Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 6 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
News media in the US regarding weed in De Wallen
Posted: 2023-02-12, 9:57 am

IQ
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
The news media in the U.S. is going wild about a supposedly new ban on smoking weed openly in de Wallen. I thought it was always legally banned. I'm sure that I would have seen a lot more weed smoking on the street if it were not the case. Maybe they just mean in front of the Bulldog.

If weed smoking anywhere in public is allowed, I'd like to know! I try to be discrete during my walks through Vondelpark.
Re: News media in the US regarding weed in De Wallen
Posted: 2023-02-12, 7:56 pm

dorps
IQ wrote:
The news media in the U.S. is going wild about a supposedly new ban on smoking weed openly in de Wallen. I thought it was always legally banned. I'm sure that I would have seen a lot more weed smoking on the street if it were not the case. Maybe they just mean in front of the Bulldog.

If weed smoking anywhere in public is allowed, I'd like to know! I try to be discrete during my walks through Vondelpark.

MID-MAY BAN ON PUBLIC WEED SMOKING

You are quite right. They have just announced that from mid-May, weed smoking in public will be illegal.
My understanding of the current law is that whilst weed smoking in public is illegal, it is decriminalised and falls under the Dutch 'tolerance policy'. The police basically turn a blind eye to most people smoking weed on the streets. From mid-May, the police will take some form of action against you if you smoke in public.

'STAY AWAY' CAMPAIGN FROM SPRING 2023

It is not only public smoking that they have addressed recently. They are also forcing sex workers to close up by 3am rather than the current 6am, and restaurants and bars must also close slightly earlier. Drinking in public is also going to be strictly enforced with no tolerance whatsoever.

They say the problem is twofold; overcrowding and an undesirable image. Apparently it is having a big impact on local residents. It all ties in with the long running discussion that the mayor wants to close the RLD altogether and also prevent tourists from accessing coffee shops.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64591394

They previously produced a report during the height of Covid-19 titled '2025: redesigning the visitor economy of amsterdam'. A lot of the things above are indirectly referenced in this report, so its not as if these measures have suddenly come about - they have been in the pipeline for quite a while:

https://www.readkong.com/page/redesigni ... 25-2858809

Last edited by dorps on 2023-02-12, 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Posted: 2023-02-12, 9:32 pm

weasel9x9Supporting Member
Supporting Member
It is my understanding that this applies only to a small area around the wallen.
It's not like there are a lot of people smoking on the streets.
It will also affect the sidewalk tables, and stop outdoor drinking an hour before closing, which might be 2AM.
We will see how this is enforced in May.

Posted: 2023-02-13, 11:50 am

Grassleaf
I see Amsterdam's mayor continues to hack away at a major economic artery for her city. Well, we'll see. I'm planning to visit in late May and have no particular desire to get stoned in the street when I can do it sitting comfortably in a club with a drink and a deck of cards...
Posted: 2023-02-16, 10:02 pm

averagejoe
you are already getting a ticket for smoking weed in the street, dont you?

(too much) alcohol is the problem ...
Posted: 2023-02-17, 8:23 am

rudystreak
Grassleaf wrote:
I see Amsterdam's mayor continues to hack away at a major economic artery for her city. Well, we'll see. I'm planning to visit in late May and have no particular desire to get stoned in the street when I can do it sitting comfortably in a club with a drink and a deck of cards...

That sounds perfect. I ought to tow around a deck. What's your game?
 [ 6 posts ] 

Jump to: