Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 40 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Announcements Ignatz II
Posted: 2010-09-06, 7:40 pm

jgramos Moderator
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Would have to agree with Neurosynth regarding "open-ended" editting of posts. I know there aren't often arguments on here, but if there is, it'd be impossible to see what's gone on if everyone could change their previous posts after the events happening....and therefore impossible to moderate such an argument!

With regards to editting details of girls, etc..... when, for example, you find out new info or correct spelling of names, etc, etc, etc..... if it's a change you need to do to your post in "the girls" section, I'm sure a pm to Brad07 will be acceptable, and I'm sure he'd make your changes......if there's something else needed changing in a post, I don't mind you pm'ing me and asking me to do it, but if editting the post doesn't seem appropriate then I wouldn't do it without good reason.

Peace

Posted: 2010-09-06, 9:21 pm

Harvey WallenbangerSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm with the rest on open editing. Also can we get an 'ignore' button?

"I mean, what's not to love? Especially when you see how I party man, it's epic. The run I was on made Sinatra, Flynn, Jagger, Richards, all of them, just look like droopy-eyed, armless children." - Charlie Sheen
Posted: 2010-09-07, 3:59 am

smuler Power Kat
On another forum that ive been on for years, the ignore button is a blessing sometimes

Best Regards

Smuler

Last edited by smuler on 2010-09-08, 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2010-09-07, 4:20 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
george47 wrote:
Would it be possible to add simple functions like a quote button and perhaps the common colour, bold, underline etc options you see available on other forums? Just basic stuff, I am certainly not asking for smileys or flashing avatars.

I've seen these features on vBulletin-based forums but I don't know that phpBB offers them (they might, I just haven't had time to look into it). This stuff doesn't appear to be available with our current (somewhat ancient) installation, and upgrading is less than straightforward given the amount of custom modifications made to the Ignatz flavor of the software. It's something to consider for the future. And I can certainly appreciate that many may assume implementing such things is "simple" and "basic"... I truly wish that were the case!

I tend to agree with those who indicated that allowing indefinite editing of posts would present more problems than it would resolve. As JG noted, the mods are able to help in such instances and I'm also happy to help out if anyone sends me a PM.

Harvey Wallenbanger wrote:
Also can we get an 'ignore' button?

smuler wrote:
On another forum that ive been on for years, th ignore button is a blessing sometimes

I agree that this would be useful. Again, pretty much the same answer as above for now... but I'll look into it. I'd like to think we run a reasonably tight ship here, so in the meantime, if there was anyone causing such a disruption that the majority of our visitors felt inclined to filter their posts, I suspect that individual probably would end up on the banlist soon enough anyway...

Keep the suggestions coming guys. Even if we can't act immediately on some of them, feedback is always valuable.

Posted: 2010-09-07, 6:15 am

davey1800Power Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Having an ignore feature sends out the wrong signals. Not many people post here, so it's easy to read everything that's being posted before it ends up on page 2 of the forum. So any problem posters are dealt with swiftly via mockery by us, or by getting banned by the mods. However, if somebody just doesn't like another poster then it's tough.. we're all entitled to our opinions and should respect other people's views without becoming aggressive and "ignoring" them. It creates tensions that should never be there.

Basically, all regulars should work together to provide entertainment, news and general observations without running the risk of being ejected from the clique, due to some perceived slight on another poster's part.

The edit button was removed due to some clown posting a load of posts, getting the info he wanted and then saying something along the lines of "ok thanks, I'm deleting all my posts as I've gotten what I wanted", which didn't go down too well.

However, there are also regular posters who edit previous posts out of spite, once they get into a minor confrontation with somebody else. So it's a problem to be able to edit and also NOT being able to edit. I think we should keep it how it is though. i.e. a very short window of opportunity to edit spelling mistakes and whatnot.
Posted: 2010-09-07, 8:11 am

smuler Power Kat
Davey

The " ignore " function is enabled through the users profile , so you only " ignore " who you want to....

Best Regards

Smuler

Posted: 2010-09-07, 6:34 pm

Harvey WallenbangerSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Quote:
However, if somebody just doesn't like another poster then it's tough.. we're all entitled to our opinions and should respect other people's views without becoming aggressive and "ignoring" them. It creates tensions that should never be there.

Basically, all regulars should work together to provide entertainment, news and general observations without running the risk of being ejected from the clique, due to some perceived slight on another poster's part.

I was not requesting an ignore button to be spiteful or because I don’t like the people that post here, quite the opposite is true. This feature is prevalent on most websites these days and as Smuler has stated, sometimes it can be a blessing. 'Ignoring' another poster happens only on your account, it does not show up anyplace else, nobody but you knows you are ignoring anothers post(s), hence no bad feelings or tensions are created.

I’d like to see this site be as forward thinking and to be as feature-rich as possible, that is why we are all currently chipping in with ideas…

Quote:
The edit button was removed due to some clown posting a load of posts, getting the info he wanted and then saying something along the lines of "ok thanks, I'm deleting all my posts as I've gotten what I wanted", which didn't go down too well.

However, there are also regular posters who edit previous posts out of spite, once they get into a minor confrontation with somebody else. So it's a problem to be able to edit and also NOT being able to edit. I think we should keep it how it is though. i.e. a very short window of opportunity to edit spelling mistakes and whatnot.

As a previous poster has stated, it was requested more to cull-out old and outdated information than as a weapon of spite.

Again, this and all the ideas being thrown around are to better the site as a whole and to keep not just its content current, but also to keep the overall design current and easy to use/access.

Just my .02 cents…

HW

"I mean, what's not to love? Especially when you see how I party man, it's epic. The run I was on made Sinatra, Flynn, Jagger, Richards, all of them, just look like droopy-eyed, armless children." - Charlie Sheen
Posted: 2010-09-07, 8:47 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
bluto
you asked for suggestions ok...

when a thread gets long, say over 20 posts, the posts dont follow in cinque, the newest post sometimes is between older posts, which can be annoying trying to find it.
is there anyway you can
1. get the posts to follow in order?
2. or is my pc f**ked ? lol

shite, also have forgotten to welcome the 3 new officers !! congrats
regards

Posted: 2010-09-08, 1:23 am

jgramos Moderator
G'hoff - I'm fairly certain all the posts run in "posting time" order. Well, I've never notice it do anything different. Perhaps i've missed something.

Peace

Posted: 2010-09-08, 3:09 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Greenhoff - I haven't noticed that but if you can identify a thread where it seems to be the case, please let me know and I'll have a look.

Posted: 2010-09-08, 9:19 am

Supporting Member
"pimps in RLD"

Posted: 2010-09-08, 5:37 pm

br1965Supporting Member
Supporting Member
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:

I've seen these features on vBulletin-based forums but I don't know that phpBB offers them (they might, I just haven't had time to look into it). This stuff doesn't appear to be available with our current (somewhat ancient) installation, and upgrading is less than straightforward given the amount of custom modifications made to the Ignatz flavor of the software. It's something to consider for the future. And I can certainly appreciate that many may assume implementing such things is "simple" and "basic"... I truly wish that were the case!

Bluto,

I've learned more than I care to know about phpBB in the last couple of months. My hosting company crapped out the server my forum was hosted on and I had to rebuild; chose to move it to a new hosting company at the same time. Found a great resource who is on the support team for phpBB.

I'm not quickly seeing what version you are running. The quote buttons and such are all selections in the ACP.

In general I like the quote buttons and such, I do not like the idea of being able to edit infinitely.

eric
Posted: 2010-09-08, 7:39 pm

makelove Power Kat
Congratulations to the new owners from me too.

One small change that would make reading the posts a bit easier would be to put more posts from one topic on the same page. Now there are only 10 posts on one page, I would recommend to increase that to 100, or at least to 50.
-It would make it easier for the readers/posters.
-There is mostly just text in the posts so it would not slow things down, we all have fast enough Interent connection.
-It would probably make less work for your server, while we would not have to change the pages of a topic all the time.
Posted: 2010-09-10, 9:03 am

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I would vote for making it a user selectable preference. Over wifi I'd have it turned up, but on a 3G phone network or worse 100 posts at a time is too much. Frankly I log in enough that any given thread rarely has more than 10 new posts anyway.

Posted: 2010-09-10, 7:08 pm

george47 Power Kat
Blutoblutarsky wrote:

I meant basic as in basic features, not basic to implement. I wouldn't have a clue myself.

I belong to a few other forums with open ended editing times and there's been no problems. I do understand the concerns mentioned on this thread though.
Posted: 2010-09-10, 9:12 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
greenhoff wrote:
"pimps in RLD"

Checked the thread, sorry but I don't see the problem. For me, all entries seem to appear in the order posted.

Posted: 2010-09-10, 9:16 pm

Supporting Member
well it must be my PC !!
even this thread goes sept, then aug, then sept !!
even your last post is half way up the thread !!

i will just have to go thro the dates, no probs

Posted: 2010-09-10, 9:30 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
greenhoff wrote:
well it must be my PC !!
even this thread goes sept, then aug, then sept !!
even your last post is half way up the thread !!

Are you using flat view or threaded view? For example, at the top of the board, you have...

inline image

Where it says "[ threaded ]" on mine (meaning click this to switch to threaded), does it say "[ flat view ]" for you? If so, click it to toggle the setting and switch to flat view. That should then show you all the posts in order. Please let me know if you still see the problem after this.

Posted: 2010-09-11, 5:37 am

Supporting Member
Oh yes indeed.
Thankyou Bluto, that makes things easier !!
regards

Posted: 2011-03-26, 7:02 am

TheAdmiralSupporting Member
Supporting Member
It seems I'm quite late in the game to add my good wishes to the new group here. Between my general incoherence, being away and increasing state of senility I'm just catching up to all the changes that have occurred.

Axxxtw, thanks (once again) for creating this site. I can't thank you enough for the riches of life experiences it brought to me over the years. Best wishes and luck on wherever life takes you.

Wim, thanks.

BlutoBlutarsky, thanks.
AmsterdamChris, thanks.
jgramos & everyone else who keeps the Ignatz flame alive,

thank you.
 [ 40 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: