Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Calls for EU to legalise cannabis
Posted: 2005-04-27, 10:15 pm

gezellig
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Interesting piece in today's Independent...

"The Dutch parliament is to debate marijuana policy after a cabinet minister called for the drug to be legalised across Europe. Alexander Pechtold said this would solve the problem of tourists flocking to the Netherlands to buy the drug, which is technically illegal, but openly sold in some cafes."

Go Alex!

Incidentally, any floating British voters with a liking for everyone's favourite herb should be thinking Liberal Democrats next Thursday (IMHO).

Sorry about the politics TripleX.
G~
Re: Calls for EU to legalise cannabis
Posted: 2005-04-27, 11:28 pm

STPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Hey, I possess a passport from a newly-joined EU country, as of May 1st '04. How can I vote YES! to legalize cannabis in my neck of the European woods? Please tell me! I don't want to fly all the way to Schipol anymore just to pick up my monthly stash...

ST
Posted: 2005-04-28, 6:51 am

a9g7dom
Here is a link to today's related Expatica article:

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_art ... boulevard+
Posted: 2005-04-28, 4:00 pm

DogsAfirePower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
From the article:
"...49 percent of Dutch people support the legalisation of cannabis, while one-third would prefer stricter laws. Some 63 percent are opposed to people cultivating cannabis in their home."

That seems totally odd. From the numbers it is clear that some of those who favor legalization of cannibis also oppose growing it privately. That doesn't make sense to me. To me, a good part of the reason for legalizing marijuana is to take money out of the pockets of the Bad Guys. Home cultivation would spell the end of the line for drug runners in the marijuana business.

The only explanation that I can think of is that those who favor legalization but oppose home cultivation must favor government control/cultivation of the crop.

Any other ideas?

the dogs
Posted: 2005-04-28, 8:04 pm

gezellig
I don't think even the most liberal Government would allow home growing, basically because there's no tax revenue to be had. They could tax the seeds, but that's one crop and then you'd be making your own seeds or taking cuttings for subsequent grows.

Canada tolerate a few plants for MS sufferers and that though don't they?
Posted: 2005-04-28, 10:12 pm

a9g7dom
Today's news item in Expatica:

Dutch news in brief, 28 April 2005
Donner may ease cannabis policy

Dutch Justice Minister Piet-Hein Donner is considering a proposal to exclude small-time cannabis growers from prosecution. The Justice Ministry says the time spent by police in tracking down home-growers of cannabis would be devoted to investigating more serious crimes, Radio Netherlands reported on Thursday.
Posted: 2005-04-28, 10:30 pm

popemadmitch
Actually theres a 'Legalise Cannabis Alliance' party thats standing in next months general election http://www.lca-uk.org/

They have a candidate standing in my area, although this silly past-the-post system means its pointless voting for them.
Posted: 2005-05-06, 7:28 am

paniked Power Kat
Quote:
That seems totally odd. From the numbers it is clear that some of those who favor legalization of cannibis also oppose growing it privately. That doesn't make sense to me. To me, a good part of the reason for legalizing marijuana is to take money out of the pockets of the Bad Guys. Home cultivation would spell the end of the line for drug runners in the marijuana business.

what I suspect is at work here is the broad interpretations that run through respondents minds. to some "legalization" may be taken as "giving law-breakers a free pass"; opposition to home growing may simply be an expression of the NIMBY attitude ("not in my back yard").

I found in my psychology studies that you could easily poll people on their opinion on a certain subject and if you altered the phrasing you would illicit different, contradictory responses to what was essentially the same question. besides, distilling complex, nuanced issues into simplified questions to illicit yes-no/up-down responses leaves the results open to interpretations that benefit both sides of the argument, complicating rather than clarifying matters.

one idea I thought of was to have fake (cloth/plastic) cannabis plants that "protestors" could have in their homes -- if enough people had them, it would make pursuing small-time growers so counterproductive as to perhaps induce some sensible legislation to differentiate personal from commerical growers. crazy ideas you get when you smoke too much ;)

-paniked

Posted: 2005-05-08, 8:22 pm

gezellig
Paniked, that is a actually a top idea. I have been smoking and drinking red wine though!

Unfortunately it wouldn't work for my annual patio crop. Just got to keep the neighbours sweet by not playing my music too loud to avoid them ringing the fuzz.

Rgds
G~
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: