Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Travel advice needed, Brussels to Maastricht
Posted: 2007-06-13, 9:40 pm

Gilby
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Greetings Fellow Travelers

Again I come to this forum asking for information. This time my traveling plans are different than the usual trip to Amsterdam. I will be attending the Belgium GP in September so my trip to Europe starts off at the Brussels International Airport. No plans to stay in Brussels long, I have hotel reservations in Masstricht and a little border town called Epen near the race track in Spa Belgium. The question is how to make my way from the Brussels International Airport to Masstricht. I have searched the Eur-rail website and there is multiple trains and routes that will get you to Masstricht. Should I consider taking a bus instead? What is the best way to get from point A (Brussels International Airport) to point B (Masstricht) Has anyone a recommendation?

The last two return flights from Amsterdam to the US were not a cheerful homecoming. Apparently the nice folks with Homeland Security were very interested in what activities and places I experienced while in Amsterdam. So interested were they that I got a righteous shake down from these brave “First Responders”. They went though my luggage and shaving kit. Asked detailed questions about just how many puffs of a marijuana cigarette did I inhale? Wanted to know about the fine ladies at the RLD and what the going rate for their services. The interrogator even went through my digital camera and asked the question, “why so many bridges in these pictures” and asked “are these your Arab friends?” Granted, I was a bit tired and exhausted from the night before and of course the trans-Atlantic flight, so I may not have looked so fresh and felt so perky. The people who have these jobs must really enjoy looking for the “bad guy”, they tried their best to find one in me. Hopefully flying back from Brussels I can avoid the Gestapo tactics of homeland security.

Gilby

Posted: 2007-06-14, 2:29 am

teleport123
The best way from the Brussels airport to Maastricht is by rail.

The German Rail website is very easy to use and has an English language option. It is useful for all of Europe and not just Germany. It is www.bahn.de .

I'm guessing from the US that you'll arrive on a Sunday. So, using Sunday July 29
as a search date and 08:00 as a time you get:

Leave Brussels Airport rail station at 08:46
Arrive Brussels Nord station at 9:01

Leave Brussels Nord at 9:06
Arrive Liege-Guillemins at 10:02

Leave Liege-Guillemins at 10:18
Arrive Maastricht at 10:46

Additional trains leave the airport at 9:46, 10:46, 11:46 and so on and follow the same schedule of intermediate times.

It is quicker and easier to get to Maastricht from Brussels than from Amsterdam.

Trains run from the airport very often. Google "Brussels airport" to get information on where the station is and how often the trains run. Note that the Brussels RLD is next to the Nord station, so if you arrive early you can check it out.
Re: Travel advice needed, Brussels to Maastricht
Posted: 2007-06-14, 4:22 pm

block
Hey I have visited the circuit in Francorchamps the past two years.I stay in Maastricht and catch the train/bus down to Francorchamps.Best route from Brussles to Maastricht is by train.If interested in train and bus tips to the circuit let me know and I will PM you.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2007-06-14, 4:39 pm

Gilby
Thanks so much for your reply and the link to the German rail website. It is very helpful and will save me time and money. The suggestion to check out the Brussels RLD has made my “Things to do” list.

Is there anybody who could share their experiences from a past Belgium Grand Prix?

Thanks Teleport

Gilby

Posted: 2007-06-14, 10:45 pm

block
http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/index.php

Gilby this website is for the Belgium rail.It can be very helpful in finding connections between Maastricht and Francorchamps.There is no train service into Francorchamps but a bus will drop you off right at the Eau Rouge entrance.You have to catch a train to Liege and then make another connection before the short bus ride.

I have been to the 24 hour race and the 1000km race here and it is well worth the visit.This curcuit is really a thing of beauty.Be sure and carry yourself some rain gear because rain is a given.Francorchamps is a very small town and when raceday rolls around it can be rather crowded with folks enjoying themselves.No problem with carrying yourself a bit of smoke because there is a lot of places to puff up and anyways nobody really cares.If you have the chance walk the entire curcuit.It takes awhile to do and you will be shocked at the changes in the incline of the track.Eau Rouge seems like you are walking up a mountain.If you have any questions let me know,as I said I have been to this track a couple of times and I have spent several weeks in Maastricht so I can give you some good tips on that as well.

Miles Davis
Posted: 2007-07-02, 9:08 am

Cimarronin
I did Brussells to Maastricht, but had to stop in Leige, which the Walloons prounounced Yish, to change trains. I was told that if didn't get off I would end up in Oopa (sp) on the border with Germany. What might make it worhwhile is that you could probably very easiily get to Aachen,which was Charlemagne headquartes circa 800AD. I remember paying about US200 for a three country rail pass covering Belgium, Luxembourg, and the Netherlands. It was worth it.
Post new topic  Board index » Amsterdam & Netherlands » Other Cities :: the Netherlands  Page 1 of 1
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: