Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 18 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Can't log in? Read this.
Posted: 2011-02-17, 8:33 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
If the login page simply reloads without an error message, clear your browser's cache and clear any ignatzmice cookies by clicking on "Delete all board cookies" near the bottom right of the forum index page. It may help to also search for all ignatzmice.com cookies through your browser's preferences/options and remove them manually (I'm not sure if "Delete all board cookies" really gets everything). Then restart your browser and try again.
    inline image
If your password is being rejected, use the forgot my password link to reset it (resetting the password has thus far fixed the problem for everyone who couldn't log in following the board upgrade). Check your spam folder for the email containing your new password, especially if you are using a free email service like Gmail, Yahoo, etc, as they tend to flag our stuff as spam. If you can, whitelist nobody@ignatzmice.com to ensure you receive our emails.

If you still have problems, use "Contact Us" and I'll help you out. Please make sure to use the email address associated with your account (or at least tell me what that email address was, in the event you no longer have it) so that I can verify each request. And include your username in the email. Thank you and apologies for this issue (which is a known problem with phpBB when doing the 2.x -> 3.x upgrade... certain passwords do not get converted correctly due to a change in the way the database stores them in the new version).

Posted: 2011-02-18, 7:39 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Okay, I've replied to everyone who's contacted me so far... hopefully you all received a response. The password reset does the trick every time, so we hope this problem is indeed that limited in scope. Everything else seems to be working properly for the time being.

Posted: 2011-02-21, 10:05 pm

Iron Sheik
no everything is great....now play with my hamtits while I stroke my dog
Re: If anyone is having trouble logging in....
Posted: 2011-02-23, 6:10 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Yes. Quite. Well, I'm glad to see that at least you're able to log in...

Posted: 2011-02-24, 3:00 am

Sportsman's?Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I'm able to login on my phone. In order to get to a "reply" page I had to check the "keep me logged in" box. If this post is visible to the board, then I can post from my phone.

Posted: 2011-02-24, 3:03 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Sportsman's? wrote:
I'm able to login on my phone. In order to get to a "reply" page I had to check the "keep me logged in" box. If this post is visible to the board, then I can post from my phone.

Thanks! I actually just modified a security setting that I think may help resolve the problem.

If anyone else is still having problems staying logged in on mobile devices (or otherwise), please check the "Log me on automatically each visit" box and let me know if that helps... post here.

Actually I'm more interested in hearing from those it doesn't help... post here if you're having the problem.

Posted: 2011-03-02, 8:27 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
One really shouldn't need to check the "Log me in automatically each visit" box in order to not get logged out while posting a reply. I set the session length to 5 hours, so unless it takes you that long to pen a reply, you really shouldn't be getting logged out when you try to submit it.

Is anyone having this problem now? If you are, clear your ignatz cookies as previously described and try again. Please post here with your results.

Posted: 2011-03-03, 7:27 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
In an attempt to rectify the problem greenhoff reported (and which I *think* I was able to reproduce once) with having to log in each visit, I made a change to the cookie settings (as suggested on the phpBB support forums). It seemed to work in test, but caused problems in prod. So I've backed it out and things are as before.

Unfortunately everyone has to log in again now. Sorry, folks.

I'm actually not sure what else I can change at this point... the default settings seem as correct as we're gonna get, anything else breaks things. Only advice I can offer is to delete all your old ignatzmice.com cookies through your browser settings/options (firefox lets you search for everything matching ignatzmice.com if you click "remove individual cookies"), as the option the board provides only removes those set by the new board. I suspect (but am not sure) that some of the old cookies (particularly any set by the main page/CMS, which would have been previously tied to the old board) may interfere under certain circumstances and cause this problem. Clearing them may resolve any problems you're having. If you're unable to isolate the ignatz cookies, clearing all cookies is a last resort (since you'll lose other things, stored logins, etc). Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer right now... upgrades suck.

Posted: 2011-03-20, 7:20 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
I have "Log me in automatically each visit" checked and it usually seems to work. But, from time to time, I find I have to log in again. This was the case on the old board as well. I don't have a solution as I've tested every combination of cookie settings possible, and anything but the default breaks things quickly and obviously. So I think we'll just have to live with this for the time being.

Posted: 2011-03-26, 9:56 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
From my testing, it appears that automatic login does not work properly under Firefox 4. I have to log in again every day. It's clearly a Firefox problem (which a Google search seems to confirm) and nothing to do with Ignatz. I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.

In the meantime, Safari seems to work fine (or at least, much better) so that's what I'm using now.

Posted: 2011-03-27, 4:20 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Same with Internet Explorer 8.
Re: Can't log in? Read this.
Posted: 2011-03-27, 2:15 pm

potlover
So far everything seems to work fine with both Firefox 4 and Chromium latest release, so probably everything would work on Chrome too. A brand new clean installation, not an upgrading, gave me no problem at all.

Posted: 2011-03-27, 8:56 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
potlover wrote:
A brand new clean installation, not an upgrading, gave me no problem at all.

Thanks, I think this might be the key somehow. Clearing all cookies and the cache would probably have the same effect I'm guessing. It's better if people can search and just isolate any cookies matching "ignatzmice" but some browsers make this easier to do than others. The "Delete all board cookies" thing may or may not get enough of them, I really don't know.

Re: IE 8, it's working for me today, but Safari logged me out! So I'm not sure what's going on. I think partly I might be causing the problem for myself by logging in with the same username from multiple browsers at the same time... maybe that screws things up on the back end somehow. When I tested in past (different login used for each browser), I'd stay logged in much longer...

Thanks guys. Anyone having the problem, just log out, try to get rid of all your ignatz cookies and everything in the cache, then restart your browser and try again (I'm gonna try this with FF4 today and see how it goes). That's the only thing I can suggest, since changing things on the back end is not an option. I have the default settings for cookies (which means this should work the same on probably 90% of phpBB3 boards around the world) and anything else causes problems, makes it hard to log in at all and breaks integration with the CMS (content management system, i.e. the thing that runs the main page). So I'm pretty sure the current settings are right... or, at least, as correct as they can be for the time being. Depending on how you tend to log in (i.e. from the forum or from the main page), some bugs in the CMS forum integration could also be contributing I guess. The CMS will be upgraded in time, though I have no way of knowing whether that'll help.

Bluto

Posted: 2011-05-04, 6:11 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I found another one.

Using Firefox, my browser would not allow me to log in even after clearing cookies and history.
I finally realized what the problem was when I noticed my autofill changing one letter of my login a fraction of a second before the login was submitted, resulting in a rejection every time. The action that I observed was that the login prompt would return, blank, and no error message was displayed.

The problem was this:
I had two copies of my login info stored in my password file. One version used the name Dogsafire (with a password appropriate for a different site) and the other version had DogsAfire (with the correct password for this site). When I attempted to login to ignatzmice, the browser would autofill Dogsafire along with the incorrect password. The autofill offered DogsAfire as a selection, but if I chose it, it would fill in Dogsafire. Similarly, if I changed the login name to DogsAfire and corrected the password, Firefox would change it back to Dogsafire just before sending it to ignatzmice which, of course, rejected the incorrect information.

Fix:
In the Firefox menu, choose Tools | Options
Click on the security tab
Click on the Saved Passwords... button
Look through the list for the site that you are having trouble with and delete it

The list is alphabetical, based on whatever follows http:// or www. or whatever.

The site now logs me in correctly

the dogs
Posted: 2011-05-10, 4:32 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Thanks Dogs, great info for anyone running Firefox! The new version does seem to be problematic... I got an email from a guy who couldn't access "The Girls" (he'd get logged out, I think) with Firefox, but it worked in IE. NO clue what that's about! So I guess if anyone's having problems with Firefox and has tried all the suggestions here, including yours, then I can only recommend trying another browser!

Posted: 2011-07-21, 9:13 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
I upgraded the board to the latest version of phpBB tonight. I am wondering if this version might resolve the issues some of you were having with persistent login (i.e. having to log in every visit even though you have the "log me in automatically" box checked). If so, I'd be interested to hear about it.

Posted: 2011-07-22, 5:08 am

BoneJockeyPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
I still have to log in every other visit.
Posted: 2011-07-22, 10:11 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
BoneJockey wrote:
I still have to log in every other visit.

Well, that sucks.

I'm out of ideas. If trying a different browser and/or implementing the other suggestions posted here doesn't do anything, then I really don't know.

[ 18 posts ] 

Jump to: