Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 3 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
cost of public transport
Posted: 2005-04-16, 8:34 pm

anydaySupporting Member
Supporting Member
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
gonna be in town for a few days and although i've used the trams before i've never understood the strippenkaart / dagkaart system. i'd be grateful if someone could explain together with prices. the "public transport" section on this site is a little sketchy and still has prices in fl.

cheers.
Re: cost of public transport
Posted: 2005-04-16, 8:55 pm

hopper Moderator
Hi anyday,

The simplest explanation I've seen for the strppenkaart comes from holland.com at http://www.holland.com/us/index.html?pa ... dam/trans/

Quote:
STRIPPENKAART (PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TICKET)
The tickets used on most public transportation systems are called 'strippenkaart'. The cards can be bought in advance at the public transportation office (GVB sales points) in front of Central Station, at the train station, post office, Amsterdam Tourist Office (VVV) or in tobacco shops. You can also buy the strippenkaart in the tram itself, but you will pay more! Holland is divided into zones of approximately 5 km in section. A ticket (strippenkaart) is divided into a number of strips (2, 3, 8, 15 or 45). You need one strip more than the number of zones in which you want to travel. Usually a tram ride in Amsterdam center is within 1 zone, so that means 2 strips in total have to be stamped. You either stamp the card yourself in the bus or tram, or you can have it stamped by the bus driver or tram conductor. Several people can travel on the same card, as long as the correct number of strips is stamped. Your stamp is valid for one hour, so you can transfer to other buses, subways and trams as long as you stay within the zones you originally stamped your ticket for.

You can find pricing, zone maps, and much more at the official GVB site:
http://www.gvb.nl/english/travellers/ti ... icket.html

hopper
Re: cost of public transport
Posted: 2005-04-17, 12:05 am

anydaySupporting Member
Supporting Member
star man!

cheers hopper.
 [ 3 posts ] 

Jump to: