Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Legal PNW
Posted: 2018-07-18, 6:48 pm

HighClouds
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I'm not sure whether its ok to post these observations here, or even where to post them - or whether even TO post them, a decision usually calling for far more wisdom than I am generally capable of marshaling at a given point in time, but I'll test the waters here. It covers a small range of issues, and maybe even more in your head!

Anyway, without giving too much away, I'm am currently the beneficiary of our much loved substance being legal and readily available. After the initial thrill kind of began to subside, I noticed certain preferences and behavioral patterns in myself.

First off, weighing in the favor of convenience, I've stuck with concentrate cartridges which have necessarily limited my selection. At first, I expected to be the consummate aficionado, but I really couldn't care less, except for certain effects which I can only describe in relation to what I remember having imbibed at the time. There's very little taste that I can discern, but very little smell either, so I'll take the good with the bad.

But the most disappointing of all are the strain qualities themselves. I have no doubt that the extraction processes are exactly are described, but I wonder if we have touched, if not crossed, the threshold of the generic. For example, its hard, if not impossible, to tell sativas apart; although unless you're discussing close hybrids, you can usually tell the dominant strains apart.

As always, you can tell how much one supplier spends on his packaging and, therefore, the price. And since, from what I can tell, you get the same brands everywhere - as well as online - it will be interesting to see whether the dispensary as a unit survives, and if so, based on which factors.

Maybe keeping it a cottage industry in Amsterdam is a good thing...??

HC
Re: Legal PNW
Posted: 2018-07-19, 4:58 am

IQ
To be an aficionado I would offer than you must smoke the raw herb. Otherwise, you are just imbibing to get high instead of the enjoyment of the act. Not that there’s anything wrong with just getting high, but you will not be appreciating the aesthetic pleasures of the act as much.

The qualities that distinguish one sub-strain from another will be eliminated by the time it gets to the oil cartridge for all but the “super-tasters”. The main techniques of producing oil are solvent-based or supercritical CO2. With the latter being the standard for high-quality oil. I am able to distinguish Indica from Sativa oil by the end effects, but beyond that I find little to no difference. In addition while some flavor remains it is reduced to a mild essence instead of a rich body.

The convenience of cartridges can’t be beat and I love them. That being said, to appreciate flavor and get full enjoyment there is no substitute for a pipe or a well-rolled joint.
Posted: 2018-08-12, 6:52 pm

HighClouds
You're very correct, IQ. There are definite pros and cons to using cartridges, and it s good to know that going in, I suppose. You're making what I like to think of as the classic analog vs digital argument. When you're extracting, no matter the method, you're leaving something very complex behind. We all know that an iTunes download sounds many times worse than a high end audio system playing master tapes, yet we love and use it.

In that spirit, I thought I'd give you all a very quick update. I've been here now for about two months, with one more to go - and not every minute is available for our noble pursuit - but nonetheless. So far, all I've done are vape cartridges and edibles, so I know nothing about the flower quality. So, everything I reference here is about cartridges. I'm leaving any flavor/taste issues out because you either get no flavor (as in distillates) or some added terpene derived flavors, which are not meaningful.

I've found a few Amsterdam classics, including my favorite super silver haze, various blueberry strains and northern lights. Let me start by saying that there is a noticeable difference. Granted its been a while since I was in Amsterdam to vape some quality SSH bud in a Volcano, but for us SSH fans, the high is very familiar. Here, yes, it was the same recognizable high, but something was missing. A certain diabolical nature that the SSH bud had was gone in the concentrate. Strong, yes, but I'd be hard pressed to concur with Jason King about this being the Dom Perignon of cannabis.

Still, I managed to get exposed to some new strains I'd never have heard of - many of them extremely good for what they are intended. Super sour diesel is a good example (SSH X SD), as a very well balanced sativa dominant hybrid, and a new discovery called Cinex (Cinderella99 X Vortex) as a light, cheerful buddy for whatever you do that day (particularly good for walking). One strain worthy of note, new to me although most likely not new to many here, is girl scout cookies which to me represented an almost perfect yin-yang mix, straddling the sativa-indica threshold with impunity. Nice visuals and flights of imagination, but also relaxing - hard to describe, but fantastic! And, of course, who could say anything but great things about blue dream? I found an especially sweet cartridge called Blue Dream Snoop's Cut. For those who have never tried BD, all I can say is...please do! Unfortunately, green crack left me severely underwhelmed, as did super lemon haze.

With nightfall, of course, come different needs, and as rarely as I seek out indicas, I sampled a few and really like a couple. One favorite was grape ape, which while being unquestionably indica also made me just a tad jittery. I wonder why that was the case. The other favorite is granddaddy purple, about which I have just about nothing negative to say. To say that its a powerhouse is an understatement, so if strength is your criterion, this is it. But it also relaxes your body physically in a wonderful way. I know I get sore a lot at the end of the day, and this seems to alleviate that soreness very well. You do get couchlocked though - big time. It lets you think somewhat and be imaginative, but not for too long. Your best bet is to either be close to bed, or in bed - next thing you know, you'll be waking up in the morning.

A quickie for now. Again, my apologies if it is in the wrong section, or if I shouldn't have started the thread at all, but I hope you enjoy it.

HC
Re: Legal PNW - small update
Posted: 2018-09-02, 12:59 am

HighClouds
I thought I'd put in a small update before a fog completely erases everything!

In the sativa/sativa hybrid domain, I mentioned super sour diesel the last time; which I'm continuing to enjoy. To me the best description seems to tie in the unfocused mind-bending haze high of SSH with the racy, buzzy high of sour diesel to somehow create a focused mental high - not what you would expect, but there you have it. In a similar vein, I tried out pineapple SSH, a SSH X pineapple express cross. Almost a week later, I'm still coming to grips with it. Its nothing remarkable, and seems to have no special trait to point to - and it has that annoying sativa buzz. There is an exception, though!

I stumbled about a strain called Double Dream, which is blue dream crossed back with itself and dream star. So far, it seems lighter than BD itself, with a little bit of BD's euphoric quality, but that seemed about it. I need just a little more time with it, I do believe...:)

Hybrid-wise, I had previously stated liking girl scout cookies, and found something called platinum gsc. This one I really like. To my inexperienced senses, it seems like a very nice sativa/indica balance, and is longer lasting than the others I mentioned. Another strain along similar lines is Do Si Dos, but quite honestly it didn't live up to the hype and was so nondescript that I actually chucked the cartridge when it was half full.

Which, of course, brings us back to my favorite indica so far and the aforementioned exception. As a knockout prescription, I've found nothing quite like granddaddy purple. Comes on nice and strong, no-nonsense, and then you wake up the next morning - perfect for the night time. However, my carelessness in not labeling cartridges well resulted in two that I couldn't tell apart. One was pineapple SSH and the other was GDP - but I couldn't tell which was which. Assuming that I could tell by the taste (which, I'm glad to say I did!), I tried one, then the other. A few of one, then a few of the other, I should clarify.

For some reason, when you enjoy them in that order (PSSH, then GDP), together they take you somewhere neither one could individually. I'll leave it at that!

If there is no objection, I may put in one more update in a week or so.

HC
Posted: 2018-09-02, 11:30 am

IQ
You have become a true aficionado of the cartridge. Well done! Are you in the dam? Where is your source?
Posted: 2018-11-10, 2:52 am

HighClouds
Sorry for the late response, IQ. No, I'm back east now. All my exploits were in Seattle.

HC
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: