Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 73 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Final plans with prostitution in Amsterdam
Posted: 2008-12-06, 11:13 am

OldAmsterdam
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Coming Monday 8 December the Amsterdam city council presents the long expected note on their final plans with the prostitution in Amsterdam. See: http://www.amsterdam.nl/?ActItmIdt=159117 (in Dutch)

Prostitution will only remain in Oude Nieuwstraat and Oudezijds Achterburgwal (with by-streets). To “aim at clarity…” :-(

Anyway, these are the plans for the next ten years. According to the newspaper “Het Parool” Amsterdam will spend 40-50 million Euros to dispossess the landlords in other areas.
Re: Final plans with prostitution in Amsterdam
Posted: 2008-12-06, 11:29 am

soylent Power Kat
You mean the Sexyland/Tromp area is closing? You've got to be fucking kidding me!
Posted: 2008-12-06, 12:53 pm

rheingau Power Kat
It does look this way Soylent, although on a formal basis these are (I think) just proposls. There is a meetign for the public at OZA 78 on Monday morning to present the proposals. Here is the pretty clear statement:

Quote:
Zoneren

De prostitutie wordt verminderd en gezoneerd tot twee overzichtelijke gebieden: 1. De Oude Nieuwstraat en 2. De Oudezijds Achterburgwal en zijstraten. Hiermee blijft de helft van het aanbod bestaan. Prostituees die werkzaam zijn in bordelen die gaan sluiten kunnen via het Prostitutie en Gezondheidscentrum P&G 292 een gezondheidsonderzoek laten doen. Ook kunnen zij in het centrum terecht voor informatie over onder andere arbeidsvoorwaarden, juridische ondersteuning en uitstapmogelijkheden. Hetzelfde geldt voor de coffeeshops. In een gefaseerde aanpak worden straten aangepakt. Het aantal coffeeshops zal in de plannen met maximaal de helft worden verminderd.

So as well as the two streets mentioned by oldamsterdam, reference to half the existing windows being closed (I assume total Wallen numbers here are beign used), how currently active girls in affected establishments can get help, and also how "at least" half the current coffee shops will be closed as well.

There are a range of businesses wanting or ready to expand their area of currrent operation. Their names are all mentioned, so as well as the banks, The Krasnopolsky and Beijenkorf are large existing local players here. The 'owners' affected will be bought out - I am sure they are all very happy about the prospect of a good price, sales of commercial and residential property will after all be very slow in the 'normal' world over the next year or two (or three, or , ...!).

It's going to look different that's for sure!
Posted: 2008-12-06, 1:33 pm

paniked Power Kat
here's the AP's version of the story for those who don't read Dutch

Dec 6th, 2008 | AMSTERDAM, Netherlands -- Amsterdam unveiled plans Saturday to shutter up to half of its famed brothels and marijuana cafes as part of a major cleanup of its ancient city center.

The city says it wants to drive organized crime out of the neighborhood, and is targeting businesses that "generate criminality," including prostitution, gambling parlors, "smart shops" that sell herbal treatments, head shops and "coffee shops" where marijuana is sold openly.

"By reduction and zoning of these kinds of functions, we will be able to manage better and tackle the criminal infrastructure," the city said in a statement.

It said it would also reduce a number of business it sees as related to the "decay" of the center, including peep shows, sex shows, sex shops, mini supermarkets, massage parlors and souvenir shops.

The city said there were too many of these and it believes some are used for money-laundering by drug dealers and the human traffickers who supply many of the city's prostitutes.

Under the plan announced Saturday, Amsterdam will spend euro30-euro40 million ($38-$51 million) to bring hotels, restaurants, cultural organizations and boutiques to the center. It will also build new underground parking areas for cars and bikes and may use some of the vacated buildings to ease a housing shortage.

Amsterdam already had plans to close many brothels and said last month it might close some coffee shops throughout the city, but the plans announced Saturday go much further.

The city said it would offer retraining to prostitutes and coffee shop employees who will lose their jobs as a result of the plan.

Prostitution, which has spread into several areas of the center, will be allowed only in two areas -- notably De Wallen ("The Walls"), a web of streets and alleys around the city's medieval retaining dam walls. The area has been a center of prostitution since before the city's golden shipping age in the 1600s.

Prostitution was legalized in the Netherlands in 2000, formalizing a long-standing tolerance policy.

Marijuana is technically illegal in the Netherlands, but prosecutors won't press charges for possession of small amounts and the coffee shops are able to sell it openly.

Posted: 2008-12-06, 1:36 pm

cmanc
In the uk this news has even been on teh national radio shows....
I agree to clean up the bad parts of the RLD, get teh criminals out but be careful amsterdam, this could cut off a huge income from visiters.
So shall we all visit as many times as possible in teh next few years before everything goes for good.
Shame....
Posted: 2008-12-06, 1:44 pm

danny69 Power Kat
Thanks Paniked. I can admit a failing in not understanding sufficient Dutch. A question please: I've always deemed [eg. in my reports] De Wallen to include the streets such as Sint Annen, Tromp etc. By your understanding, are these now scheduled for closure and, if so, what exactly is the tolerance zone the city is [now] deeming De Wallen?
Posted: 2008-12-06, 5:10 pm

adamster202
I don't understand about the coffeeshops part. I thought the post earlier said they would leave them alone?
Posted: 2008-12-06, 5:29 pm

AmsterdamChris Admin
They even have the article on the first page of cnn.com:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/12 ... index.html

This will be terrible if it really happens
Posted: 2008-12-06, 5:41 pm

OldAmsterdam
I have now read the complete statement (52 pages).

Indeed the area St. Annen, Trompet, Dollebegijn etc. will go from 70 to 0 (zero) windows (Shame!)

The number of coffeshops will go from 76 to 38.

However, these are the goals in the report. It won’t be done tomorrow. The final decision will be made May/June 2009. At least it will take five years to dispossess the premises etc. In between there will be new elections… Let’s hope the final situation will not be as bad as the council now predicts. This still is Amsterdam…
Posted: 2008-12-06, 7:48 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
Absolute lunacy... I can't believe this. Seriously, I'm gutted. This has ruined my day. Amsterdam is a magical place, and now they want to move it closer to resembling every other piece of shit city in the world?!?! Isn't it great when a city forgets what made it successful...... FUCK! I will certainly pack in as many visits as possible before this tragedy occurs. I'm not going anymore if they close all the kamers in the Sexyland area. Sometimes I really fucking hate life and the human race... grrrrrr....

Posted: 2008-12-06, 8:03 pm

pepsi
Wow this is incredible. Saw it first this morning on CNN/Europe. They must not care about the lost revenue. Very sad day.
Posted: 2008-12-06, 8:09 pm

jgramos Moderator
They're obviously not too concerned about the global financial troubles! The Netherlands mustn't need the tourism!

It'll be a sad day if these plans get implemented!

Peace

Posted: 2008-12-06, 9:29 pm

TribSupporting Member
Supporting Member
I was very sad when I look at the news this morning. I was supposed to go back in Dec (after 3yrs absence) but work got inthe way.

Although I am very happy to have a job right now I am mad about missing the Dam in all its glory. I guess I will try and get there next year. When are the changes proposed to start?

Posted: 2008-12-06, 9:55 pm

SVU18 Power Kat
This reminds me of Times Square in the early 90's. They cleaned up the place sure. But now its like go to fucking Disney Land . The chain restuarants are everywhere; Applebees heaven, yuch!! There is no carachter left, just a bunch of tourists snapping photos . I hope this is not what the Dutch have in mind. I am really going to savor my March trip. It may not be the same when I return again.

Posted: 2008-12-06, 10:53 pm

SVU18 Power Kat
Just saw this on MSN.COM

Picture showing the Exterior of Amsterdam Coffeeshop the Bulldog, taken November 21 2008. The city of Amsterdam has decided to close 43 coffeeshops, the Bulldog is one of them. The city council also raised concern that the bill would lead to an increase in the number of dealers peddling all types of drugs on the streets if too many cannabis-selling coffee shops are closed. In 1976, the Netherlands decriminalised the consumption of cannabis, and the possession of less than five grams. Its cultivation and wholesale remains prohibited
inline image

Posted: 2008-12-06, 11:03 pm

jgramos Moderator
That Bulldog wouldn't be too much of a loss.

I agree with what they're saying, street-dealers will multiply if they shutdown too many coffeeshops! It also wouldn't suprise me if hard-drug taking was to increase as well.

Peace

(1000th post! Woo hoo!)

Posted: 2008-12-06, 11:26 pm

smuler Power Kat
JG

Congrats on 1000

Best Regards

Smuler

Posted: 2008-12-07, 1:05 am

george47 Power Kat
Obviously this is bad news but I for one am not panicking yet. It's not happening tomorrow and I am sure there will be many twists and turns regarding this story. While there's still loads of lovely ladies lets just enjoy it and forget about what might or might not happen. Worrying certainly won't change anything apart from your current enjoyment.
Posted: 2008-12-07, 1:26 am

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
funny how i didnt get congrats on my 1000 isnt it?

Posted: 2008-12-07, 1:59 am

Matty
LOL congrats on your 1020 post greenhoff!
 [ 73 posts ]  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: