Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 164 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: its no toke!!
Posted: 2011-05-31, 12:49 am

block
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hey Neuro Very well put.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2011-05-31, 6:44 am

Carice Liefde Power Kat
As I am really not a regular smoker, but only a time-to-time smoker if not a non smoker at all, I can't really say I feel concerned, but I can figure out that a lot of people would be seriously annoyed about that. I can understand that some tourists behaviours tend to piss off the conservative party, but the question is also focused on nationalities and we live in the same european area, with a very particular situation which includes a liberal system that has widely been recognized to be an open-minded one by a lot of people during the last decades. I do understand why the government wants to struggle against drugs traffics, but I'm not sure it's the good solution, I'm not certain for example that the quality of weed will not be cut with suspicious products. The more is legal and controlled the best the quality can be offered for the consumers (they talking about health care issues and they're probably right about it, stopping or at least diminishing undergound- so illegal- activities). I'm on the same way though about the distance between a coffee and a school. Being visible doesn't necessarily means to be accessible, even if the access is strictly reserved to the people above 18 years old. The rest is I think all about education, self-behaviour (not acting in a foreign country as some act as they are at their home with some of the worst parts, respect culture and a lot of little things), common sense. I'm not going to Amsterdam to put my dirty shoes on the carpet or behave like a dumbass. Amsterdam Mayor is apparently sceptical about the possibility to refrain the sale of cannabis/weed to foreign people (ie non residents). I guess it would have serious repercussions about Amsterdam and Netherlands economy, all in all.

It just something quite surreal from my point of view to go in a coffeeshop to smoke weed or just drink a tea (as it often happened to me accompagnying a relative) without having the feeling to be guilty or being ashamed of, when it's forbidden in a lot of other places around the world. Sellers were generally very welcoming in these places, the very cute and tall redhead of Jolly Joker in particular. How cool was the idea to sit on a bench, feel the breeze a after a smoke or a drink and chill out for a few minutes before walking on the canals. I'm writing all this like it was past. But things will be acted soon, so decision is not in our hands. I'm not sure Van Gogh Museum and canals will be enough to keep Amsterdam's tourism vivid if it's adopted. I have never seen a commercial or a promotion campaign about Amsterdam. Never. Not in Paris, not even in other big cities in France, while publicity for Tunisia, Morocco and other countries of North Africa, Maghreb are blooming again after the revolutions. Nevertheless it was already the case before it happened and it still. Not my idea at all to spit on it or saying it's not fair. But it's very surprising, as Amsterdam not always been well-known only for the weed and prostitutes.

I do understand, as many others probably, George's point of view. But I do feel sad for JG or Doc who had such great sessions with Brittany (I'm sure I'm not writing correctly her stagename, but she did a witty remak about that, lol) who is one of these girls that allows to smoke in her room . :-)

To be continued...

Cheers.
Posted: 2011-06-01, 5:21 am

tiller
george47 wrote:
Now on dutchnews.nl- http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... come_p.php

As a non drug user my concern is that no drugs = less tourists = less clients for the girls = less girls for me!

I am pleased to have booked a trip in July to stimulate the economy before the clampdown. LOL
Tourists Face Weed Ban In Dutch Coffee Shops
Posted: 2011-06-02, 2:03 pm

down
Tourists Face Weed Ban In Dutch Coffee Shops
http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/World- ... %20e_Shops

Posted: 2011-06-02, 2:08 pm

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I didn't see anything new in the article - did I miss something?
Posted: 2011-06-02, 9:34 pm

AMSBIKER
Interesting article ( not that support the Daily Mail
You understand ), looking at what may happen..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... chdog.html

AB

Posted: 2011-06-02, 9:47 pm

mrpercy
"Amsterdam, home to about 220 coffee shops, is already in the process of closing some in its red light district"

Anybody know if this quote, taken from one of the links above is correct? If so which coffeeshops are the ones affected?

This can`t happen!! Will they not let us have any fun!!??
Posted: 2011-06-02, 11:29 pm

george47 Power Kat
tiller wrote:
george47 wrote:
Now on dutchnews.nl- http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2 ... come_p.php

As a non drug user my concern is that no drugs = less tourists = less clients for the girls = less girls for me!

I am pleased to have booked a trip in July to stimulate the economy before the clampdown. LOL

Much appreciated!
Posted: 2011-06-05, 4:04 pm

jgramos Moderator
Sorry for my recent time absent from the board, things have been crazy!! It may be a week or so before I'm back on board properly, as I'm going to be in Amsterdam for several days - then I'll have work to catch up on.

Anyway, this whole pass system had been discussed several times in the past, and it's still basically what they originally were planning......I spoke to several budtenders who didn't expect it to be imposed in Amsterdam. However, I will get around a number of coffeeshops in my upcoming trip, and find out whatever I can and post it here when I get back.

Hopefully it'll be positive! ;-)

Peace

Posted: 2011-06-05, 9:26 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
If tourists are effectively banned from the coffee shops they know they can expect a flood of shady dealers repopulating the RLD (and perhaps other areas) going "smoke smoke...smoke smoke..." What might sound good to some as a national plan will probably be viewed locally as a terrible idea.

Posted: 2011-06-06, 8:11 am

Aardvark
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siTJKnvX ... ata_player

This video on YouTube is very interesting. I'm not sure how recent the interviews are but the video was uploaded on 05 June 2011 and has interviews with Franco of Greenhouse Coffeeshop and Ludo of Paradox Coffeeshop. They do not seem to thing the closing of Coffeeshops to tourists is realistic or that it will be happening soon.
Posted: 2011-06-08, 4:43 am

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
CNN has an article today:

http://edition.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/06/0 ... ?hpt=hp_t2

Quote:
Under the current plan, the measure will go into effect this year in the southern part of the country, and then for the rest of the country in 2012.

The city of Amsterdam, including its mayor, has vowed to fight the measure.

"The Dutch government has decided upon this for the whole of the Netherlands. Amsterdam doesn't want it," said Machteld Ligtvoet, a spokeswoman for the Amsterdam Tourism & Convention Board.

Quote:
Twenty-three percent of Amsterdam tourists say they visit coffee shops during their stays, according to the Amsterdam Tourism & Convention Board. "These tourists are an important (though not most important) economic factor of Amsterdam."

Posted: 2011-06-08, 1:33 pm

PlayItAgainSamSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Say what you will about the Dutch, but they're economic masters. After all, the invented banking. You can bet that if 23% of Amsterdam's toursists come for the weed, they realize full well that this could mean a 23% drop in tourism, and thats not peanuts.

Sam
Posted: 2011-06-12, 8:04 am

Silverback
I too will be hastily booking a Dam trip for July.

With the Government's planned changes, I doubt I'll go again in the near future if this does come to pass.

If it does, I can't see it being permanent. And if it is, well, at least I experienced Amsterdam as it once was.

Either way, I'm treating this trip as possibly my last.

Onto brighter shores, I guess...

Posted: 2011-06-12, 8:16 pm

dam86
If this ban does come into effect i will be gutted!! I love travelling to Amsterdam from the UK on my own for a bit of "me" time. I try to go every 3 months to enjoy the smoke and the ladies. I dont think the ban would put me off visiting as I love the city - but it wont be the same without enjoying some quality weed.

Will there be any ways for a tourist like myself to "get around" this ban?? Does anyone think that some coffeeshops may ignore the ban or is it likely to be heavily policed?

I am trying my best to make friends who actually live in the Dam so when I visit I dont have to spend the whole time on my own but as yet have had no luck :-( If there is anyone on this board please PM me :-)

Regards
Posted: 2011-06-12, 10:55 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
My prediction: if the ban goes into effect you will still have relatively easy access to weed. But you will have to buy it from street dealers in the RLD, there won't be nearly the selection, there will be some ripoffs, and the price will double.

Posted: 2011-06-13, 4:04 pm

straton
you think the government can send again new police forces to check in th RLD for black market scenarios?

i guess in amsterdam will never be applied.

the main reason they have closed and restricted the ones at the border, is to discourage travellers from france to cross belgium and arrive to the border. this is what they want to fight.

They already said that the law will be applied in accordance with cityes courtyhall, and Amterdam does not want it...

this is also what i was told during my last trip in may, from the tender of bulldog in spuistraat.
Posted: 2011-06-14, 6:55 am

Silverback
I'd like to hear from those who have visited Dam in June 2011...

I hope to go in July. I'll let y'all know if I see anything other than the norm.

Posted: 2011-06-20, 4:11 am

spanner
I was just there from June 7th to the 17th.I heard conflicting information on the subject.My wifes has family over there.When they came to Amsterdam to vist us we discussed this issue.I was basically told that it's pretty much a done deal for the border towns.However, my wifes cousin was saying there are not enough coffee shops in these smaller towns to house all the people who would want to get this private pass.Hense he said they would have a need for more coffee shops.

Seeing I always rent an apartment along with bikes we talked with our land lady & she told us for the more tourist cities such as Amsterdam there are to many council members who strongly oppose this new law.No one there see's this taking or being put into effect especially in Amsterdam.However, she did mention that if for any reason this became true for Amsterdam that she knows her customers who rent from her & would get a pass just so the people who stayed would have access to weed if need be.We also talked with a couple friends we meet up with every year & they also said they can not see it taking effect in Amsterdam.

Every coffee shop we walked passed & entered was jammed packed.I would say about 85 percent or greater were tourist.I said to my wife there would be a fair amount of tax tourist dollars lost if this takes effect in Amsterdam.Should of asked in the coffee shops, seeing the ones we entered were really busy it did not seem like the time or place to ask.

This was the best I could gather, so only time will tell........

The funny thing I need to mention, I thought back a couple years ago the Dutch put into effect a tobacco smoking ban.Almost every bar I went into people were smoking inside after a certain time.I went to a local pub & the big front window was open & people were going outside to smoke no one was smoking inside.Than 11pm rolled along we were no longer able to drink outside as they shut the big front window handed out ash trays & everyone started smoking inside.It was craking me up.......
Posted: 2011-06-20, 6:34 am

Silverback
Yeah well remembered, spanner.

I too thought the whole tobacco law would fuck things up for the Dam.

Still, I smoke joints and have never been asked to go outside while in a coffeeshop.

Guess they found grey areas to by-pass this law.

Or just no-one enforces it.

Good times.

[ 164 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

Jump to: