Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 4 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Do weed names really mean anything?
Posted: 2019-06-04, 11:16 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
So do these names really mean anything? If I get strawberry haze at one shop, will it be the same as a strawberry haze from another? Do all Kush's have something in common? How are these names assigned anyway?

Posted: 2019-06-08, 10:09 pm

Eric
A rather good friend of mine is the executive procurement manager of a medical dispensary in the States. He said the name of a strain might be a hint, but nothing they can rely on for classification. I did some googling myself because the topic always gets my goat - I disdain chaos; anyway, I found written in https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/332320v1.full that "although the sampling here includes merely a fragment of the available Cannabis strains, our results give scientific merit to claims that strains can be unpredictable."

I parsed only a fraction of the whole paper from 2018, and I comprehended little other than statements in the conclusion, but what I found quite intriguing was that, "... there is no consistent genetic differentiation between the widely held perceptions of Sativa and Indica Cannabis types. Moreover, the genetic analyses do not support the reported proportions of Sativa and Indica within each strain, which is expected given the lack of genetic distinction between Sativa and Indica".

My friend added during our long discussion on the topic, that based on his observation of the experiences of others, even two strains with similar THC and CBD counts might produce noticeably different experiences; but none that are known to be classified by ratios of cannabinoid or other constituents.

At least I feel more comfortable knowing that some of the cannabis classification "bullshit" has been scientifically identified ;-)

Cheers,

... Eric
Re: Do weed names really mean anything?
Posted: 2019-06-08, 10:44 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Thanks for that! It confirms some of what I've seen as well. Today I found this which seems to be where things are going on this question:

https://www.heylocannabis.com/post/sativa-versus-indica-doesnt-matter-and-strain-names-too

Posted: 2019-06-11, 3:31 am

headsSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Names don’t mean much unless you’re buying from the same location consistently. One place’s amnesia kush is not the same as another’s. This would be a big contrast from the Denver retail market, but in Amsterdam there are a few things I would focus on:

1. Know the difference of sativa and indica and how they affect you

2. How well has the weed been cured(many don’t realize how important this is)

3. How fresh is it

In Amsterdam most menus give you an indica/sativa ratio. You should be asking to make sure the weed is dry and fresh. It should look like firm and crystally, but crumble with the pressure of your finger tips.(almost as if you don’t need a grinder). The cure is essential, improperly cured weed can be harsh on your lungs and taste bad.
 [ 4 posts ] 

Jump to: