Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 9 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Bad experiences during holidays
Posted: 2021-02-14, 2:45 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I was thinking

I have been travelling alone since 2008 varius places and been very lucky with travel plans delays but no cancellations.

Ive hurt myself a few times but no hospital stays while abroad i had a friend flew to spain leaving the plane he fell down the stairs broke his arm 5.days in hospital and they got him a fligjt home.

Ive had a few falls ruptured a veign in my foot which blead out for a while and had to bandage up and rest in hotel next day which was about the worst thing to happen.Had to cancel my booking at park 118 with dora

I remember i searched the net that night and got a taxi from ams Central to the hoek at got the ferry home.

No fights muggings wallet stolen etc.
One time in ams i went to club yin yan for a day took the money i needed for that day left my hotel.Coming back i had
Left everything out of the safe cleaner had been in room aswell everything was still in place perfect.
I remember seeing the cleaning staff next day and i gave them 50 euro to share.

So i feel extremely lucky in 13 years as a loan travel.

Any horror stories out there???
Re: Bad experiences during holidays
Posted: 2021-02-14, 4:49 pm

rodney
The worst I have heard of is not from muggings or that. I know people who know people who died when travelling. One died from blood poisoning in Thailand and another from electrocution (pissed on a live wire in India).
Posted: 2021-02-14, 8:53 pm

Anglofil
The last 30 yrs (well except 2020..), I've travelled 4w every summer by train. Main target Ams and similar places.
I got severe sunburn so I ended up in hospital in Ams, where a very nice redhead doctor helped me. Although with all the bandages and cream on both legs I couldn't visit a kamer :(
Then, next year, I got an allergy reaction from medicin, and when I arrived at the emergency in Ams - it was the very same redhead doctor who treated me (!)
Twice I rescued young girls being assaulted on the train, both times the offender managed to get away from my hands before the conductor and police arrived. One of the girls later invited me to her house in Freiburg ;)
Once I helped a man on the night train from Ams when a bunk bed fell down and made a hole in his head. A lot of blood..
I was robbed in Prag, lost money but wasnt hurt.
Overall I have good memories from my travels around Europe. And as soon it is possible, I'll by my next interrail railpass.
Posted: 2021-02-14, 9:58 pm

IQ
Been traveling for 30 years alone or with family or friends. I've been in a few situations that in hindsight I never should have put myself in – alone in the Honduran jungle with a bunch of locals doing coke for example. I've been scammed a few times, like the money changer on the street in Prague who offered me a great exchange rate (what was I thinking?). I've learned mostly to avoid rowdy drunks after a few near-fist fights. I've had a few minor issues that required medical care. In many places (eg Mexico) I was able to get what I needed from the pharmacy without even seeing a doctor. Try that in the USA, and you will fail. In fact the worst violence I have seen was getting mugged at gunpoint in my home city. I now like to think of myself as fairly street-smart. When out at night in the RLD or roaming strange cities I sometimes carry a mugger's wallet and leave my passport in the hotel. Overall travel has been rewarding.
Posted: 2021-02-15, 1:31 am

paolo2
I've had a few problems in Amsterdam with aggressive panhandlers, but it never turned into anything serious.

One young guy appeared to be high on something and was staggering around demanding money from people on the sidewalk; he was grabby as well, trying to grab shirts, reaching for wallets, etc. Soon it was my turn and he tried the same routine on me. I swatted at him like a fly and told him to fuck off, but that only made him redouble his efforts. Finally I pulled a Mini MagLite flashlight from my pocket and gripped it like a kubaton- when he saw that he lost interest and proceeded to bother someone else.

Another time some guy started walking alongside me and incessantly requested money, giving me his tale of woe. He wouldn't leave no matter how often I refused to give him anything. At one point I stopped, thrust my right index finger in his face and started yelling RAUS! RAUS! MACH SCHNELL! MACH SCHNELL! (I saw German soldiers do that to prisoners in a WWII movie one time, except they used rifles with bayonets, not index fingers). To my astonishment, he actually ran away!

On another occasion a young lady sidled up to me on a crowded busy sidewalk and kept asking for money. This time I tried remaining mute; this, however, annoyed her. She loudly said "HEY, I'M TALKING TO YOU!" Just then I saw my chance to quickly sidestep into an entryway; the foot traffic was so fast and dense she was swept away by the crowd.
Posted: 2021-02-15, 1:33 am

funfor2houston
Twenty five years traveling through Europe and we have been lucky. The woes that ever happened was about 15 years ago . Why I don’t know but we were on Damrak across from Central Station just walking towards Dam Square. We came upon what we thought were Moroccans . One guy dropped his hat in front of one of our friends and he kicked it. They punched our friend he was drunk they started yelling move on. A guy that used to go with us big John always was lagging behind . So he walks up and asks what happened . He grabs the guy that punched our friend and runs the guys head into a building . Like out of the old west bam bam everyone is fighting . These guys looked like late teens but they ran into the street yelling at us . We found a police officer , he said they were happy slapping ...never heard of that . Today years later as we are all old men and We all laugh about it.
One other time another friend on their first visit he loses 2000. Eu . He thought the room service did it so he went to the owner . The owner brought the Room Service in and grilled them ...Nope they knew nothing, when they were getting ready to leave (packing ) he found his money stuck in an extra pair of boots. He was so embarrassed he gave the room service 100.eu .
Posted: 2021-02-17, 5:49 pm

greenhoffSupporting Member
Supporting Member
Been pretty lucky in my travels [ touch wood]
Got ripped off in Hamburg in a bar, when a girl sat next to me, bought her a drink and the bill came to roughly £100. couldnt leg it, 2 huge guys on the door,

caught the dreaded crabs from a girl in Martas old room, itchy little critters, gave my Dr a laugh anyway.!!

saw a girl smashed to pieces on the coral on the north shore in Honolulu, you need to be an expert riding those 30 footers, ...sadly she wasnt , horrible site

caught without a ticket going to airport in Frankfurt, annoying thing is i ALWAYS buy a ticket, just the one time i didnt, i got caught

regards

Posted: 2021-02-17, 10:42 pm

ams2008damPower Kat XXX
Power Kat XXX
greenhoff wrote:
Been pretty lucky in my travels [ touch wood]
Got ripped off in Hamburg in a bar, when a girl sat next to me, bought her a drink and the bill came to roughly £100. couldnt leg it, 2 huge guys on the door,

caught the dreaded crabs from a girl in Martas old room, itchy little critters, gave my Dr a laugh anyway.!!

saw a girl smashed to pieces on the coral on the north shore in Honolulu, you need to be an expert riding those 30 footers, ...sadly she wasnt , horrible site

caught without a ticket going to airport in Frankfurt, annoying thing is i ALWAYS buy a ticket, just the one time i didnt, i got caught

regards

Had the bar girl scam in soho went in one of them clubs went downstairs sat with a girl had a drink and a table dance where it was illegal for her to take her clothes of.

I said im leaving now was hit with the bill i said i only had £80 which i paid and left door staff git involved in emptying my pockets.All they left me with was my travel card.Glad that was all i lost.

For a while i fancied getting a bit of revenge but was just a lesson learned.
Posted: 2021-02-18, 3:02 am

lilji
My first visit to Amsterdam, I was 22 and backpacking solo around Europe. My very first day of my trip. Some guy around De Wallen started chatting (had a US accent) and pretended he was backpacking too. Said he was gonna go get some weed to share but he'd need 50 Euro...realised he was a scam artist and told him to fuck off and he got very aggressive but luckily two police appeared from nowhere and he just started walking.

Found an old woman with her hand in my pocket in Brussels North Station...she managed to grab 5 Euro.

In Poznan, Poland some old beggar guy was asking for money. I was sitting eating a KFC in the train station. He then put his hand next to.my pocket, causing me to put both my hands down to stop him...his other hand grabbed a price of chicken off my tray and he walked away laughing and shrugging his shoulders. I actually laughed at this, purely for his brass neck.

In Berlin, me and 3 mates had put all our coins in the centre of the table in a bar to count out and buy a round from the scrap. A woman beggar came in and immediately all our eyes were focused on our coins (less than 20 euros in total)...as we were distracted, my mates iPhone got stolen. So we protected 20 euro for the sake of an expensive phone.
 [ 9 posts ] 

Jump to: