Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Quality space cake/brownies?
Posted: 2017-06-11, 3:07 pm

Licentious
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi!

Last time we were in Amsterdam we decided to try some space cake from Kandinsky. It wasn't on their menu, but they did sell it. - We were cheated. We felt absolutely nothing the entire evening.

So... We'll try again. Do you know a place that really does sell space cake/brownies that does have an effect?

Cheers,
Re: Quality space cake/brownies?
Posted: 2017-06-12, 12:30 am

Eric
I agree with you, Kandinsky not so much.
420 for a light afternoon.
Like Paradox.
Utopia's a favorite - that little muffin packs a bit of a punch - and the label is a read: ... If you feel unwell, you have probably eaten too much, don't worry, you won't die, lie down, get comfortable and relax ...

Cheers,

... Eric
Posted: 2017-06-12, 8:16 pm

nyc diesel
Google "smokers guide to amsterdam." Plenty of good reviews.
Posted: 2017-06-18, 3:50 pm

HighClouds
My personal experience, albeit 4 years since my last visit, has been that Amsterdam edibles are a rip-off. After several trips in the past, the best I could do was the space muffins from Dolphins. Those warnings are a joke, ostensibly meant to get you to buy a muffin or slice of cake for 9 or 10 euros. This has been true starting from back in the day when Chocolata (remember that coffeeshop?) used to sell bon-bons for an arm and a leg that did nothing.

I used to think that it was perhaps my metabolism that prevented any effect from materializing, but then a trip to the PNW last year was delightfully eye opening. Nearly every type of edible I tried hit me hard - hard candy, gummies, cookies, even capsules, all very clearly labeled. I was even able to determine with relative accuracy that 20mg was my sweet spot.

Its probably better to stick to Amsterdam's strengths - smokables and vapables. And even that seems way better in the PNW, except there's nowhere to actually imbibe other than at home. Assuming the current political climate doesn't last too long, I'm convinced that the good ole US of A (and Canada, of course, starting next year) will easily surpass Amsterdam as the maryjane mecca. Quality wise, that may already be true - please correct me if I'm wrong.

HC
Posted: 2017-06-20, 12:55 pm

Licentious
Don't know about the weed quality in the U.S., but the haze and the quality of service at Greenhouse is one of my absolute top weed experiences ever. But, then again, in Sweden we're not really spoiled :D

I've never actually tried vaping (of any kind). What makes it different? Can any green be vaped or do I need to ask the budtender for advice?
Posted: 2017-06-20, 3:09 pm

HighClouds
Like you, I love the Greenhouse, and discovered my favorite strain (Super Silver Haze) there perhaps a couple of decades ago. My comments about the US are really only applicable to very, very recent developments - and who knows if they will last!

As for vaping, yes, you can vape any green. I'm not sure that you can vape hash, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has figured that out - I haven't done any research into that. I bet if you googled (or, to be safe, Duck-Duck-Go'd) "volcano and hash" you'll come up with interesting results! You can also vape liquids (concentrates) using a pad, but I don't believe you can even buy concentrates in Amsterdam. You'll find quite a few posts here about the ins and outs of vaping, but if I may, let me summarize a few points for you.

Firstly, if done right, there's absolutely no throat irritation, so that can never be a bad thing, right? Secondly, the effect is mildly different from smoking. The best I can do in the way of a description is that - for me - it leans more towards a cerebral high than a body stone. Other people may have different experiences.

Vaping is also dependent on the temperature and the way you pack the bowl, especially if you're using a convection vape like the Volcano that the Greenhouse keeps in house for free use. Generally speaking, the lower the temperature, the more sativa-like the effect, and conversely, the higher the temperature, the more indica-like stone you get. Bear in mind, these are generalizations.

The two other factors that I have found to be very true (for me) is that you need to grind the herb rather finely - not to powder per se, but like coarse ground coffee, if you know what I mean, maybe a touch finer(?). Secondly, and this may sound counter-intuitive, you should pack the bowl pretty tightly. I know you may think that restricts the airflow, but perhaps its because packing tightly also minimizes stuff being floated around . I really don't know what the explanation is, but it definitely bears out.

I love to vape at Amsterdam coffeeshops, and many of them keep Volcanoes - Greenhouse, Amnesia, Barney's...maybe others too that I don't usually frequent. I usually find that one Volcano bag lasts me several hours, but your mileage may vary. When you ask to use the vape, they will typically give you a bag with a mouthpiece. I strongly suggest carrying a few packs of iso wipes and wiping down the mouthpiece before use, or if you're especially germaphobic, buy your own mouthpiece and take it with you (they're not that expensive). Needless to say, get an inexpensive grinder and throw it away before you leave Amsterdam.

Read up on the best temps to set the Volcano before you go. I predict the odds are high that you will quit smoking after this.

HC
Posted: 2017-06-21, 3:42 pm

Eric
My typical day in Amsterdam consists of having a muffin or a slice of cake around high tea time (isn't that funny), vape late evening, and have a final smoke late at night (because by that time all the coffee shops are closed, but the red light night is still young). I appreciate it all; especially having a schedule - it simplifies my otherwise too complex life ;-)

... Eric
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: