you familiar with the phonetics. The problem with linguaphone and the like is that the they usually speak slow, perfect articulation, perfect standard pronunciation. Not real world.

From a practical point of view german is of course far more important than dutch.
German is however much harder at the grammatical level. Four grammatical cases, three genders...
I think that for a native english speaker dutch is one of the easiest language to learn (though you
will get some pronunciation problems with certain vowels).

You are bit at a disadvantage of speaking english, everybody who speaks dutch also speaks english as second or third language. The moment someone spots an accent people will immediately switch to english, esp. in touristic places like amsterdam.

Like davey said, it's a loooong road to learn a language as an adult unless you are gifted. You have to have serious motivation or otherwise skip the idea.

Anyway success!

PS: you could start reading hookers.nl, although that's not always a perfect example of standard language :)
Posted: 2013-08-18, 1:51 am

stix
jefke wrote:

PS: you could start reading hookers.nl, although that's not always a perfect example of standard language :)

Ha ha I've started that already!! Thanks for all the help, I understand the difficulties, and that almost every Dutch speaker i've met seems to automatically switch to perfect english!

I've downloaded a few apps to increase my vocab, i'll see how that goes!
Posted: 2013-09-05, 4:23 pm

balou1999_75962
neurosynth wrote:
IMHO there's not much point in learning Dutch unless you are going to seek employment in the Netherlands. Most everyone in the cities speaks it well enough to get by, including most RLD girls from other countries. It's a matter of economics to learn English there.

A better bet would probably be German. Then when you inevitably seek out the FKK scene you will be able to converse with just about every girl you meet regardless of where she's from. FKK girls are under less pressure to learn English, especially in the smaller clubs.

+1
Posted: 2013-09-06, 6:53 pm

Alice Beeblebrox
Radio Lingua podcast "One Minute Dutch" is a cracking resource.

I can;t seem to post URLs on this forum but you can just google "one minute dutch podcast"

Yeah, you need a few more posts (10, to be precise), sorry.
Here's the link: http://radiolingua.com/2011/10/introduc ... ute-dutch/ --admin
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: