Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 32 posts ]  Previous  1, 2
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Re: Traveling from US to Amsterdam
Posted: 2021-09-05, 10:34 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 

That is one horrible travel story.
I'm probably going to lose my October trip as well.
I think you still have a better chance of returning before I do.
If you are in Mexico for 10 days before your trip, you follow Mexican rules.
The quarantine thing just kills it for me.

Weasel

Posted: 2021-09-06, 9:35 am

averagejoe
that sucks!! sorry to hear that....

hmm ... may I ask why the US is considering a high risk country all of a sudden? the US vaccination program should be similar to the one within EU?

most of the other countries are second or third world countries and (I guess?) their program might not run as good as US/EU etc
Posted: 2021-09-06, 2:10 pm

420XXX
Thanks for the information,,its very unclear since there are many US Passport holders that live as Expats in countries in the High Risk area vs Very High Risk. I think it would be difficult to deny entrance to those demographics. Proving that I live in a High Risk area is the key to avoiding the required 10 day Quarantine. My Mexican Resident Card should work but still not 100% sure. I have written the NL authorities to clarify that.

Can you imagine getting ready to board on a First Class Ticket on a Dreamliner 787 and then losing your Passport, after waiting almost two years since I purchased the original Ticket. I am not a novice traveller,,been to NL over 40 times in the last 20 years + many other international trips....

Crazy

Thanks again for your resonse.
Posted: 2021-09-06, 7:57 pm

Supporting Member
There are a couple of reasons for changes in the risk assessment.

Incidence per 100,000 over the past week:

Israel 13,000
US 12,000
Netherlands 11,000
Most of the rest of Europe 10,000
Germany 5,000
Canada 4,200
China 8

None of those numbers meet the goal of 4k/100k. Except China, and I think we can all agree that the Chinese are not reporting accurately.

Testing is much more common now, including testing of asymptomatic kids returning to school.
Hospitalizations and deaths have not gone up in parallel with the rise in incidence this summer.
They are still not great numbers, but the sick and elderly are doing better with this wave.
The biggest growth in positive tests is in the young. The biggest growth in testing is also in the young.
This might be a case where aggressive testing is skewing data.
We are finding more cases, but current cases are less severe.
The lowest incidence of disease is now in the poorest countries...the ones without much testing capacity.
I don't think anyone would propose moving to Africa or Central America to avoid the virus, but that is what the currently reported data suggests. This data is questionable.

I think there is fear that as schools re-open, that there will be another spike.
Not sure how travel restrictions will affect this, but people are getting burnt out, and quarantines look good to the frightened.

There is also the political issue. The US has not re-opened to EU travelers. There was an agreement for US/EU travel in January, but it was cancelled the day BIden took office. The EU went ahead and reopened over part of the summer. The US never reopened, and is not publicly discussing any plans for reopening. This caused a Dutch minister to refuse to attend meetings in the US in protest (Politicians get exemptions to travel. How lucky)

I don't expect to be able to travel to Europe until Spring 2022. And I think the EU will shut down US travel even longer if they don't get reciprocity from the US.

Weasel

Posted: 2021-09-06, 10:09 pm

IQ
weasel9x9 wrote:
There is also the political issue. The US has not re-opened to EU travelers. There was an agreement for US/EU travel in January, but it was cancelled the day BIden took office. The EU went ahead and reopened over part of the summer. The US never reopened, and is not publicly discussing any plans for reopening.

I suspect this is a big part of it. 1) the USA not offering reciprocal travel really pissed off the EU officials — rightly so — the USA not even allowing in vaccinated Europeans was BS, and 2) the summer tourist season is winding down. That said, Europe really needed to tighten up and require testing or proof of vaccination for entry. The idea of considering the USA a "safe" country was always crazy.

On top of that, add in the situation in Afghanistan. The EU isn't interested in doing the USA any favors.

But again, it's your recent travel history that matters, not your passport. I am saying this from experience.
Posted: 2021-09-06, 10:52 pm

420XXX
Here is the answer from the NL Embassy in Mexico City clarifying that as a US Passport Holder residing in Mexico I am exempt from the USA Ban and EU Ban. Who would ever think that it's safer in Mexico than in the USA?

The travel is defined from the country you are travelling from not the country of your nationality.

Thanks. So with a Mexican Permanent Resident Card, proof of Valid Vaccination, Dutch Entry Affidavit and Passport i will not be required to Self Quarantine? Sorr

MEX-CA
10:13 AM (5 hours ago)

At this moment travelling from Mexico no quarantine is required.

Re-booking for next week for 3 weeks.
Posted: 2021-09-06, 11:46 pm

Supporting Member
Looks like I will have to live vicariously through you.
Please write. We all need it now.

Regarding Afghanistan, the issue is not the happiness of our EU allies. If the administration gave a shit, they would be communicating better, and coordinating actions, and that is clearly not the plan.
The problem is 200,000 people in Doha, Abu Dubai, and Ramstein, or in lockdown at US bases, waiting for clearance.
State Dept, Customs, Homeland Security are all overwhelmed trying to process these people. Good luck with that.
With no US Embassy in Kabul, and no functioning Afghani government, just how do they plan to vet these people?
Call the Taliban Immigration Help Line?
That leaves nobody to do regular passport and visa checks. Routine travel would be slow and painful if there was any interest in restarting.

Gutted,
Weasel

Posted: 2021-09-10, 4:11 pm

averagejoe
regarding EU.
Denmark and Sweden are lifting ALL restrictions next week. first two countries that are going 100% back to normal (I guess? might be wrong here). Sweden's restrictions wasnt that hard from the start.

if you haven't rebooked yet it might be an idea to enter EU from the US via those countries instead of going via Mexico and then a direct flight to NL? the trouble starts at the EU border if I get it right? these countries will be easier to enter compared to the NL. however I might be wrong. they might thought about that and will apply some 'special' rules.... let's see in a few weeks.

regarding US. today I heard on the news that Biden is going after all non vaccinated people right now with harder restrictions. according to the news there are 80 million (..!?!) who refuses to take the vaccine there. Thats why nothing moves in the right directions (according to the reporter).
Posted: 2021-09-10, 7:50 pm

Supporting Member
Yeah,
I saw that speech. It was brutal.
I have real doubts about the wisdom or authority behind manditory vaccinations. (I have native immunity AND 2 vaccinations)
Don't expect to see those rules in force without long legal delays.
I also don't think a threatening tone is the best route at this point.
And why would the Postal union be exempt?

The 80 million number he threw out includes people who can't be vaccinated (kids, immune disease)
people who probably shouldn't get vaccinated (pregnant)
and people with native immunity after recovering.
There are still too many people without vaccines, but at 75% adult vaccination, the numbers are on par with most developed countries. Does anyone think minds are going to change at this point?

Welcome to the new normal,
Weasel

Posted: 2021-09-11, 2:15 pm

averagejoe
yes I agree , this is only going to put more gas on the fire for the anti vaccine community. if this 80million figure is including all these categories it shouldn't be worse than any other country.

add the latest story with Joe Rogan (BBC this week) upon that and the deep state community will go nuts this week... hahahah....
Posted: 2021-09-11, 10:15 pm

420XXX
If you are departing from High Risk Country there is no requirement to Quarantine as long as you have proof of Vaccination OR a Negative PCR Test taken within 48 hours of departure or Rapid Test taken within 24 hours of departure.

My flight is Monday from Guadalajara to Mexico City, then Mexico City direct to Amsterdam on a 787 (Business Class upgrade of only $500)

On a side note, I have called the Dutch Immigration Authorities directly at Schipol and received two answers about Test Requirements regarding what is required without Valid Proof of Vaccination

Since I lost my original Covid Vaccine Card I have a Copy printed on the same exact size and weight of card the CDC issues. It would be very difficult for anyone to tell the difference BUT,,,if they have an issue I can produce the following tests if Proof of Vaccination Card is not present..or accepted.

First response -Negative PCR Test required within 48 Hours

Second Response -Negative PCR OR Rapid Test

When I asked the first person they stated it didn't matter what is on-line,,that they require Negative PCR TEST

Will update when I arrive on Tuesday
Posted: 2021-09-14, 9:43 pm

hoogy
According to NLtimes after the press briefing tonight-

"The Cabinet also announced that travellers who have been vaccinated against Covid-19 will not have to quarantine upon arrival in the Netherlands even if they have visited a country where people are at a very high risk of getting infected with the coronavirus. The change in policy will take effect from September 22.

Currently, everyone who arrives from such countries, which currently includes the United States and the United Kingdom, are supposed to enter quarantine for ten days, and can be released from quarantine with a negative test result on the fifth day. About 125 people have been fined hundreds of euros for violating mandatory quarantine rules thus far".
 [ 32 posts ]  Previous  1, 2

Jump to: