Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Changing Username
Posted: 2012-08-25, 8:11 pm

molby
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Is it possible to change my username?...(i've tried but being pretty useless on a pc cant figure out how to do it) like an idiot i chose a username that i could possibly be recognised from and therefore would like to change it....or will i just have to open a new account? Thanks in advance
Re: Changing Username
Posted: 2012-08-25, 8:49 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
It's no problem at all but I'll have to do it for you. Check your PM.

Posted: 2012-08-26, 5:43 am

deadheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I might point out that while the username on any posts you've made will change when Bluto changes it, if anyone has used your original username or quoted you in the body of the message, that's still going to be there. While technically possible to change that, it's extremely difficult to do.
Re: Changing Username
Posted: 2012-08-26, 6:15 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
deadhead wrote:
I might point out that while the username on any posts you've made will change when Bluto changes it, if anyone has used your original username or quoted you in the body of the message, that's still going to be there. While technically possible to change that, it's extremely difficult to do.

Yeah, it depends... if a user has been here for a long time, there are usually tons of posts with his name quoted or just used in the body of the post. So yeah, it's a pain in the ass to do... just time consuming is all, editing each post one by one. In this case, there was only one post that quoted the OP's old name, so I just edited it and he's all set.

In your case, there are 97 posts mentioning your old name. I guess you'd prefer that not be the case so what I did is use the board's word substitution feature... didn't think to do it before. So your old name gets changed to your new name on the fly (i.e. I don't have to edit the posts!) This also means you can't actually type your old name in a PM because it'll just get changed to the new one when you send it (or rather, when the board script displays it for you), but I don't imagine this will be too much of a problem, right? It's not exactly a common "word" so I don't mind adding it to the filter. Try searching for it now, you shouldn't find anything (all the same posts come up, but with the word changed).

EDIT: Woops... just went through and edited 3 or 4 posts where someone put "--" after your name without a space, which means it missed the filter. All set now, I think.

N.B. I know deadhead; we met a few times when I lived in the states. I'm not doing this crap for everyone! :D Simple username changes never a problem though.

Posted: 2012-08-29, 5:20 am

deadheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
What a guy. Thanks alot.
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: