Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 18 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Polls
Posted: 2014-01-25, 5:31 pm

loolz Power Kat
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Is it possible for users to post polls on this forum?
Re: Polls
Posted: 2014-01-25, 6:08 pm

ThirstyTraveller
I don't think it is loolz. :( could be wrong though.

It would definitely make the "Top 10 Listed girls" much more simple, instead of the current system which is quite enigmatic to me lol!

And we could have polls like - Who has the biggest nipples? Or - Who has the tightest bumhole? etc.

It certainly would be good for this site IMO.

Cheers!

Posted: 2014-01-25, 6:13 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:
Is it possible for users to post polls on this forum?

No, I have restricted it to moderators only.

My main concern is new users, most of whom will never write anything worth reading. Allowing them to create polls would only increase the number of lazy, inane postings here. It's a very small percentage of the userbase that actually treats the site with respect, uses the search function before asking questions, writes subject lines relevant to the post content, and generally refrains from posting idiotic shit. I don't want to grant the unwashed masses the ability to create polls here, further cluttering the site with worthless nonsense.

It might be possible to allow users with, say, 500+ (or whatever) posts to create polls. I feel like that could address the problem I mentioned without being overly restrictive to everyone. Maybe. It also might be a pain in the ass in terms of managing the permissions; if I have to manually add users to the allowed list (which I think is probably the case, but I'll check), I'm not doing it.

Posted: 2014-01-25, 7:53 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
ThirstyTraveller wrote:
It would definitely make the "Top 10 Listed girls" much more simple, instead of the current system which is quite enigmatic to me lol!

I don't know if we could use the poll function to make this any simpler. Remember, people compile their own list of girls (the only requirement being that they currently work in a window in Amsterdam, or did during the poll year) rather than selecting entries from a list we provide.

ThirstyTraveller wrote:
And we could have polls like - Who has the biggest nipples? Or - Who has the tightest bumhole? etc.

Feel free to suggest polls like this!

By the way, I don't mean to insult the good users on the site. But I'm sure many will agree that there is a lot of crap posted by newer/low post count users. I'm still considering the options here. Suggestions welcome.

Posted: 2014-01-25, 8:11 pm

loolz Power Kat
I wasn't really thinking about the top 10, it wouldn't work well for that (the poll would require an option for every girl lol).

But more about random questions about visits, girls, sessions, etc that could maybe initiate some discussion on this rather quiet and repetitive forum. Like your examples thirsty, but not quite as stupid :D

Quote:
No, I have restricted it to moderators only.

Oh :(

Yeah, I agree new users shouldn't be allowed to post them but others should. The minimum post count restriction sounds like the best idea and I remember seeing a similar thing on another forum; surely the forum software could deal with that? 500 posts is too much though, less than 50 members have that post count here and most of them probably don't even visit the site anymore, besides it takes years to build up such a post count. Maybe something like 100 would be better?

Quote:
if I have to manually add users to the allowed list (which I think is probably the case, but I'll check), I'm not doing it.

Pfff, forum moderators these days... so lazy...

:P
Posted: 2014-01-25, 8:30 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:
But more about random questions about visits, girls, sessions, etc that could maybe initiate some discussion on this rather quiet and repetitive forum.

Yeah, I see what you mean. We can try it. Things are quiet here, that's true. I'm not sure that's due to anything in particular with the forum or just the changes Amsterdam has seen in recent years.

loolz wrote:
Like your examples thirsty, but not quite as stupid :D

The moderators reserve the right to veto any polls. :-)

loolz wrote:
less than 50 members have that post count here and most of them probably don't even visit the site anymore, besides it takes years to build up such a post count. Maybe something like 100 would be better?

Yeah, 500 is too high, you're right. I'll figure out a better number and, if my "lazy" forum admin/webmaster/sales dept/developer/server/security admin ass can find a way to automate this easily, we'll give it a try. ;-)

Posted: 2014-01-25, 8:43 pm

loolz Power Kat
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:
Yeah, 500 is too high, you're right. I'll figure out a better number and, if my "lazy" forum admin/webmaster/sales dept/developer/server/security admin ass can find a way to automate this easily, we'll give it a try. ;-)

Nice one, let us know if/when you work it out so I can start spamming the forum with polls :P

Also, something else I noticed - this is the only forum I have seen that doesn't have smileys. I'm not suggesting you add them, in fact it feels a little 'cleaner' without them, just curious why they are not here.
Posted: 2014-01-25, 8:56 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:
Also, something else I noticed - this is the only forum I have seen that doesn't have smileys. I'm not suggesting you add them, in fact it feels a little 'cleaner' without them, just curious why they are not here.

You hit on the main reason. The forum didn't have smilies when I took over as admin in 2010. I thought it had a nice, clean look to it. Sort of sleek and minimalist. I guess I appreciate this because I spent many years reading email and newsgroups using Unix command line programs (and still do); to me, email and discussion forums are still basically a text-only medium, at least in my antiquated mind. :-) I prefer the text emoticons to images, but that's me.
Also, the smilies that ship with phpBB don't work against a dark background. I did play around with it when I did the phpBB3 upgrade years ago and decided to leave things as is. Interested to hear what others think on this subject. I know we're unusual in not having smilies (and I'm sure I could find a set that would work if I looked) but I don't really think they're needed. Just my opinion.

Nice, sig... haha. I'm only #3? :-( I need to start working out....

Posted: 2014-01-25, 9:30 pm

loolz Power Kat
Okay, thanks for the explanation. It's fine the way it is, I prefer stuff to be minimal as well :)

Quote:
I'm only #3? :-( I need to start working out....

Yep that, plus too much silicone and a rushed service. You have the potential to reach number 1; forum poll functionality might be the key :D

Also, about the quietness of this forum, I also wonder what the reason is. It looks like the forum was much busier a few years ago (by going back some pages in the different sections). Now it just seems to be a million posts about couples meet ups and girl information requests. The general chat section on the dutch website has a lot of activity and many interesting topics but trying to read them using web translation is just horrible :\
Posted: 2014-01-26, 2:30 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:
It looks like the forum was much busier a few years ago (by going back some pages in the different sections). Now it just seems to be a million posts about couples meet ups and girl information requests.

The couples posts go in their own forum now, which I don't read. I don't even consider it part of the site. It exists as an unmoderated garbage dump to keep irrelevant crap out of our real forums. This isn't a swingers site but I can't seem to make those types go away, so I figured give them their own little forum in which to post pointless crap that the real users don't have to read. I would say just ignore it. Unless you're reading it deliberately for some reason, I don't see why the site would seem this way to you. Just saying, not sure what more I can do here...

Posted: 2014-01-26, 6:27 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
It's not possible to automatically allow users to start polls based on a minimum post count. Only way is to create a group and administer it manually, which I refuse to do. In other words, this isn't happening. Probably for the best anyway... I don't know another forum that allows users to start random polls and I don't see it adding anything to the site.

Guys, bottom line, the technical side of this website is a one man operation and, while you're welcome to make suggestions, it's unlikely any of them will be implemented any time soon, to be perfectly honest. I just don't have the time right now and, basically, everything that is easy to do and that I thought would add something to the site has already been done. Just about everything else falls into the "pain in the ass that I don't have time to even think about right now" category. But still, keep the suggestions coming. I do have some plans for the future and can always use user input.

Posted: 2014-01-26, 12:36 pm

ThirstyTraveller
Quote:
I don't know if we could use the poll function to make this any simpler. Remember, people compile their own list of girls (the only requirement being that they currently work in a window in Amsterdam, or did during the poll year) rather than selecting entries from a list we provide.

Yeah my idea is not that great really is it? It would have to include every girl and that would be a ridiculously long poll lol.

I can't believe I'm your number 1 loolz! How very homosexual of you :D But if you think I'm swapping Agnieshka for a bit of loolz love, then think again! :P

Quote:
Nice, sig... haha. I'm only #3? :-( I need to start working out....

I'm pretty sure if loolz saw me I would be straight off the top spot....Think of an anorexic Jesus..thats me!! XD

Cheers!

Posted: 2014-01-26, 1:18 pm

loolz Power Kat
Quote:
Just saying, not sure what more I can do here...

It must just be the way I read the site, I use the 'view new posts' button and those posts always seem to be in the results... I don't want you to do anything :)

Quote:
It's not possible to automatically allow users to start polls based on a minimum post count. Only way is to create a group and administer it manually, which I refuse to do. In other words, this isn't happening. Probably for the best anyway... I don't know another forum that allows users to start random polls and I don't see it adding anything to the site.

Guys, bottom line, the technical side of this website is a one man operation and, while you're welcome to make suggestions, it's unlikely any of them will be implemented any time soon, to be perfectly honest. I just don't have the time right now and, basically, everything that is easy to do and that I thought would add something to the site has already been done. Just about everything else falls into the "pain in the ass that I don't have time to even think about right now" category. But still, keep the suggestions coming. I do have some plans for the future and can always use user input.

Okay, no worries. I thought it might of been a case of a forum admin ticking some boxes but I guess forum software isn't as user friendly as that :P Thanks for listening anyway.
Posted: 2014-01-26, 1:45 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:
It must just be the way I read the site, I use the 'view new posts' button and those posts always seem to be in the results... I don't want you to do anything :)

Oh, yeah. I can't help that (not unless I remove "couples/swingers" from the search index entirely, which is possible...)

loolz wrote:
Okay, no worries. I thought it might of been a case of a forum admin ticking some boxes but I guess forum software isn't as user friendly as that :P Thanks for listening anyway.

Trouble is, there are only so many combinations of different boxes to handle a limited number of situations. Also, there is no way to automatically promote a user to a group I create when they hit a certain number of posts. That's something I would have to develop on top of phpBB (and I have added a lot of custom code behind the scenes already... anti-spam and so forth), which is possible but I would need the time to do it, which I don't have right now. It's not the most feature-rich bulletin board solution but it's free and meets most of our needs fairly well, I think.

Posted: 2014-01-26, 1:52 pm

loolz Power Kat
ThirstyTraveller wrote:
I can't believe I'm your number 1 loolz! How very homosexual of you :D But if you think I'm swapping Agnieshka for a bit of loolz love, then think again! :P

:(

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if loolz saw me I would be straight off the top spot....Think of an anorexic Jesus..thats me!! XD

lol!! Btw I don't recommend you type that phrase into google images xD
Posted: 2014-01-26, 2:22 pm

ThirstyTraveller
Quote:
lol!! Btw I don't recommend you type that phrase into google images xD

Already did......and fapped! :D

Posted: 2014-01-31, 6:14 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
loolz wrote:

Hey Loolz, this was annoying me too so I made a quick edit to the code to exclude the couples/swingers and meet-up forums from the "unanswered," "unread," "new" posts and "active topics" links. There should be less irrelevant crap in the results now if you're still browsing the site this way. Hope this helps.

I also made the couples/swingers forum invisible to guests. I'm not trying to encourage people to register for the purpose of using that forum. The less of them here, the better. This is a mongering site, not a swingers site. I mean, I wish I could get them all to fuck off to some other site entirely. If I don't put the forum there for them, then they pollute the real forums (and they do that anyway... at least banning accounts is just a simple couple of clicks though.)

Posted: 2014-01-31, 7:07 pm

loolz Power Kat
BlutoBlutarsky wrote:
Hey Loolz, this was annoying me too so I made a quick edit to the code to exclude the couples/swingers and meet-up forums from the "unanswered," "unread," "new" posts and "active topics" links. There should be less irrelevant crap in the results now if you're still browsing the site this way. Hope this helps.

Brilliant, thanks Bluto, it helps and will make things more pleasant. :)

Quote:
The less of them here, the better. This is a mongering site, not a swingers site. I mean, I wish I could get them all to fuck off to some other site entirely. If I don't put the forum there for them, then they pollute the real forums (and they do that anyway... at least banning accounts is just a simple couple of clicks though.)

Haha yeah, you would think there are plenty of other sites for that kind of thing. I didn't know swinging was so common until the spam started here and it's always the same posts: "Hi, we are mr. and mrs. blah in our 40's and we want to experiment with other couples teehee" which I usually interpret as "We are bored as hell of each other and need others to spice up our sex life." xD
 [ 18 posts ] 

Jump to: