Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Foreigners buying weed
Posted: 2017-04-14, 1:59 am

iamthereddragon
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Hi guys,

My friend and I are coming back to AMS next month. It's been about 8 years since we were there last. If I recall correctly, there were some discussions by the local government in AMS that only residents with a card would be able to buy weed in the future - a silly attempt to curb foreigners from buying weed - why I don't know.

I think talk of this was eventually shot down, but I just wanted to check. Is it still as easy today for Americans to buy weed as it was 8 years ago?
Re: Foreigners buying weed
Posted: 2017-04-14, 3:40 am

Eric
no worries, mate ... just as easy.

fewer coffee shops around though; finding a relaxed place to hang out that's not too crowded, isn't as easy.

... Eric
Posted: 2017-04-17, 5:37 am

officematt2002
Homeland Securoty typically arrests you on the way back home. Standard for anyone with an Amsterdam passport stamp...
Posted: 2017-04-20, 10:23 pm

Mister Mingeater
Hello,
please be advised that you will get asked for ID though, however old you look, Passport or Drivers Licence with photo does the trick.
Cheers,
Mr M

Posted: 2017-04-21, 7:15 pm

nyc diesel
Last time in Amsterdam, October 2016, I went to both highly commercial and small, local coffee shops in Amsterdam. I was never ID'd (I'm in my late 50s). Anyone could tell from my looks to my clothes that I was another fat, old American.

The only precaution I took was to smoke weed in the coffee shops or outside Vondelpark at night, where my hotel was. I only smoked hash in my room because the odor is minimal, doesn't trigger the fire/smoke alarm, plus it knocks me right out.

There are some nice places still left, albeit fewer and fewer. I think the posts here are great, and Smokers' Guide tries to keep people updated on the scene.

I'm sure I reeked of weed heading home, but the anti-"drug" fascists never bothered me.
Posted: 2017-05-09, 12:22 pm

Lucas3
officematt2002 wrote:
Homeland Securoty typically arrests you on the way back home. Standard for anyone with an Amsterdam passport stamp...

I get stopped every time, but I also have full sleeves and I am in my mid twenties.
Posted: 2017-09-08, 6:43 am

akibono
Why anyone would bring back weed to the States is beyond me. It is so available in many states. Cali, colorado, DC, oregon, washington, nevada etc.
Posted: 2017-09-09, 3:35 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
The weed pass idea died years ago- thankfully.
There are a few shops in Maastricht and Venlo near the German border that might question a non-Dutch buyer, but there have not been any rule changes in Amsterdam regarding weed.
Now, if you try to smoke tobacco indoors, you might get arrested....

Weasel

Posted: 2017-09-09, 11:56 pm

IQ
As usual Weasel has the info you need. To back him up: I've made several trips to Amsterdam in the last few years. I smoked heavily every time - in as many coffee shops as I had time to visit, in Vondelpark (discretely), and in my hotel room (blowing smoke out the window). There are fewer, but still plenty of coffee shops near Centraal, and they can get crowded. Search "coffee shop" on Google Maps and it will pinpoint many shops on the map and give reviews. The further from Centraal, the more chill they are.

Check this out: https://www.google.com/maps/search/coffee+shop/@52.3643444,4.8764919,14z

Just don't ask for weed at the Starbucks that for some reason also shows up in the results.

I've never been carded or hassled, although I have heard that may happen in some border towns that don't want weed tourism. The biggest change from earlier years is that, due to new limits about the quantities of gear that coffee shops are allowed to keep on hand, they are often sold out of some of their menu items.

Many years ago (pre-2001), once when returning from Amsterdam I was searched on re-entering the USA (and they didn't find it). Although I haven't had any other non-routine interactions with TSA, considering the heightened airport security and also the ubiquity of high-grade weed in the US, these days it would be foolish to try to fly with any.
Posted: 2017-12-21, 5:56 pm

block
Can tell ya from experience that Maastricht and Sittard shops will not sell to a non Dutch person. The one shop in Heerlen that I use will allow a non Dutch to buy and normally they ask any non Dutch to buy and move on. A couple years ago they thought I was a roadie with Paul McCartney and allowed me to sit and smoke. The Down Under shop in Kerkrade sells to anyone with a valid ID. They allow ya to smoke on the property.

Miles Davis
 [ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: