Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Why are trip reports only for Amsterdam ?
Posted: 2012-09-28, 1:32 am

deadheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Everyone does it (I think) but shouldn't trip reports be for wherever ? I put my trip report stuff for Prague and Germany in the Other Cities section and then flip back to the trip report section for my time in Amsterdam.

If we want to keep them separate for some reason, should there be a Trip Reports for Amsterdam and another for Trip Reports - Other ?

EDIT - Guess it say - Tales of your life and times in Amsterdam and it is in the Netherlands section. Should there be another Trip Reports category.
Re: Why are trip reports only for Amsterdam ?
Posted: 2012-09-28, 1:19 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Yeah, it's true that the way it's organised now doesn't make complete sense. I think the way it used to be, we just had two forums, Amsterdam and everything else, and trip reports were just posted in those forums, which made them harder to find. So at some point, axxxtw created the "Trip Reports" forum, for Amsterdam. In past, I guess new forums have been born of clutter in existing forums. We have lots of Amsterdam trip reports, for example, but hardly anyone writes about Asia or South America, so do we really need a trip reports forum for Other Cities::World?

I also think that the previous administration/mods did not encourage posts about anything other than Amsterdam. There was even a thing in the terms of use about "off-topic" posts being allowed, sparingly and at their discretion. Obviously, I removed that, since I want people to feel free to write about all their travels here. But it probably at least partly explains why there's only the one trip reports forum.

Anyway, if we wanted to be consistent about it, we could use subforums and it would look like this:

Board with "trip reports" subforums for each section
    inline image

Amsterdam forum topic listing page with subforum link at top
    inline image

deadhead wrote:
Everyone does it (I think) but shouldn't trip reports be for wherever ?

I know what you mean but I also still want all the reports categorised geographically, given the fact that we have a decent amount of posts about other cities now.

When I went to Amsterdam and then Frankfurt, I started my report in "Trip Reports," then at the end posted a link to the next part of the trip in "Other Cities::Europe" in order to preserve continuity. It's not a perfect solution but I think better than the alternatives... at least I can't think of a better way.

I just cringe at the idea of adding additional forums (I've already been told we have enough, by different people) that aren't going to be used. How many trip reports do you think I can find for Other Cities::World or Other Cities::NL? We'd probably have a subforum with under 10 posts. Also, does anyone think that making the Amsterdam trip reports section a subforum buries it a little bit? Look at the screenshots above. People work hard on those reports and I just wonder if putting them into a subforum would make them less prominent.

I know it's not perfect or 100% consistent, but I'm a little hesitant to make any changes right now. I just can't think of a better way at the moment but I'm happy to hear suggestions. Does anyone actually like the setup with a "Trip Reports" subforum for each area/region forum?

Posted: 2012-09-29, 5:09 am

deadheadSupporting Member
Supporting Member
All I was thinking of was to put a trip reports topic into Global. Nothing more complicated than that. That makes most sense to me, but what do I know. It would certainly get enough traffic (Fred would fill it up by himself).

As I understand it, trip reports require you to be logged in, while other sections do not. If you want only members to read trip reports, then that would make it consistent.

I'd have to check but I think I put my Alkmaar and Den Haag (and maybe even my Goldentime visit) report in the Amsterdam trip report. My Prague and Frankfurt reports went into Other Cities :: Europe, as did yours.
Re: Why are trip reports only for Amsterdam ?
Posted: 2012-09-29, 12:18 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
deadhead wrote:
I'd have to check but I think I put my Alkmaar and Den Haag (and maybe even my Goldentime visit) report in the Amsterdam trip report. My Prague and Frankfurt reports went into Other Cities :: Europe, as did yours.

It's no big deal either way; I have bigger things to worry about! :)

So you're saying, have a single trip reports forum for Amsterdam & Netherlands (so move reports about Alkmaar etc to there, together with the Amsterdam stuff) and then do the same thing for the Global section, right? I think maybe I misunderstood before. I'm not sure I'm ready to make any changes at the moment but yeah, the inconsistency can be a bit confusing, especially for a new user I guess.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

[ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: