Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 75 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Amsterdam RLD to be sent packing...
Posted: 2021-02-04, 12:22 pm

Grassleaf
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
Shinken69 wrote:
pw999 wrote:
GeorgeK2 wrote:
Depressing that in the middle of a global pandemic the politicians priorities are shutting down legal prostitution & weed. Guess it must be because they 'care'.

There are plenty of people that really want to visit Amsterdam just because of the historic houses and canals. Yes, fools, I know.

There are, but I doubt they would keep coming back again and again, 3, 4 or 5 times per year, for 25+ years.
Ultimately, if Amsterdammer’s want their city back, that’s their business.
If they make all of these changes at once, it will gut the centrum.

Or even every couple of years like me; I've been to many European cities... once. After that why go back again unless you have to for business? Amsterdam has regular tourist attractions and is a beautiful city, it is what I like about the place. But I've already been to the zoo, the museums and on the canals lol. As people elsewhere have said, if I want to see canals I can go to Venice, and if Amsterdam wants to turn itself into Stockholm then it will need to come up with a new economy that isn't based around services and tourism, because art galleries and statues are not why most tourists comes to Amsterdam.

Cracking down on the drunks might be a good idea. The last time I visited the place at night I only ever considered the side streets in De Wallen as the main areas were full of morons wandering around gaping and the potential to be filmed by some idiot and have my face posted online was just too high for an era of facial recognition.
Posted: 2021-02-04, 1:07 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
I mostly don’t go to Amsterdam anymore.
It’s normally The Hague these days or Alkmaar.
I’ll go to Amsterdam for the day, occasionally an overnight.
I do this mostly for nostalgia, to visit a favourite girl (fewer and fewer these days) or restaurant.
The RLD is almost a complete no-go on Fri-Sun evenings.
However, most of the throng have zero interest in visiting the rooms and have indulged in too much beer rather than weed.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen this kind of behaviour in any coffeeshop.
I really don’t understand why the cops aren’t cracking down on it.
Dutch cops certainly are not shy, I’ve seen them forcefully deal with large groups of football fans.
If I wanted to bring down their numbers, I’d target budget hotels, cheap drinking establishments and enforce the existing laws.
It’s not rocket science to figure out hotel capacity within reach of the centrum.
Who grants hotel & drink licenses if not the city council???
Where did they expect all of those people were going to go?

Posted: 2021-02-04, 3:39 pm

GeorgeK2
Grimnul. You are completely right its drunks that are the nuisance, many of the worst seem to be British. I have been to Amsterdam maybe 13-14 times in the last 5 years, & I like the city but I also want women & weed availability. Typical of a bunch of publicly financed pols - who have suffered zero financial loss due to covid - to inflict unnecessary economic damage on the useful people running cafes, bars, restaurants in the Wallen.
Posted: 2021-02-04, 5:57 pm

rodney
I agree with you Grimnul.Venice believe it or not is a good example for Amsterdam.If u break the rules in Venice they come down on you hard.for example if you swim in the canal u get a 500 euro fine and are immediately thrown out of the city.Amsterdam needs to get tough with tourists who don't show respect!
Posted: 2021-02-04, 8:26 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
This shouldn't be surprising. Basically what has happened is COVID-19 has created an alternative Amsterdam, one which is not so dominated by the crush of tourism. The locals have seen the alternative and they like it.

From May...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/05/06/city-is-ours-again-how-pandemic-relieved-amsterdam-overtourism/?tid=a_inl_manual&tidloc=4

Posted: 2021-02-04, 8:33 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
weasel9x9 wrote:
Did you look at the list of possible new sites?
What the Fuck?
None of those are areas that I would want to visit.

Do you (or does anyone else) have a link for this list of possible new sites? Most news coverage implies specific new possible locations haven't been announced.

Posted: 2021-02-04, 8:33 pm

grimnul Power Kat
neurosynth wrote:
This shouldn't be surprising. Basically what has happened is COVID-19 has created an alternative Amsterdam, one which is not so dominated by the crush of tourism. The locals have seen the alternative and they like it.

From May...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/05/06/city-is-ours-again-how-pandemic-relieved-amsterdam-overtourism/?tid=a_inl_manual&tidloc=4

I mean, they like it now. They may not so much in a couple years when everyone’s going out of business because they live in a city with a tourism-based economy that’s decided to scare away all its tourists.

Like, I get it. Having all those people around acting like jackasses all the time would suck. I wouldn’t want to live around that shit either. But as I said before, this is an enforcement issue. They need to get the message out that they’re not Las Vegas. If you come to Amsterdam and act like a drunken asshole, there’re gonna be consequences. Shotgun blasting pretty much ALL tourism is not the way. You guys want people like me coming to your city.
Posted: 2021-02-04, 8:40 pm

neurosynthPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Is this the aforementioned list of possible sites?

https://nltimes.nl/2020/11/09/halsema-presents-detailed-plan-new-sex-hotel-amsterdam

Posted: 2021-02-04, 10:09 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
neurosynth wrote:

Yep! That’s them.
A shithole everyone.
Maybe they would be transformed by the influx of mongers and tourists, eventually.

Posted: 2021-02-05, 6:15 am

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Yes Neuro,
that's it.
The outlet mall story was in Dutchnews.nl a few weeks ago.
I can't imagine taking a train out to an eros center. Ugh!

Weasel

Posted: 2021-02-05, 1:24 pm

whatevr018
Anyone know what’s going to happen to the singel and de pijp areas? Also I think changing the RLD, if ever, will take a lot longer then they think.
Posted: 2021-02-05, 2:17 pm

Shinken69 Power Kat
The other RLD areas haven’t been mentioned specifically, but I would imagine that at least the Singel would be wound into the out of town move.
We can’t have the drunken tourist rabble moving on to the Jordan.

Hopefully, the Pijp would be left alone.
Most tourists don’t know that it exists.

Posted: 2021-02-05, 6:11 pm

rodney
I don't think we need to worry about the Wallen disappearing in the next few years.I think due to Covid it won't be taking place in the immediate future.Plus something like this is fairly large scale so it would take time to implement.However in five years time it might be gone!
Posted: 2021-02-05, 10:02 pm

pw999
neurosynth wrote:

From May...

Can't blame them. The amount of tourists in Amsterdam had definitely gotten out of hand. The city is too small for that kind of influx.
Posted: 2021-02-05, 10:03 pm

Hotsauced
Shameful...I enjoyed many experiences of walking DeWallen, Single and De pipj high as a kite and finding nice ladies like Vicky and Tania, and countless others one time hotties.. Amsterdam with all of it's history won't be the same. The last time I got to enjoy Amsterdam was 2016! ! It's like the end history!! On the bright side, ive opened up to asians...wholly mother fucking God! And no, there are safe ones!
Posted: 2021-02-05, 10:55 pm

rodney
what you mean safe one's?

I think we will get to enjoy the Wallen for a few more years surely! One thing is for sure there will never be anything like it again.We will have great memories!
Posted: 2021-02-06, 12:08 am

jefke
whatevr018 wrote:
Anyone know what’s going to happen to the singel and de pijp areas? Also I think changing the RLD, if ever, will take a lot longer then they think.

Some info from:

https://www.amsterdam.nl/bestuur-organi ... scenario'/

The 'Plan' does not mention reduction of windows in RDK. Halsema talks about a timeframe of 3.5 to 10 years after a location has been selected.

Market studies - and the case of Utrecht - show that it will not be easy to find investors. Real estate/banks are reluctant and the risk is high.

A valid business case would need at least 40 rooms, in the pdf dated 3 nov they talk about 100 working places.

It is still not clear what it's going to be: 'Prostitution Hotel' (internet advertising), 'Erotic Centre' (indoor windows, Laufhauser style) or a combination of both.

(PS: I don't visit de wallen anymore since I couldn't stand the mass tourism and gawkers, but I don't think I have interest in the proposed alternatives from what I've read).
Posted: 2021-02-07, 2:21 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
This sadly has been on the cards for quite a few years now !! so no surprise to me !!

Girls like Max/Marta/German KIm and other favourites knew it too, thats why they quit de wallen and got out

been ages since i"ve been to Amsterdam, will probably go back, not for sex, but my love for the city and the lovely Dutch people.

To compare my last visit 2018 to my 1st in 1972 is heartbreaking, just glad i had just over 40+yrs of fun

regards

Posted: 2021-02-07, 3:17 pm

rodney
Greenhoff when do u think this is likely to go ahead? Also what do u think regarding the cannabis ban?
Posted: 2021-02-07, 3:33 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
no good asking me mate
havent been over for 3yrs, think the council must be mad, im sure the percentage of visitors go to de wallen either to gawp or see the girls
as for cannabis, no idea, i dont smoke anymore after spending an evening with Bluto [he"ll know lol]

its Frankfurt for me these days
regards

[ 75 posts ]  Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: