Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 10 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Late night bars
Posted: 2012-08-12, 8:14 pm

burty76
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Could you helpful chaps recommend some late night bars in or near the RLD?

I'm going Wednesday to Saturday in a couple of weeks and am staying at the quirky Inntel hotel in Zaandam. There are trains back there as late as 1.15am but if I fancy carrying on drinking is there anywhere I can go until the first train in the morning just after 5am?
Re: Late night bars
Posted: 2012-08-12, 8:40 pm

sebx14
Cafe Savoy off Rembrandtplein. Kind of a weird place, and not close to my first choice by any means but its open until 5 on weekends and maybe till like 4-430 on week? Im sure there is others, but it can be hard getting into bars after 3 which is usually when I have the chance and this is easy to get into
Posted: 2012-08-12, 9:33 pm

Mister Mingeater
Hi,
Central location not far from Dam square, open midweek 10pm to 3am and Friday/Saturday until 4am, Café De Buurvrouw, Sint Pieterspoortsteeg 29, Amsterdam.
http://www.debuurvrouw.nl/
Site is in Dutch but plenty of pics, a map and some info in English, beer not too pricey either. Gets busy with other late drinkers, a decent and usually local happy clientele
Enjoy
Mr M

Posted: 2012-08-12, 10:42 pm

burty76
Thanks for the suggestions!

Any near the RLD itself? I think I've seen somewhere called Players mentioned on here before?
Posted: 2012-08-13, 1:09 pm

BlutoBlutarsky Admin
burty76 wrote:
Any near the RLD itself? I think I've seen somewhere called Players mentioned on here before?

I think Players (on Warmoestraat) isn't really a normal bar but more like a club with a dance floor, etc. I barely remember... haven't been in years... last time I tried to go in for a beer a few weeks ago the dickhead bouncer brusquely denied me entry anyway (I wasn't drunk... I think the problem was that I wasn't female). I don't know how late they're open. I think they did me a favour because I did a search here just now and the place sounds like a ripoff (50 euros for 4 whiskeys, one guy said!)

Posted: 2012-08-13, 6:33 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
Hi burty,

There is also a cafe called "San Francisco Bar", next to the RLD, in Zeedijk 40. It's a nightbar, open till 4.00 in the morning. Seems quite an experience being there even I've never been into...

It's said that working girls used to have a drink after their work in there...Don't know if it still the case nowdays...

Cafe Pleinzicht is also right in the middle of RLD (Oudekkenisteeg) but it's closing earlier (1.00am on week days, and 3.00 am from Friday to Sunday)

Last edited by Carice Liefde on 2012-08-13, 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2012-08-13, 6:40 pm

burty76
Thanks very much. If anyone is around from August 29th to 31st I'll buy them a pint!
Posted: 2012-08-13, 6:42 pm

Carice Liefde Power Kat
burty76 wrote:
Thanks very much. If anyone is around from August 29th to 31st I'll buy them a pint!

I wish I could !

Anyway, enjoy your trip !

Cheers.
Posted: 2012-11-10, 4:06 pm

talggreven
You can sit at the Old Nickel,i think its open to 4 a clock,they have a good list of beers
Posted: 2012-11-12, 4:15 pm

Roland Power Kat
You did not ask but............there are also night buses. You can also take a cab rather than losing your nights accomodations. You could also (if you rent a bicycle) ride home. 35 minutes on the paths though it depends on how drunk you feel and how in shape you are. Hotel can help you rent a bike and will provide a map and you can take the bike on the train.

Having said the foregoing.....why bars in the RLD? You could go dancing at Nooidlanding at the Paradiso on Thursdays starting around midnight till 6 am. Also Bourbon Street is open till at least 4 and 5 on weekends AND with live nusic. Maloe Melo is also open till really late.

I sometimes stay up aftyer a night out and go and watch the Albert Cuyp market being set up. They start at 5:45 or 6 am. I find it interesting to watch as I was born in the neighbourhood and they do it so quietly. Lots of precision but they have done it for 100 years. Take down at 4:30 pm is a lot noisier. There are a couple of coffee shops that open at 6 for coffees and breakfast so you can really get the feel for it all.

I like to have what I call true Dutch experiences and while it is not a tourist attraction (except during the dayrtime) there are about 20 guys who have been doing this job for decades and will likely do it for decades more. Most Dutch people would like to see it but are not around at that time....yet everyone in the Pijp is familiar with the ritual as the stands are all stored in ground and underground garages within a couple of blocks from the market.

Regards, Roland

[ 10 posts ] 

Jump to: