Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Netherlands visas?
Posted: 2017-04-20, 4:08 pm

nyc diesel
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I know, Micers, very off-topic, but does anyone with US citizenry like I have had any personal experiences obtaining a visa for residency and work? I'm sure the process is a longshot for someone like me---in my late 50s---but it's worth a shot.

Feel free to post or send me a PM if you know of any good visa lawyer or immigration services who are friendly and affordable toward non-EU citizens. And yes, I can imagine with world events as they are, these services may be overwhelmed by more serious cases than mine.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Re: Netherlands visas?
Posted: 2017-04-24, 7:17 am

Eric
... being too lazy to verify, by answering your question, I've made an educated guess that the conditions are similar in the Netherlands as they are in Germany; if I'm wrong, my apologies.

You can get a student visa if you are able to enroll in a school or university, or you can find an employer that sponsors your visa application as your professional expertise is unique and would better the economy (not as hard as it sounds if your sponsor is a large recognized company).

In Germany, the magic duration is something like 7 years of continuous employment residence to be entitled to permanent residency.

A more straight forward method is to honestly fall in love with and merry a woman of the EU - Romanians and Bulgarians are in abundance in A'dam, for example - you know where ;-) --- I'm not really being serious.

Sans success with any of the above options, my understanding is that Americans are permitted to reside in the EU for 90 days at a time without a visa (with a 90 day intermission between each stay).

... Eric
Posted: 2017-08-22, 6:28 pm

stix
Another option is looking into your ancestry and seeing if you have any Heritage which would allow you to get an EU passport Irish, Italian and British being quite common.

Bit of a long way round but would allow you the right to work and reside hassle free
Posted: 2017-08-24, 9:05 pm

nyc diesel
Actually, I shot an email to an immigration lawyer in the NL a few months ago. It seems if one is American and is willing to be self-employed/set up a business, the NL may be open to permanent residency. I hit a reality bump (my savings are mediocre; I need great health care right away; I'm not young; etc.) and I didn't follow up with him. And who knows? The legal costs alone may swallow up what little I have.

Maybe it's because I pay Manhattan rents, but I subscribe to Amsterdam rental sites. Some furnished studios near the ArenA go for about 600 euros; some furnished places in De Pijp are only 1250. Is this too good to be true?
Posted: 2017-08-26, 11:23 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What you are looking for is the Dutch American Friendship Treaty (DAFT).
You can get residency in the Netherlands under family reunification rules, if you have family there.
You can get a work permit if you are sponsored by a Dutch firm, and have skills deemed useful.
Or you can go DAFT....
You need a business plan, reviewed by a certified Dutch accountant.
You need to register your plan with the proper Dutch office.
You need to keep a minimum of 4500 Euros working capital in a Dutch bank.
Your plan doesn't have to turn a profit. It coud be a real estate company with one building that you rent to yourself. You just have to keep the minimum deposit, and otherwise keep up with the ever changing rules regarding registration of the business, insurance for the employees, benefits for the employees....
I think there is another residency route for retirees, but it involves a much larger deposit into a Dutch bank. The Canadian version of that plan requires $300,000.00

Weasel

Posted: 2017-08-27, 9:20 pm

Tulip
Hi Weasel,

For Canadians can you please provide more info on '...real estate company with one building that you rent to yourself'. Also, for '....residency route for retirees'.

Please direct me where I can find information on the topics.

Thanks.
Posted: 2017-08-28, 4:54 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Sorry, I only know of the Canadian retiree plan from talking to a friend.
I have no personal experience or details.
The department that handles this is the Ministry of Security and Justice.
Website is ind.nl

Weasel

Posted: 2017-09-02, 6:08 am

nyc diesel
Yes, Weasel. the lawyer I consulted was allied with DAFT. Sadly, I don't have any Dutch roots.

I do have a marketable skill I can perform online for US clients or the rare Netherlands resident who would need my expertise in language arts, but I'm unsure if I can earn enough to cover living costs, healthcare, etc.

But once I get back from my Prague journey in a few weeks, I'll investigate what options I may have.

Prague is so much more affordable for US ex-pats, I imagine, but the Netherlands is more similar to US culture, Less culture shock.
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 8 posts ] 

Jump to: