Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 7 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Anyone been to the new Baba yet?
Posted: 2017-10-18, 3:18 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Any reports? Should be a nice area. I hope they can keep a regular business going though, as they are now a bit out of the way

the dogs
Re: Anyone been to the new Baba yet?
Posted: 2017-11-05, 9:26 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
OK, so I have been there now. It wasn't as difficult to get to as I had feared. There are only a couple of ways across the water and the turns that you need to make are pretty obvious if you have some idea of where you're trying to get to. Probably half an hour total walking time from Dam Square.

Nice place in a very quiet area. Certainly not the crowd that they got on Warmoesstraat, but still a pretty steady stream of customers coming through the door. Guy was the bud tender. He remembered me from the old place and seemed genuinely happy to see me. When he wasn't busy with customers, we talked about the old place and the new, as well as the advantages and disadvantages of both.

The new Baba looks nice, though it is long and narrow as many shops are instead of the big open space they had before. There is a (tobacco) smoking room in the rear, but I left it to check out the next time I go. Being all new construction, it is all very clean. The Verdampers were still doing well. I pretty much never smoke anymore. Too hard on the lungs. On my way to Baba, I passed Barney's on Haarlemmerstraat and they had a nice array of Volcanos but I actually prefer the Verdampers now despite the lack of temperature regulation and I didn't Stop at Barney's.

I bought only a gram of their White Widow since I was going to be there only that evening and I have to admit that it was pretty good stuff. I normally go through about 1/2 a gram of medical grade weed a day at home and while it definitely has an effect, a half gram of the White Widow got me going very well and it was clear that I didn't need any more. A couple of hours later I finished off the other half of the gram at Cafe Remember. Met a film crew that was there to film a music video. One of them had a 3-D camera, an instant print (Polaroid type) camera and a film camera and he took a few pics of me in the smoking room there. Good conversation, but boy that new smoking area is small.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-13, 9:45 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
So what initially appeared to be a confusing and complicated path to get to the new Baba is actually very simple and straight forward. To get to the Baba:

1) Take any of the western canal streets to get to Haarlemmerstraat (the west sides of Singel or Herengracht, or the east sides of Keisergracht or Prinsengracht) and turn west (left) on Haarlemmerstraat.

2) Go all the way on Haarlemmer until you reach Haarlemmerplein. The street changes name to Haarlemmerdijk at Prinsengracht, but continues in the same direction. Just keep going. Haarlemmerplien's most immediately recognizable feature is a big gate with columns. There is also ground level water feature closer than the gate. At the far side of Haarlemmerplein is a large road. Do not cross the road. Turn right (north). This is the only possible path to get under the railroad tracks to Central Station in the area.

3) Go under the railroad bridge and continue straight forward. The name of this street is Planciusstraat, but it doesn't make any difference because it is the only street that will get you under the bridge from Haarlemmerplein.

4) Once past the railroad bridge, continue a sort distance until you pass over a canal. Shortly after that, the street ends in a somewhat angled T. Go right. This is Barentszstraat and is the street on which Baba is located. Go to the end of the block and look left across a triangular intersection to see the Baba red neon sign.

On the return trip, exit Baba, go across the open area, turn right and go to the end of the block where you will be able to see the street to get you across the canal (Planciusstraat).

Continue across the canal and go straight until you run into Haarlemmerplein.

Turn left (east) and follow Haarlemmer back to town. If you stay on Haarlemmer, you will end up on Nieuwendijk (at Singel). If you follow Nieuwendijk it will take you to within one block of Damrak, but there it takes a hard right and becomes a north-south street.

This is far more complicated in words than it is on the ground. The instructions really are: Go on Haarlemmer until you can't go any farther. Turn right and go straight until you can't go any farther. Turn right and go to Baba
Posted: 2017-11-13, 10:04 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
Route

Posted: 2017-11-15, 3:00 am

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks Shinken

The guy at Baba feels that the way along the water takes less time, but he says it's not very interesting. If you're more interested in scenery and shops, take Haarlemmer. In the interest of time it sounds as though the water route will be at least as good as Haarlemmer and maybe faster.

the dogs
Posted: 2017-11-15, 6:36 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Ganesha has a new home
Looking good

Ganesha2.jpg
Ganesha2.jpg [ 915.27 KiB ]
Posted: 2017-11-23, 8:33 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
This outdoor picnic table with a lacey cover is located just outside of Baba (though probably not an appropriate place to smoke). It is constructed entirely of plate steel.

Picnic Table at Baba2.jpg
Picnic Table at Baba2.jpg [ 747.06 KiB ]
 [ 7 posts ] 

Jump to: