Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 1 post ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
PNW trip last year
Posted: 2017-06-18, 5:01 pm

HighClouds
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
My apologies for not finding the right place to post this, but it occurred to me while responding to another post that this may be of some interest. If the post needs to be moved, moderators, please feel free.

Being on the threshold, as it were, I'm sure more than a few of us east coasters have checked out - or wanted to check out - the weed scene in the legal states. I did just that last year, and got to spend some time in Portland. My hotel was by the airport, which was good because not only was it less than a 10 minute walk to the light rail terminus, but also right next to the bridge to Vancouver, or should I say, The Couve (as they say, Vancouver - not BC, Washington - not DC).

Without going into typical travelog mode, suffice it to say that I really and truly fell in love with the Portland area. It was heartening for me to see the honor system being upheld in the light rail and streetcar systems - not to mention all day public transportation for 5 bucks! If Portland can do it, why can't we do that everywhere else in America? Oh well....thats another discussion. Friendlier people I have rarely come across.

OK..on to the important stuff. I guess the Portland scene was just barely developing last year, so while it was nice to see "dispensaries" all over, I was a little underwhelmed by the size and selection - its possible I missed the best places. On the other hand, The Couve was a whole nuther kettle of fish. I went to at least three places that looked like large 7-11s (ok, I may be exaggerating a bit) and realized that these people have left Amsterdam just about in the dust.

Interestingly enough nobody would ask for my ID - all I had to do was lift my baseball hat and let them get a glimpse of my almost completely disappearing hair! Seriously, though, the selection was mind boggling. And it was not just the selection, but the packaging and information that went along with it. As a very frequent visitor to Amsterdam in the past, I was astonished to see how rapidly the scene had established itself in such a solid manner.

The selection was not limited to strains of herb - although there was a ton of variety there too. It was the selection of edibles, drinkables, vape pens - holy mackerel! Not to mention the nicest people working there. All weed cleanly packaged and labeled, complete with weights, grower names, strength and lots of other stuff. Of course, the big problem being, where do you use this stuff? Therein lies one big problem if you don't live there. The other problem, of course, is the need to drive everywhere - like most of America - but within the confines of the Portland metro area, that was not a problem.

In addition to all that, I really thought The Couve was a very nice - albeit quiet - place. I could live there for sure, and I'm thinking about a condo hunting trip there soon.

As a result, I stuck mainly to edibles, the one exception being a disposable vape pen with Super Silver Haze concentrate - 35 bucks got you a pen with supposedly 75 hits, give or take. Edibles wise, I tried a bag of cookies (if I remember right, you get 3 or 4 small ones), hard candy, gummies and a strip of capsules - in sealed bags, with attractive designs and all. They were all amazingly potent and consistent - you could titrate your doses very well with the labeling, even across brands. All in all, this makes the Amsterdam scene look like an amateur cottage industry. All these were so perfect for falling asleep at night. After just a little experimentation, I found 20 mg to be my perfect dose - at night right after dinner, a little bit of TV, and a long, delightful, deep sleep.

During the day, I would walk to the light rail station and do a few quick hits from the pen during the walk. I could immediately sense my all time favorite strain coming on. What a great way to see this wonderful town. I won't even go into the awesomeness of getting a Stumptown coffee and heading to Voodoo Donuts, indulging in the munchies in any number of food trucks....

Believe me, I still love Amsterdam and its weed scene, but now I'd say that Amsterdam's other attributes will play a much larger role when I visit, because in all honesty, its just a whole lot easier to go west for weed - and now with Cali joining the fray, man, no need to leave home!

HC
 [ 1 post ] 

Jump to: