Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
How Europe views American Gun Issues (from a Dutch perspective)
Posted: 2018-02-17, 7:59 pm

420 Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Interesting commentary

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics ... day-lubach

Posted: 2018-02-17, 11:45 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
A few thoughts:

Threre are about 300 million legally registered guns in the US.
There are probably as many unregistered guns (purchased before registration existed, inhereted, or owned by criminals). Crazy, I know!

It is almost impossibe to get insurance related to gun use. If you have any type of mishap with a weapon, you will be sued here. Even if the use of the weapon was entirely legal. The cost to defend yourself from lawsuit can be staggering. Hundreds of thousands of dollars.

The most common source for insurance against these suits is through membership in the National Rifle Association (NRA).
I'm not a fan of the NRA, but if you carry a weapon for work, hunt, live on a ranch or a farm, you probably are a member of the NRA, just for the insurance. The NRA will claim that all members are devoted to the very strange policies that they fund, but I beg to differ.

It is possible to get a conceal-carry gun permit in 49 states. The exception is Illinois. In Chicago, Illinois, it is not possible to legally sell a gun or ammunition. It is legal to own a weapon, but it must be unloaded, and in a locked case. A recent Supreme Court case involved a man in Chicago that used his gun to defend himself from an armed home invader. He was charged with illegally unlocking and loading his gun. He won the suit.

The city with the highest rate of gun violence in the US? Chicago, Illinois.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to own automatic weapons in the US (Automatic=1 trigger pull, unlimited rounds fired until the trigger is released). it costs $200 to get the special permit for each gun.
Also crazy, I know.
It is possible to modify semi-automatic weapons to fully auto in about an hour.
The AR-15 is semi-automatic, and NOT an assault rifle. The .223 round that it fires is so small that they can not be used legally to hunt deer in many states because they wound, but do not kill the deer.

Gun ownership is legal in the Netherlands, but I understand that it is nearly impossible to get a license to hunt, even on private land.

I like the system in Germany, where you need to belong to a club to buy a weapon or ammunition. Most weapons and ammunition have to be stored at the club. If you are dangerous or incompetent, the club will kick you out.

I don't know what the rules are in the UK, but I get the impression that you have to be a member of the monarchy to own a gun.

Despite the many glaring, obvious and stupid problems with gun laws in the US, I doubt they will change for two reasons:

1) Gun ownership is protected as the 2nd point in the Bill of Rights, behind freedom of speech. The law is designed in a way so that it is nearly impossible to change. Even subtle, entirely reasonable restrictions on gun ownership have been impossible to enact due to the built-in protections for the 2nd amendment. Fat, loud, drunk and armed. Your rights as an American for the last 250 years. It is more likely that Americans will lose the right to be drunk (for a second time) before they ever lose the right to be armed.

2) Both polital parties like to use this topic to enrage voters, and manipulate voter turnout. Enormous amounts of money get donated to politicians that claim to be the savior with a plan, only to come back asking for even more money for the next election for an even better plan. The money just pours in to both sides, but nothing ever really changes.

Weasel

Posted: 2018-02-18, 6:40 am

Brunettes
The guy has a documented history of mental problems and was able to purchase a gun legally. Unbelievable.
Re: How Europe views American Gun Issues (from a Dutch perspective)
Posted: 2018-02-21, 10:08 pm

funfor2houston
I remember talking to a Dutch guy after 911 and I really didn't understand the law . But he told me that they were allowed to own guns but it was locked up in an armory and he could get it out to shoot at a competitive range.

Things are crazy right now , I own one of those semi automatic weapons , honestly I have not shot it in 10 years.

This will probably light a few people up but something needs to be done about some of the weapons you can purchase . Of course a background check but it does not seem to work . What is a screwed up kid doing with any weapon . A police officer here in Houston told me after the shooting he wished all semi and automatic weapons were gone . He said he was trained in them but they do not carry them and when they get called out they never know what they will find. Of course he explained they are finding people messed up on fentenal lately and he said good god if these people get their hands on guns .................
Posted: 2020-05-26, 10:56 pm

cfgauss
Brunettes wrote:
The guy has a documented history of mental problems and was able to purchase a gun legally. Unbelievable.

Yes, unbelievable
Posted: 2020-05-30, 8:49 am

Mojito
Whilst in the USA, having the right to defend yourself and choosing to buy a weapon is part of their Constitution. My personal views as someone who rarely involves himself in politics are that a country like America with easy access to guns will inevitably lead to more gun use and hence violent deaths.

My views would be to be more strict with purchasing guns and to reduce the gun culture slowly over several years (I know not everyone has a gun, but the aim would be to minimize it further).

That is my two cents...
Posted: 2020-05-31, 1:04 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
What is unbelieveable is that a guy with a grand total of 8 posts here is digging up something from two years ago. What is up with that?

Having spent a large part of my adult life stationed in Europe as a member of the US military, i saw things that did not make sense to me. Perhaps you could help.

It seems to me that I was sent to provide for the defence of western europe because people that should have had that responsibility could not (or would not) do the job. A big part of that job involved handling weapons. I grew up on a farm in the great north woods, and have been using those tools since I was 8 years old. That experience with weapons served me very well in that job. How will the citizens of Europe ever be able to participate in their own defence in any meaningful way if they are completely unfamiliar with even basic weapons?

Weasel

Posted: 2020-05-31, 2:46 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
weasel9x9 wrote:
What is unbelieveable is that a guy with a grand total of 8 posts here is digging up something from two years ago. What is up with that?

It's a common tactic employed by spammers to increase their post count to the point that they can post external links. They select random threads (usually years old) and post something inane and relatively innocuous to avoid attracting the attention of moderators, all the while arousing suspicion by replying to years-old threads. His post history reveals similar garbage, hence this asshole is banned.

weasel9x9 wrote:
It seems to me that I was sent to provide for the defence of western europe because people that should have had that responsibility could not (or would not) do the job.

Truer words have never been written. Thank you.

Posted: 2020-05-31, 9:05 pm

IQ
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:
His post history reveals similar garbage, hence this asshole is banned.

Well done and thanks Bluto. His one-line, irrelevant posts revealed him.
Post new topic  Board index » Miscellaneous » General Discussion / Off-Topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: