Ignatzmice Forums

Login  |  Register  |  Advanced Search  |  Help  |  RLD FAQ  |  Archives 1999-2004
 [ 5 posts ] 
  Previous topic :: Next topic
Acro Hotel
Posted: 2005-04-20, 10:08 pm

hotrod_iv
Reply to topic  Reply with quote 
I have a room booked at the Acro Hotel for the 27th - 1st. Can anyone tell me if this is a good location and a good hotel? (I suspect I paid to much but that is my fault).

It's my first trip to Amsterdam and I want to see a variety of the sites. Not really into museums though. Any suggestions would be helpful. I was considering a day trip to one of the surrounding towns.
Re: Acro Hotel
Posted: 2005-04-20, 10:38 pm

Rainer
I know some people who stayed there and their only complaint was that the rooms were very small. Another complaint was the street noise. But the loction is good, although it may be a bit of a walk to the RLD. But there are trams if you don't feel like walking.

Posted: 2005-04-21, 1:42 am

luther vandross
I stayed there years ago, if this is on Jan Luykenstraat. Yes the rooms are quite small but that shouldn't be a major issue since this is your first trip to A'dam and you'll want to spend every waking moment exploring this great city. Yes, you are a long way from the RLD and if you have to hoof it (and know the way) it's about a 40 minute walk at a leisurely pace. Good news is you are in a great area, just down the block from the Rijksmuseum and one block over from Vondel Park in one direction and the Van Gogh museum in the other. You'll want to orient yourself to the Leidseplein because there are many bars, restaurants, etc. The Melkweg for music is there and the Paradiso is not far either, whether there is still music there I don't know. From here, you can catch tram 2 and 5 towards Centraal Station and if you get off next to the Palace on Dam Square all you have to do is walk down the street that runs to the right of the Hotel Krasnapolsky as you face it, make a left at the first canal and you will be headed right in to the RLD. I like the hotel's area because it is a nice change to the hustle and bustle of the Wallen.
Good luck and enjoy Amsterdam, just watch your wallet on the trams.

Posted: 2005-04-21, 8:19 am

clostro Power Kat
Hi,
Stayed also in the Acro a few nights 4 years ago. I remember it was quite (this area is quite especially the night but not far from activities), staff was ok, my room was small but clean. Nothing to add to Luther, completly agree with all he wrote. You will not be far from the Pipj if you are interested. I don't know how much you paid but it should be around 60-70 Euro/night, it is now high season. You may see some french people because this hotel is recommended by the "guide du routard".
Enjoy your trip,
Clostro
Re: Acro Hotel
Posted: 2005-04-21, 10:20 am

oats
hotrod,
You have not done too bad with your choice of hotel, especially for your 1st visit. As for paying too much, nah, at this time of year (so close to Queens Day, which is the 30th) prices tend to go up at most hotels. Your hotel is not too far from the Leisplein, Vondel Park and the upmarket shops of P C Hoofstraat (all are just around the courner).
If your a RLD man, the main two, Wallen & Singel are a bit of a journey (about 20 30 mins on foot), but the 3rd one, Pjip, is just around the courner.
Even if your not a museum fan, check out some, just so you can say you've been to some to any enquiring minds back home.
Visit the Anne Frank house, I found to be a very sobering experience (get there early, can get crowded) or the Budhist Temple(?) in the Zeedijk by the Wallen.
The city is virtually covered wall to wall with museums and culture, I'd be surprised if you did'nt dip your toe into one or two museums or gallerys. I find just wandering around the dam is just as rewarding and there is tons to see and do, trust me you'll find something that will grab your attention. The Jordan district, I find to be particularly nice, especially in spring, to just disappear in.
Get your self a guide book on the city which will get you started, while your getting ready to travel, it will give you additional material. Or check out the city's tourist info website http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/gb/ for additional material.
As for other towns to check out. Harleem or Alkmaar, are great towns, is not too far to get to, have a different vibe to Amsterdam and are well worth a visit.

Enjoy your trip bruv, you'll love it.

oats
 [ 5 posts ] 

Jump to: